Thread: Healing power of mandolin

Default Healing power of mandolin

I has been just 11 days since I had my carpal tunnel surgery, which required a two inch incision in my palm. Since I removed my bandages a week ago, I have been trying to use my left hand, at first very gingerly. There are movements that cause a good jolt for sure.

I have been practicing my tremolo on open strings every day and I can't tell you how much this has helped my general state of mind, because not only can I see improvement in my tremolo, well, a day without playing is just an incomplete day. I remember back to the dark days after my open heart surgery. Let me tell you it sucks, but one day I got my mandolin out, gingerly held it to the side, and started picking fiddle tunes.

Suddenly I had an activity that was positive. Ten minutes at a time was all I could do, but I started doing it more and more frequently, and started using it to bribe myself into walking to the corner and back. Then it was make it around the block and you can play some. Took my mind off not sleeping well and all the other negative things you can experience.

So I've been watching the new mando build hanging there drying, calculated it had been close to a month, thought I could use my hand to hold the neck while I final sanded and polished out the finish, so I started the process. Over the next three days I found myself absorbed in the process and less and less focused on my hand. I was careful for sure, but less so.

So there I was with a mandolin ready to be strung up. No way was I going to be able to crank tuning keys. Well, if I limited the movement to half a turn, I could. So last night I strung her up. What can you do with a freshly strung up Mando build? Try to play it, of course.

I can play using every finger except the pinky. Stretching puts a tad too much tension on my palm, but I can play a simple tune. I can't but believe this is the best physical therapy I could do, and the mental boost is remarkable. I'm not saying I can do much beyond a basic tune. Actually started with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. But I'm making music again, and the trauma is dissipating, and darn, my fingers don't go numb.

But it's been only 11 days! So I say to you, life has it's bumps and bruises, but play through them.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Healing power of mandolin

Amen! And God bless you on your healing progress. It is so hard to go a day without playing, let alone going days. blessings

4. The following members say thank you to RustyMadd for this post:

All the best with your healing. I have chronic health problems, and am presently recovering from a long bout of pneumonia. I find that playing mandolin carries me through housebound times when I'd otherwise be reading or watching movies -- there are limits to how long I can enjoy these pastimes. Though I couldn't play for a time, I later played as my healing from a broken wrist progressed. Three or four years later, I'm still making myself regularly use that baby finger, which I couldn't even bend at one point. Here's to playing musical instruments.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

I've been very happy to read about your positive progress! As a fellow carpal tunnel surgery (both hands) veteran, I'm aware it's a great leap to have the surgical phase behind you and focus on recuperation. Sending positive vibes your way for a continued successful recovery. Chris
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

You have my sympathies and best wishes. Several of my pro musician friends have had this procedure and are doing fine.

My buddies said that if you don't hurry, don't lift anything too heavy, follow doctors' orders, etc...you'll be fine.

Al the best!

Br1ck - Having had hand surgery myself,i understand 1000% how you feel. I never had any negative feeling about it,i just wondered how long it would be before i got back playing banjo again. As it turned out,it wasn't too long. I think that it tok 3 months in total from the time of my op., when my hand was bandaged,to having the stitches removed & then Physio.,to ''getting back on the hoss'' !

Take it easy & rest your hand if it feels sore (obvious), but we can be over enthusisatic sometimes & overdo it.

Best wishes ,& i hope you get back to playing 'full on' quicker than you think !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Probably the worst of it is the lifting restrictions. I have a baby girl in the family that is beyond the Five pound limit. I had a weekly one on one with her, but I have to be able to pick her up. Grandma wins.

Never mind I got a two hour dose of angry you aren't momma, but I still miss it.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

===========

On a slightly different note - I had two hernia surgeries this year and my mandolin(s) were my constant companions during the recovery periods. In short . . . music has charms to heal body, mind and soul.

Keep at it, and everything will be fine in the end.

That is why I cited my other much more intense surgery. Playing turned me from a get through the day grinder into someone who had something positive to do, and a yardstick with which to measure progress. It was two months before I could play guitar.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

12. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Br1ck,
    I had two vertebrae fused in my neck (C6 and 7) and I was one the lifting limitations like you. Mine lasted three months and even playing the mandolin was painful. It took me six months before I even felt normal and now my lower back is causing me a great deal of pain. So much for the golden years, they are more like tarnished brass.

14. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

Somewhere south of Denver and north of Pueblo

Neck surgery, 5 back surgeries, both shoulders, yoga is unlocking my 7 year traumatized body as well as improving my playability. Being a gospel man, I say “God Bless You” instead of “Namaste”, and it’s all good. I also stopped all meds including NSAIDS except heart meds, no caffeine, no opioids for over two years, no pot, no whiskey night cap, no sugar, and pursue a high probiotic diet. I think my general inflammation levels have reduced, and I’m not hunched over or neck hyperextended for the first time in 7 years. I had been forced to buying all short scale instruments, now I’m back to full scale. Feeling twenty years younger and my playing is improving instead of declining. I am 63.

From the title I thought the healing power was going to be psychological, but this even better

17. The following members say thank you to vojtechkral for this post:

I recall after neurosurgery and in the time leading up to that, when my head/hand coordination was way off, to say the least. Just the realization that the "cooperation" between my brain signal and the movements of my wrists and fingers were finally coming into focus was the first real sign of recovery. I also had all those lifting and movement restrictions and playing the mandolin was one of the few activities I could perform without any concern for causing myself problems. Then a weird thing happened. The brain being a funny thing, I didn't notice, but the wife said my creative instincts seemed somewhat sharper. That was odd. I started to do stuff during fiddle tunes, (Shady Grove was one) that I hadn't done before.
    The story of Melody Gardot's recovery after a car accident is a real musical recovery inspiration.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

19. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I can play using every finger except the pinky. Stretching puts a tad too much tension on my palm, but I can play a simple tune..
    I have an idea for you, but if it doesn't work, don't keep trying. When you deploy your pinky, consciously deploy your ring finger. Think of the pinky as a slave of the ring finger, kept on a short leash, instead of as a free autonomous finger. Send the ring finger out (which in my case ever so slightly adjusts my whole hand) and then there is no stretch for the pinky. I typically put the ring finger one or two frets below where the pinky is to land, and many times its fortuitous because that is where it needs to be for the next few notes.

Just a thought. My pinky has never been very strong, and my hands are on the small side, but as I have gotten into the above habit in my playing, I have been able to get most of the work done.

The other part of the equation, for me, is to keep my thumb across the neck from my first finger when I need to reach up the neck. What a difference that makes. Again adjusting or moving the whole hand and the pinky reach becomes less of an issue.

Just some thoughts, don't push yourself too hard. We musicians are in this for the loooooooooooooong haul.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

21. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by vojtechkral View Post
    From the title I thought the healing power was going to be psychological, but this even better
    It very much is psychological as well as physiological. I'm convinced beyond a doubt psychological a huge factor.

I have a friend who is always telling me, yes but you have a stronger immune system that me, or you heal faster than me. What it is is that I have a more positive outlook. When I told him about my surgery, he said, oh that sucks, you can't play for a while. I said that sucks but I'm going to work on my tremolo until I heal.

Now I have not faced a chronic condition, so it remains to be seen just how cheery I could remain.

And as another friend said, carpel tunnel is no picnic, but it's curable. I've enjoyed all the shared experiences.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Somewhere south of Denver and north of Pueblo

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I have an idea for you, but if it doesn't work, don't keep trying. When you deploy your pinky, consciously deploy your ring finger. Think of the pinky as a slave of the ring finger, kept on a short leash, instead of as a free autonomous finger. Send the ring finger out (which in my case ever so slightly adjusts my whole hand) and then there is no stretch for the pinky. I typically put the ring finger one or two frets below where the pinky is to land, and many times its fortuitous because that is where it needs to be for the next few notes.
    You sound like a track coach for mandolin players, analyzing an injury and offering rehabilitative training. Really impressive, thanks.

Well, even today I used my pinky a bit, but my hand started getting sore so I shut down for a couple of hours. Getting the stitches out tomorrow so will get a medical opinion. It's just day eleven after all.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

26. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Got my stitches out this morning, no fun, and asked about activity. Mostly they are concerned with lifting, but I mimicked the motion of fretting a finger board and there was no recommendation other than to listen to what my body is telling me. My body says to stop after ten minutes or so, but it also says what was hard yesterday is not as hard today.

I even played some chords. Makes all the difference, being able to play ten minutes three or four times a day.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1