Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandola Hard Cases

Default Re: Mandola Hard Cases

I just ordered a mda315 from the mandolin store, with k and k installed. I asked the same question, and they simply replied no case. Being naive, I wondered how the mda815 was shipped and did it have a case. Are they that different in size? I am assuming that since no one here suggested it, that they are different. Either way, I am eagerly awaiting the Mandola, and will look into making a case out of something.
    Its not a backwards guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyfingers View Post
    Are they that different in size?
    Yes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MandolaVsMandolin1.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	172003   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MandolaVsMandolin2.JPG 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	172004   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MandolaVsMandolin3.JPG 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	172005  

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them". These are the words of J. Garber.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyfingers View Post
    I just ordered a mda315 from the mandolin store, with k and k installed. I asked the same question, and they simply replied no case. Being naive, I wondered how the mda815 was shipped and did it have a case. Are they that different in size? I am assuming that since no one here suggested it, that they are different. Either way, I am eagerly awaiting the Mandola, and will look into making a case out of something.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Yes
    That's really weird. My previous MDA815 mandola was 29" long, and the new MDA315 is supposedly 29" long, yet that photo from Mike has the two mandolas with not just different outer dimensions, but even radically different scale lengths.

Which of the two Eastman pages for the two different mandola models is wrong?

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/mda315_new

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/mda815

Or, is that actually a photo of an Eastman mandola next to an Eastman mandolin? Because that's the size difference between that pair normally.
    Playing a no-point 14-fret-to-the-body oval-hole with scroll, a Flatiron 1SH mandola (original owner), a McNally Ukulele Strumstick in CGDA mandola tuning, a McNally 4-string Chromatic Strumstick in GDAE octave mandolin tuning, and rocking my six-course, unison-tuned 12-string Ovation mandophone/extended cittern in CGDAEB Full Fifths Tuning...

That's my Gibson F5G mandolin and my Korean made no name F style Mandola that I suspect was probably based on the Siminoff kit.
    "Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them". These are the words of J. Garber.

Ah. Since Freddyfingers was specifically asking if there is a size difference between the two different Eastman mandolas (MDA815 and MDA315), and not between a mandolin and a mandola, I was surprised to see your picture in answer to that specific question.

Thanks for the clarification!
    Playing a no-point 14-fret-to-the-body oval-hole with scroll, a Flatiron 1SH mandola (original owner), a McNally Ukulele Strumstick in CGDA mandola tuning, a McNally 4-string Chromatic Strumstick in GDAE octave mandolin tuning, and rocking my six-course, unison-tuned 12-string Ovation mandophone/extended cittern in CGDAEB Full Fifths Tuning...

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
    Ah. Since Freddyfingers was specifically asking if there is a size difference between the two different Eastman mandolas (MDA815 and MDA315), and not between a mandolin and a mandola, I was surprised to see your picture in answer to that specific question.

Thanks for the clarification!
    That's what happens when I misunderstand the question. Moving too fast. Sorry.

By the way, anyone considering trying on the Kala U-Bass hard cases it's about 2 inches too narrow. I thought I had an answer to the OP's question. It's close but not close enough. Might fit a narrower A style though. I am now looking at my Telecaster case and wondering how hard it would be to cut one down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandola-UBassCase.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	172018  
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Oct-21-2018 at 4:40pm.

8. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Em Tee