Thread: Three weeks today

Default Three weeks today

For all of you that may be facing carpal surgery, my three week report. First of all, if you are experiencing tingling or numbness in your fingers, thumb and first two fingers primarily, or wake up with your hand asleep, get checked out. There are two procedures, one more invasive. It won't get better.

But I am experiencing far less pan and suffering that I could have imagined. Now I'm not saying no discomfort, but less than I thought. I'm still following a five pound limit with my left hand. It is still quite sore.

That said, I'm playing my mandolin four times a day for anywhere between ten minutes to half an hour. I'm pushing my limits and backing off or quitting when I reach them. It is stretching the skin across the wound that shuts me down. I can play fiddle tunes and most double stops and three note chords. Four finger chop chords aren't happening yet, and closed position scales take more pressure than comfortable. But I feel playing to the level of some discomfort increases my ability a bit more each day. I don't play to pain. I play to beginning of soreness and shut down.

But this is really much more than I would have hoped for, and my mental attitude is far better being able to play what I can. I even sang some old timey songs at an open mic last Thursday. Might pick up a guitar one of these days.

Still plenty I can't do, but I can do enough.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Default Re: Three weeks today

Keep it up, sounds like you are on the road to playing enjoyment.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Strong work! It will get better in increasing leaps from now on!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Nice if I could have put this in the right place. Alas, brain works on the same low level regardless of the body.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Awesome Br1ck, ... glad to her you are recouping!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    For all of you that may be facing carpal surgery, my three week report. First of all, if you are experiencing tingling or numbness in your fingers, thumb and first two fingers primarily, or wake up with your hand asleep, get checked out. There are two procedures, one more invasive. It won't get better.
    It won't get better, and it can get much, much worse. A cellist friend of mine put it off and put it off, worried about being able to care for herself and her partner afterward. (Despite many genuine offers of help from her community.) By the time she finally was ready to do it, the nerves had been compressed for so long and were so badly damaged that her doctor refused do the surgery, feeling that she stood to gain nothing. She ended up unable to play, which was heartbreaking.

So, folks, take Br1ck's sage advice and get it taken care of!

End of sermon.

7. The following members say thank you to Louise NM for this post:

From above - ''So, folks, take Br1ck's sage advice and get it taken care of!'' Sensible advice from Br1ck & Louise. My sister-in-law let her 'Dupuytren's contracture' in both hands become so severe,that it's now inoperable. She's at the point where she can hardly lift a teacup. She's had to give up driving & now relies on her son to take her shopping & for some household chores. As he's married,she has to wait while he's got some free time. She doesn't like hospitals,depite the fact that the vast majority of folk 'going in', come out better than they went in. Does she regret not having it done ? - you bet !!. But it's too late,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I was told I might no get all the feeling back, and that may well be true, it's been so long since I've felt normal. But the difference is dramatic. Well worth the inconvenience.

I'll wait six months or so and do the other hand before it gets too bad.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1