Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Default Re: Chris Thile's new pick

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    I wonder what kind of socks he is wearing?
    I too wonder about his socks. I think it's a shame we can't see them or his under ware. Really folks what difference does it make what pick he uses. Is it because he appears to have changed from the " holy" blue chip.maybe he lost his BC. I wonder if he saw me perform of he would try to figure out what pic I was using, after all the man puts his pants on the same way I do. He's just a better mandolin player but I bet I'm a better plumber.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    He's just a better mandolin player but I bet I'm a better plumber.
    Oh, man, just about sprayed the keyboard with my morning tea on that one. You made my day!
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

I too wonder about his socks. I think it's a shame we can't see them or his under ware. Really folks what difference does it make what pick he uses. Is it because he appears to have changed from the " holy" blue chip.maybe he lost his BC. I wonder if he saw me perform of he would try to figure out what pic I was using, after all the man puts his pants on the same way I do. He's just a better mandolin player but I bet I'm a better plumber.
    But, can he cut glass?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I'm gonna buy stock in all of the casein pick companies now...
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Blog Entries

He really milks the tone with a Casein pick.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JEStanek For This Useful Post:

It's too late for many of us, as we held the pick tighter and played harder trying to be heard over inferior sound systems, with inferior instruments. Thile is the top, and that is indisputable, but it helped that the soundman was always on his side as well. He is the product of a perfect storm. Crazy talent + ideal terrarium circumstances + top level instruments at every stage of hearing = Chris Thile. It takes it all.
    2019 Duff A-5 #246
    1964 Martin A

10. The following members say thank you to fernmando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    I think the EML Casein server just exploded.
    I hope it does, Eric is a good dude and makes excellent picks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fernmando View Post
    It's too late for many of us, as we held the pick tighter and played harder trying to be heard over inferior sound systems, with inferior instruments. Thile is the top, and that is indisputable, but it helped that the soundman was always on his side as well. He is the product of a perfect storm. Crazy talent + ideal terrarium circumstances + top level instruments at every stage of hearing = Chris Thile. It takes it all.
    Yes. I would only add a crazy level of work and commitment, and note that access to that level of terrarium and instruments comes as part of the success that is a product of crazy talent X crazy level of work and commitment.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

And thus I'd be more in your choice of pipe cutters and adjustable wrenches than his.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

15. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Miller View Post
    He shows a lot of pick, yes. Also looks like it’s flopping around like crazy in a couple of those pictures. I know he says to hold it loose. This really brings that home.
    Notice how forward the pick is in his thumb/finger grip. For me it is an optimal position for a loose pick grip.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Wilson For This Useful Post:

There comes a time in threads like these where I feel compelled to point out that Thile thinks long and hard about things like picks, strings, instruments, microphones and how to use them to make music. It's not foolish to learn from him on these subjects, as long as your expectations are realistic.

He got so hyped talking tools in this interview, that I never convinced his publicist to give me more time to finish the interview. But it's on the To Do list, and he lives just a mile away, so I'll get to it one day. At the latest, when he finishes recording Bach's solo violin works.

Chris Thile on Recording Back - Part 1

And I'll add that his thoughts have shifted over the years. He keeps an open mind and big ears. When he has something to say about music, I listen up.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

19. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

BradKlein says Thile thinks long and hard about which pics., strings, instruments, mic, etc to use,and I'm sure he does. But so do all the others that make their living playing yet they don't use the same picks, strings, instruments, mics, ect. Why? Because we are all different so I'll do my own thinking. That's not saying I won't consider what Thile uses but it carries no more weight with me than what my friend Henry uses who you've never heard of but is a good mandolin player. If someone is excited about something I'll try it but I'll decide if I want to use it.

Really folks what difference does it make what pick he uses.
    What difference does any of the crap we talk about make?

If Thile sold his Loars and started playing Northfields, no one would gripe about it being mentioned. However, ask about his (or anybody’s) picks or strings, and the complaints commence.

Why is talk of Thile’s pick so offensive to some?

I hear a train a-comin...

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

It seems that CT is a different animal than BM when it comes to technical things. The gentleman hears and feels things that folks on another level don't. Given CT's willingness to talk about technical aspects of instruments/gear/technique, i would be quite surprised if he didn't sweat details that many of us don't comprehend.

Blog Entries

Just an opinion, recording technology has improved so much that what Chris hears as he plays and what he can hear reproduced is so much better than way back in Bill Monroe's day. Anything that may affect the recording he may want to adjust to get the sound he wants.

I betcha most of us greater than 10 rows out in the audience likely wouldn't be able to notice most of the nuanced stuff that compell's Thile's decisions and we know and appreciate mandolin variations. Your average non mando obsessed person may not even care. They're there for the music and the Thile experience.

I think these threads are fine and sometimes silly and sometimes illuminating. I would never expect to play like him. I can aspire to play some of the tunes he plays so well and be very happy with that.

As for the who cares bit.... there are people that know the stats of sports players over decades. That holds nothing for me and I'm happy to let them enjoy their obsession. We should do that for our fellow mandolin gear obsessed friends here as well.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

26. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to JEStanek For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Jamie - Your points are nicely stated.

i have seen some lightly coloured shell and i agee there's a strong possibility CT's pick isn't the real deal. However, i agree with those who say there's nothing out there quite like shell, and if CT doesn't use it at home he likely will become a convert someday. i wouldn't take such nice picks on the road if there is a replaceable and economical substitute and endorsed said product to boot. Just sayin'....

BradKlein says Thile thinks long and hard about which pics., strings, instruments, mic, etc to use,and I'm sure he does. But so do all the others that make their living playing...
    I'll just mention that it has not been my experience that all professional musicians give equal thought to the tools of the trade. Far from it! There are lots of professional musicians who have come by something that works for them, and stick with it. Or prioritize convenience, economy, efficiency. As someone who loves the physicality of musical instruments, I've often been surprised by pros who know very little about the history, or construction of their own instruments. On the other hand, there are the restless searchers who love to talk shop, and try out others' instruments, visit dealers and shops. CT is one of those.

And the same is true of the recording process. Some pros are very excited by understanding it all, and others place themselves in the hands of a producer and/or engineer and hope for the best.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

From Mark Wilson - " Notice how forward the pick is in his thumb/finger grip.". In the recent Sam Bush clip that was posted on here,SB seems to hold the pick in much the same way - just as i do. I get 95% of my picking power from my fingers,not so much from my wrist. Having played banjo for 50 years seems to have given me a bit of an advantage in this respect - very strong right hand fingers. The further forward that the pick is held,simply gives more ''rotation'' to the it - a bit like a lever. If i want to play louder,i simply dig in more with the pick. Also,if you want to play slower with maybe a bit more accuracy,holding the pick this way helps you 'feel' what you're doing more,you can feel & sense the pick pressure / strike on the strings. Bunch your hand up into a fist & pick like that, & you'll feel the exact opposite of what i mean.

Regarding 'which pick' CT uses - who really cares ?. We understand the immense talent of this guy. If he picked with a fence post he'd most likely be better than the majority of us. Personally - i just wish he'd play some music that i like !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    He really milks the tone with a Casein pick.

Jamie
    And that's no bull!
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

33. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

Thile got me into mandolin. The first time I restrung the one I was playing, I tried EJ75s, because he talked about preferring 11.5 for the E strings. Turned out, I liked it, too. I tried a TF140 pick because he used them, same with a BlueChip. I also preferred them to what I’d been using. Why is it so silly that I should continue to pay attention to his preferences when they’ve steered me in the right directions thus far?
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    What difference does any of the crap we talk about make?

If Thile sold his Loars and started playing Northfields, no one would gripe about it being mentioned. However, ask about his (or anybody’s) picks or strings, and the complaints commence.

Why is talk of Thile’s pick so offensive to some?
    Well, I think you exaggerate, Chris. No, we don't find all this talk about Chris Thile's pick to be "offensive." No one here is offended. We do, however, think that excessive attention to whatever pick Thile happens to be using at the moment, be it Wegen, Bluechip, casein, or whatever, is just a little bit silly. It's been pointed out time and again that great players seem to have the ability to sound great on any number of different instruments, with any number of different picks. That's not to say that they don't favor certain instruments, or certain picks, over others. Certainly, Thile's current favor has changed over the years, as we all know, and as documented here on the MC by fanboys. The thing that some of us find mildly amusing (or ironic) -- but not offensive! -- is how many folks seem to be under the impression that if they buy the same equipment as their mandolin heroes, it will likely make them sound better. Alas, that is seldom the case. Still, many of us yearn to own a better mandolin. So why not a better pick? Hey, it's all good! But please, don't lose your sense of humor.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

Having someone mention a particular product that “works for them” is the whole concept of advertising! Product placement. If it works for “that guy” no matter who or what it is makes the general public think “maybe it will work for me?!”
    I don’t care if it’s toothpaste, male enhancement, or sound reenforcement. We all want to have the advantage the advertiser or artist that we admire has used. I have spent a fair amount of time learning what I am comfortable with, a change or twist now and then is a good thing, you never know what will be an improvement.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

38. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    Well, I think you exaggerate, Chris. No, we don't find all this talk about Chris Thile's pick to be "offensive." No one here is offended. We do, however, think that excessive attention to whatever pick Thile happens to be using at the moment, be it Wegen, Bluechip, casein, or whatever, is just a little bit silly. It's been pointed out time and again that great players seem to have the ability to sound great on any number of different instruments, with any number of different picks. That's not to say that they don't favor certain instruments, or certain picks, over others. Certainly, Thile's current favor has changed over the years, as we all know, and as documented here on the MC by fanboys. The thing that some of us find mildly amusing (or ironic) -- but not offensive! -- is how many folks seem to be under the impression that if they buy the same equipment as their mandolin heroes, it will likely make them sound better. Alas, that is seldom the case. Still, many of us yearn to own a better mandolin. So why not a better pick? Hey, it's all good! But please, don't lose your sense of humor.
    Does anybody really think a pick is gonna make them play like a certain guy? I’ve never seen or heard anybody indicate they believe it would.

But otherwise, fair enough. Just seems like a lot of folks spend a lot of time talking about something they don’t care about.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4