Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mandola Hard Cases

Default Mandola Hard Cases

I recently picked up an archtop mandola with a scroll and cannot seem to find a hard case for it. I read through some old threads on the forums and folks repeatedly recommend cedar creek. I attempted to contact them on the subject to no avail.

My mandola is the eastman 315 so I am not looking to break the bank on a case but do y'all have any suggestions on where I might find one?

Default Re: Mandola Hard Cases

This has been a problem over the years. When I bought mine I made sure it had a case because there really aren't a whole lot of options. Siminoff used to sell one that wasn't real cheap. Does Eastman sell one? Have you contacted The Mandolin Store?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

If you look on the pertinent listing on The Mandolin Store website, you will see that it includes a gig bag and they clearly state that a hard case for it s NOT available.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I purchased it from TMS and Don is correct, they do not carry a hardcase for this mandola. Which is what prompted me to create this post. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Collings makes one for an A style not sure of an F-style but I've heard hard to get and expensive! I'm in the same boat for my 24 Gibson Tenor Lute to Mandola convert.

Cedar Creek will make a case for you. BUT the starting price is quoted at $600
    John D

Just to confirm a couple of things: Neither Eastman or Weber will sell you a case. The best case I was able to find for my mandola was a soft case from Gruv Gear. Their Large Uke Gigblade will fit a mandola.

Pete
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

8. The following members say thank you to Pete Braccio for this post:

Em Tee 

https://www.amazon.com/TMS-Aluminum-...words=gun+case

Someone in another thread suggested the gun case idea.
    They come in a variety of sizes and proportions and the foam can be configured.
    The link is just one I picked at random.

10. The following members say thank you to BoxCarJoe for this post:

Em Tee 

Elderly has a Gibson H4 case. It's not cheap.

Kangaroo Cases in Dallas appears to be a custom case manufacturer that has an instrument case in their gallery. You could send them a quote request. The case that came with my mandola is similar to what they sell.

http://www.kangaroocases.com/
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Oct-06-2018 at 6:37pm.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

12. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Em Tee 

I use a tenor banjo case with some padding around the body.My Girouard mandola fits just fine.
    ma dh'fheumas tu tarraing, dčan sin gu socair

Instruments

Mann 2 Point - 2011
    Girouard Mandola - 2013
    Pava A5 - 2019

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

I find it hard to imagine why Weber nor their case provider is willing to sell a mandola case. Surely Weber doesn't believe that some one will buy a mandola for no other reason than to get a case. Selling mandola cases, given the demand or limited demand, depending upon your perspective, could be a revenue builder. And for the manufacturer of these cases, they could benefit from a sale of a build they are already manufacturing (minus the Weber logo).
    I was fortunate to find a Collings mandola case after posting a WTB ad in the Cafe classifieds for $250.00. This is a case I'm not likely to part with any time soon in light of how hard mandola cases are to come by.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

It would appear that you have a chance of finding something to fit an A style mandola. It might rattle around a bit but you have almost zero chance of finding anything to fit an f style mandola. Seems like a business opportunity for someone. The problem is you won't find a whole lot of F styles without cases but there certainly are some.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I recently spoke to Weber about purchasing a replacement case. I was told yes, they will sell a case, even though they are not listed on the website. They are, understandably, concerned about having enough in stock for their new builds. It helps your “case” if you are a registered Weber owner. But if you are trying to buy a case for an instrument you bought from one of their competitors, I wouldn’t expect much sympathy.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    It would appear that you have a chance of finding something to fit an A style mandola. It might rattle around a bit but you have almost zero chance of finding anything to fit an f style mandola. Seems like a business opportunity for someone. The problem is you won't find a whole lot of F styles without cases but there certainly are some.
    who knows... perhaps the guys at Northfield may someday produce an F-style mandola with a matching case...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Braccio View Post
    Just to confirm a couple of things: Neither Eastman or Weber will sell you a case. The best case I was able to find for my mandola was a soft case from Gruv Gear. Their Large Uke Gigblade will fit a mandola.
    Agreed -- plenty of semi-rigid gig bags can be had if you venture into the ukulele world. I went with Fusion: https://www.fusion-bags.com/collecti...e-bass-ukulele
    Does the job well, but is not a hard case.

19. The following members say thank you to Viola for this post:

Em Tee 

I'd also check our Access gigbags. I don't know about their other levels, but I have a stage 3 ukulele bag for my piccolo mandolin and was surprised how adaptable it is. It came with a movable neck pillow and a movable long narrow pad to go up, over the headstock. This allows you to custom-fit it to the instrument. It holds my piccolo mandolin securely in place and, as a somewhat rigid bag, offers reasonable protection for 'easy' use. Perhaps they have similarly adaptable larger bags you could fit your instrument in.

Let me know if you'd like some photos and I'll get them up.

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

21. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Em Tee 

I'm actually just thinking of making a case from scratch, but I will check out the semi rigid ukulele cases. I have a dog who likes to destroy things and a cat who thinks every thing in the house is a scratching post, so I'm fearful a gig bag might not be enough

23. The following members say thank you to Em Tee for this post:

I keep think about the case thing. We haven't seen many folks over the years try and build a traditional style case. Generally when they do they are finished like nice wooden boxes. The stuff to build cases is readily available. It might be a neat project and in this case would solve a real issue. Let us know how this goes.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

25. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Em Tee 

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Em Tee View Post
    I'm actually just thinking of making a case from scratch, but I will check out the semi rigid ukulele cases. I have a dog who likes to destroy things and a cat who thinks every thing in the house is a scratching post, so I'm fearful a gig bag might not be enough
    Once you have a pattern, set up an assembly line and make 50 of them. I'm reasonably certain you could easily sell 49 of them while making Cafe Members happy.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

27. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

Em Tee 

Check out Pegasus Cases, out of Scotland. Their fiberglass products are pricy - probably WAY more than you've thought of spending! - but would certainly do the trick. I'm considering getting one that would fit each/any of my larger zouk-type instruments if l wanted to take it somewhere by plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitethorn View Post
    Check out Pegasus Cases, out of Scotland. Their fiberglass products are pricy - probably WAY more than you've thought of spending! - but would certainly do the trick. I'm considering getting one that would fit each/any of my larger zouk-type instruments if l wanted to take it somewhere by plane.
    It's an f-style.

They make those.

When talking to Tony Pires about a mandola Tone Gard, he told me that there are no "standard" size mandolas. Each person/manufacture builds them slightly different. Some are constructed using the template of the H4, some are up-sized mandolins, and others are none of the above. Some are 15.5" scales, some are 16", and some are 17". They have the neck join the body at the 12th, 14th, 15th, etc. fret

That may be a reason that there are no mandola cases on the market. It would be a nightmare trying to make sure that "most" mandolas would fit the case.
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

32. The following members say thank you to Pete Braccio for this post:

Em Tee 

When talking to Tony Pires about a mandola Tone Gard, he told me that there are no "standard" size mandolas. Each person/manufacture builds them slightly different. Some are constructed using the template of the H4, some are up-sized mandolins, and others are none of the above. Some are 15.5" scales, some are 16", and some are 17". They have the neck join the body at the 12th, 14th, 15th, etc. fret

That may be a reason that there are no mandola cases on the market. It would be a nightmare trying to make sure that "most" mandolas would fit the case.
    I assumed wrongly that they were all based on the Gibson. That is a real problem.

Sounds like a chance for someone to build a rectangular case with movable pads.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

34. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Em Tee 

Pretty much the same scenario exists with violas. There's no shortage of viola cases, however. They've managed to accommodate differences in instrument sizes and individuality by making adjustable cases. Just produce a large-enough basic rectangular or triangular plywood (or other material) case shell, install a simple movable neck brace that screws into position, and maybe some velcro-attached padded parts in addition. Not anything close to rocket science. I've been rather surprised there's no mandola equivalents. Definitely an entrepreneurial opportunity for someone.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel