Thread: Monroe Brothers Song Books

Default Monroe Brothers Song Books

I am reposting this as I had not received any response and it could be that it was just placed in the wrong forum. I had some views, but not as many as expected for such a topic.

Has anyone seen or heard of the Monroe Brother putting out songbooks? If so, how many did they release?

I have seen one before and never could find anyone to validate how many were made and how rare they might be.

So....I am asking for some assistance on this, does anyone have any history on these?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	315.0 KB 
ID:	171820

Default Re: Monroe Brothers Song Books

I'd say they are rare. Not many collectors I know have them and I don't have them. There were only 2. Are they dated inside? I'd guess the first one on the right is late 1935 to early 1936 and the 2nd one late 1937 or early 1938. Charlie Monroe came out with one in 1940 holding a Martin D28. Bill's first one was in 1947. As far as how many, they toured pretty heavy after these came out in the Southern states and would sell them at shows. Should be 1000's out there that were sold, but how many remain today is rare. I would value them at $100 to $150 each.

Default Re: Monroe Brothers Song Books

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    I'd say they are rare. Not many collectors I know have them and I don't have them. There were only 2. Are they dated inside? I'd guess the first one on the right is late 1935 to early 1936 and the 2nd one late 1937 or early 1938. Charlie Monroe came out with one in 1940 holding a Martin D28. Bill's first one was in 1947. As far as how many, they toured pretty heavy after these came out in the Southern states and would sell them at shows. Should be 1000's out there that were sold, but how many remain today is rare. I would value them at $100 to $150 each.
    @f5loar, they are not dated. They are in amazing condition, not mint, but pretty darn close. I picked up both for $22.00. I couldn’t pay fast enough. I am an avid Monroe collector. I have the Charlie Monroe song book you are referring to as well. I love it when I stumble across Monroe memorabilia.

Thanks for the info and estimated value.

- Mandoplayer00