Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light bulb test of top plate

Default Re: Light bulb test of top plate

Thank you Adrian. It came out pretty sweet. The response, sustain and tone are all very good. It is similar to my 2006 Goldrush in power but has to my ears a better singing voice. I really like the 7.25” to 12” compound radius finger board on this 1” Loar profiled Black Walnut neck. The build is all hide glue with a weight is 36.05 oz.
    Thanks Tom but this photo and others that did this had all been edited on my IPad but loose the editing when transferred to the forum. I tried to edit it again with the forum editor but couldn’t make it happen. The back, fingerrest and rims are reclaimed Claro Walnut from Oregon. The top is Carpathian Spruce from John at Old World.
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

2. The following members say thank you to hank for this post:

mando looks killer Hank!
    love the case color as well, that's one of my favorites that is offered in that case.
    d

4. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

hank 

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DD9C21B9-EF0D-427F-A50C-1AEF6BA9A57C.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	180739Thank you Daryl. I had fun making this Vanilla/Chocolate F5. I joked with Walt that these tricks came from Chernobyl recycling.

Name:	A48B34EF-22A0-46C4-9078-E8127F732684.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	482.1 KB 
ID:	180738
    The truss rod cover removal gif wouldn’t load

Name:	0DFFAA4E-CF45-4DEE-8E0E-DA0656E7F456.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	180737
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

Anyway the cover is removed with one of the scrapers magnetically. Fun stuff eliminating the screws.
    CHAO-PIEN

I finally got to meet Hank in the real world last week. I can confirm that that is a very fine mandolin indeed. If I would have thought about it, we could have gotten some video of it while we were together. And that magnetic truss rod cover is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by hank View Post
    Thank you Adrian. It came out pretty sweet. The response, sustain and tone are all very good. It is similar to my 2006 Goldrush in power but has to my ears a better singing voice. I really like the 7.25” to 12” compound radius finger board on this 1” Loar profiled Black Walnut neck. The build is all hide glue with a weight is 36.05 oz.
    Thanks Tom but this photo and others that did this had all been edited on my IPad but loose the editing when transferred to the forum. I tried to edit it again with the forum editor but couldn’t make it happen. The back, fingerrest and rims are reclaimed Claro Walnut from Oregon. The top is Carpathian Spruce from John at Old World.
    Hank, you have built a beautiful mandolin! Was this your first build? Is your build process chronicled in another thread here on the forum? I am interested in learning about all aspects of the build process. What plans did you use (Adrian's?), what tools did you find necessary, did you already have hide glue experience , how did you sand the compound radius?! etc.
    I appreciate any insights or thoughts you might be willing to share.

Greg

Thank you both. Yes Greg this is #1. Three years ago on my birthday I called Chris Baird about cutting parts with my wood for an F5. Chris’s CNC mastery eliminated the rough part making and provided a great fixture to help in the assembly. I had all the shell inlay precut and Chris laminated the headstock with the vase part of it. I have been humbled by almost every aspect of the working skills required to get to this point of completion.
    I’m spending my time enjoying this one without much though about my Smithcreek’s CNC plates and inside build fixtures for a few F4’s and an H4.
    CHAO-PIEN