Thread: Question about this Miroglio

Default Question about this Miroglio

I picked up an eBay refugee Vincenzo Miroglio & Figli bowlback recently. First off, I understand that Miroglio is not a highly thought-of maker, and I'll probably be looking for a nicer one down the road, but this is what I have for now. I also know that eBay bowlback are a gamble, but I think I did okay with this one. No cracks in the top, no splits between staves in back. The bridge, which I assumed was original, was godawful way too high, but I found someone in Portugal selling replacement Miroglio bridges at just the height I figured I needed, and that arrived today. Last week I removed all the hardware, cleaned and lubed the questionable tuners (probably to be replaced someday, but now they're working), replaced three missing bits of inlay in the pickguard (I used circles cut from red and blue guitar picks, shhhh), and gave it a good cleaning before putting all the hardware back. I fitted the bridge tonight and strung it up, and ended up with an action of 2mm at the twelfth fret on the G strings and just over 1mm on the E side. It's a bit of a mongrel (I mean, it's clear that there wasn't a lot of care taken building this thing, if you look closer than arm's length), but I like the sound.

So, my question is, is there any way to get a rough idea of the age of this mandolin? Even within a decade?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0894.JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	692.4 KB 
ID:	171265 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando4.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	244.9 KB 
ID:	171266

Now I just need to learn to play it. I started two or three weeks ago and can haltingly muddle through "Torna a Surriento" from a Mel Bay book and "Volumbrella" from a John T. La Barbera book, but I'm a bassist, used to a much larger instrument, and these tiny little frets are vexing me!
    --Bob Farace

2. The following members say thank you to Farace for this post:

Default Re: Question about this Miroglio

Congrats. That's a fine instrument. Enjoy learning and playing
    I have one, but not in such good conditions, but it still plays well and has a beautiful sound.
    Here is another thread about Vincenzo Miroglio with some info about the maker
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...jolin-any-info
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hany Hayek For This Useful Post:

Another question I forgot to ask: I know it's not traditional to use a strap with a bowlback, but if one wanted to, where would one tie it at the tail end? Under and around the tailpiece? (Not an awful lot of room under there.)
    --Bob Farace

I wouldn't tie a strap to the tail piece, you risk hurting the instrument. These are rather old and fragile.
    I usually play seated but on youtube you can find some players playing the bowl back standing. It just takes some practice. And the sound you hear close to the sound hole when seated is different from the sound you hear standing (at least to my ears).
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hany Hayek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Farace View Post
    Another question I forgot to ask: I know it's not traditional to use a strap with a bowlback, but if one wanted to, where would one tie it at the tail end? Under and around the tailpiece? (Not an awful lot of room under there.)
    The only time I ever used a strap on any mandolin was when I had to carry it around at Renn fairs.

Bowlback mandolins do not need a strap when p[played either sitting or standing.

9. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Farace 

I had contemplated--should I actually develop some minimal amount of proficiency--that it might be fun in certain specific instances to dress as Pulcinella, and that a strap would be useful, but maybe it's not necessary after all.
    --Bob Farace

Looks very nice. Re the strap, have you consider Hugstraps, which ukulele players use? They attach without need of an end pin, they clip onto the bottom of the soundhole.

12. The following members say thank you to Minorkey for this post:

Farace