Thread: cloudy days

Default cloudy days

Now that the Cubs are done I have a bit more mando time. Plus we've had a couple raw, overcast or rainy days, chilly first days of fall. So naturally I played Nuages, that beautiful Django melody, title of which translates to Clouds...

And a funny thing happened. All these years I've been playing the first 8 notes as single notes, not falling into chord-melody until the Eb9 chord. This time that opening phrase came out as chord-melody! Probably a visit from Jethro. I got so excited about discovering something new to add, I thought I would share it with you:

Just two chord grips really. Grab 4-7-5 on the G-D-A strings, yielding the note stack B-A-D. I know what you're thinking, Donnie, that's that 6th chord you always play, D6th? Well yeah but in this case the shape functions as Gmaj9, since Nuages opens from the G chord. Our melody note(on top) is D, A is the 9th, B the 3rd. No root. OK so start there (4-7-5), back up a fret(3-6-4)and come back (4-7-5). I'm pretty sure these are the "and-two-and"notes in the pickup bar..

Now jump up the neck to 10-9-12 which makes a G9(a dominant chord, flat 7 on the bottom, then third, then the melody note on top of course and it's the ninth) F-B-A. Now we're just going to walk that shape back fret by fret until it hits Eb9! Rhythm here is the rest of that measure.."3+4+" The Eb9 is on the downbeat of the opening bar. So the entire opening phrase we might think of as Gmaj9-Gbmaj9-Gmaj9-G9-Gb9-F9-E9-Eb9 or again with the shapes:

4-7-5/3-6-4/4-7-5 10-9-12/9-8-11/8-7-10/7-6-9/ 6-5-8

You hear me always recommending grabbing these voicings with fingers 1-2-3 so as to keep the pinky available for cool pinky-dance stuff above the chords. Just now as I played this to check frets and all I found myself using 2-1-4 on the 9th chords starting up on 10-9-12. I attribute that to advancing age and the fact that it's early morning here as I write this. Habit-wise I think it still better to aspire to 2-1-3 up there on that shape, but if you grab those with 2-1-4 I guess that's ok too. I know Aaron Weinstein would.

Thanks for allowing me to share and Happy Chord Melodizing.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Don Stiernberg For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Blog Entries

Default Re: cloudy days

Yes! I LOVE this.

As an alternate to the D6 as Gmaj9,--another option is to start with a D7--since we're heading to G...that standard D7 voicing works here--(from bottom to top) C,F#,D. It yields a slightly different color.

Or, for a little contrary bass motion for those first three melody notes:

descending bass notes (From bottom to top):

C,F#,D (D7)
    B,F, Db (Db)
    Bb,F#,D (D7#5)

or you can flip the order of the voicings and get ascending bass notes:
    Bb,F#,D (D7#5)
    B,F, Db (Db)
    C,F#,D (D7)
    Last edited by AaronWeinstein; Oct-06-2018 at 10:51am.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AaronWeinstein For This Useful Post:

This is so cool. Good thing I’m on my second cup of coffee as my brain is filling up fast.

Now to see if the fingers cooperate.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Blog Entries

I like fingering the 10-9-12 type of chord with pinky on top much of the time because I can then play the related 9-8-12.

It's handy for this III-VI-II-V circle of dominant chords, pinky on top and the two lower notes just move down by half steps:

5-4-5-x
    4-3-5-x
    3-2-5-x
    2-1-5-x
    (D7, G7, C9, F13)
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Wright For This Useful Post:

Cloudy in NY today too. Such a great song with endless possibilities. I've yet to try it on mandolin....but here's a guitar version I like..which is chock full of ideas:

I wonder if some of the open string bounces in Roland's intro would translate to mando.
    The opening notes are often given the contra punctual treatment.

Love this thread.

There are lots of ways to end the opening descending phrase. Because I'm lazy, I do something like this to finish the descent to the D note in a G6 voicing & add a turn-around:

6-5-8-x 6-5-7-x / 5-5-6-x 3-4-5-x / 4-2-5-x 2-2-3-x 3-2-4-x / 4-2-5-x

Rather than using an Amin 7b5 --> D7+, could also use D7b9 --> D7+ in the 2nd measure: 5-4-6-x 3-4-5-x

A similar idea can be used for the descending line from high D later in the song:

3-2-4-x 4-3-5-x / x-8-7-10 x-7-6-9 x-6-5-8 x-5-4-7 / x-4-3-6 x-4-3-5/ x-3-3-4 (or x-3-2-4) x-1-2-3 / x-2-2-3
    (or if you want the turn around: 9-9-10-x 7-7-8-x 8-7-9-x / 9-9-10-x)

One of my favorites! And it is sunny down here today...
    Last edited by John Soper; Oct-07-2018 at 10:56am. Reason: Had a second cup of coffee

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Soper For This Useful Post:

The Astros are still in it, so I am noodling scales on the couch during the games. I grew up in Houston, and used to see the Colt 45s before they became the Astros.

Sincere thanks to Don and Aaron for the insights. And lots of great music!
    <><><>><<><><>
    Start slow, fade early

If anybody was confused by my post, I had a few more cups of coffee, took the mandolin out and corrected the tab.

13. The following members say thank you to John Soper for this post:

Perry
    Your link does not work for me.