Thread: Punch Bros at Red Rocks w/Gillian Welch

Default Punch Bros at Red Rocks w/Gillian Welch

My buddy and I are going to the show tonight, did a little picking at Deer Creek canyon today... had to share a mando pic! Wil post about the show later.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C165F247-173E-4B47-AE3D-D5D8C13E62A2.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	171188
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dang For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Punch Bros at Red Rocks w/Gillian Welch

beautiful pic! And enjoy, guys, they are soooooo good. I went to their show recently at the ryman and was blown away, even after listening to their music for a long time. They are extremely talented individually and play perfectly together. You will enjoy it greatly!

4. The following members say thank you to ImTheMan_do for this post:

dang 

The patina on the top of your mandolin suggests a well loved Teddy Bear.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

6. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

dang 

Just got to play a very nice Pava and a vintage gibson 3-point at the Denver Folklore center; pretty decent mando selection! Oh, the Montana Lutheries new travel mando the Ranger was pretty cool too... The Collngs were perfect and sounded great as expected. The suprise was a turkey creek mando that sounded amazing, but had a sharp V neck I wouldn’t have gotten along with - but that’s just my preference.

Resting up for the show tonight, Red Rocks should be amazing
    Last edited by dang; Sep-17-2018 at 3:52pm.

8. The following members say thank you to dang for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    My buddy and I are going to the show tonight, did a little picking at Deer Creek canyon today... had to share a mando pic! Wil post about the show later.

Name:	C165F247-173E-4B47-AE3D-D5D8C13E62A2.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	171188
    Bighorn?? Nice Weber!!

10. The following members say thank you to Al Trujillo for this post:

dang 

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Dig it.

I love RR. Last time I was there they stopped the show for hail. When the storm was over there was 6" of ice pebbles everywhere.

Even more amazing setting than usual.

Report back on the show....

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

12. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

dang 

I saw David Grisman at Red Rocks around 1998. Mid show he stopped playing, paused for quite a while, scanned all around the canyon and crowd, and then said to everyone," Wow! Thanks so much for coming out tonight and letting us play this wonderful show here in the church of the gods...."

That has to be one of the true great venues of the world. Sitting during a show, looking all around realizing that no matter how much things will be different, 2000 years from now it is highly likely that people will be exactly where you are feeling the same emotions watching a great show.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Wow, the show was amazing! Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlins opened, and it was the first time they played red rocks. A little on the slow side but immaculate musicianship. I was most impressed by Dave’s solo’s and then the harmonies they do together really make them a special duo.

When the Punch Brothers got on stage they really hit it out of the park!
    They are so talented that at times they had the audience silently listening - thousands of people completely immersed in the music! Overall it was a very high energy set, some stuff from the previous several albums, and a lot of stuff from the new album.

Epic stuff, Dave and Gillian came out at the end for 4 songs that they all played together!!

Name:	0A78E54C-FA60-4242-9495-02E2738201D5.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	171195

Not sure how to flip that upright? Lol

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dang For This Useful Post:

Awesome! The punch brother's concert I went to was easily the best concert I've ever been to. It was a similar result. Everyone was entranced. I took a friend to the show that hasn't had much experience with this kind of music. He too was totally captured by the music, not saying a word throughout the show. They are incredibly talented and give the audience a real show.

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    Just got to play a very nice Pava and a vintage gibson 3-point at the Denver Folklore center; pretty decent mando selection! Oh, the Montana Lutheries new travel mando the Ranger was pretty cool too... The Collngs were perfect and sounded great as expected. The suprise was a turkey creek mando that sounded amazing, but had a sharp V neck I wouldn’t have gotten along with - but that’s just my preference.

Resting up for the show tonight, Red Rocks should be amazing
    Just an amazing show, both Gillian and David and the Punch Bros! I can't remember the last show I was at that was so musically engaging. (Coincidentally, I ran into Brad Van Loenen (Turkey Creek mandolins) at the show last night, and was at the Folklore Center this morning. Played that Turkey Creek - beautiful top and a great solid deep woody tone).

In case anyone cares, I found it interesting that Gillian and Dave played into SM57s, and sang into 58s. Would have thought they might use something "fancier" but apparently no need. Sounded great. Couldn't tell exactly what Punch Brothers were using, think they all had attached instrument mics, and used 2 LDCs as stage/vocal mics. Of course they sounded great as well.

Natural Born Tar Heel Perilous Deep's Avatar

Yep, this was a very special show. The Punch Brothers played with a ton of energy, and the bulk of the crowd seemed to be there for them. Lots of raucous cheering after songs, as if congratulating the band for just accomplishing something very challenging (which they had, of course). It somehow summed up the PB experience in my mind.

Gillian and Dave were simply exceptional. The musicianship was stunning, and Dave's playing is a continual source of surprise and delight. I hear there's new music coming from them soon, can't wait.

Name:	thumb_IMG_1120_1024.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	171269
    Last edited by Perilous Deep; Sep-20-2018 at 11:11am.
    "Pick it solid, boys." -Claude Debussy

20. The following members say thank you to Perilous Deep for this post:

dang 

Name:	file-1.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	384.3 KB 
ID:	171274

This picture is from the final tune of the evening. Front of house engineer told me Shure KSM(not sure of number) for vocals, all of them use a grace audio preamps, I think the Alix, But maybe the Felix. Thile had a clip on mic. In the past I've heard an AKG but didn't get that info.

While in Colorado stopped in Arvada and went to Olde Town Pickin Parlor and played a Nugget F5 and a Collings MF5-V. I really enjoyed the Nugget. Beautiful instrument, set up was great, and I get it now. I didn't buy it. It cost more then I was willing to spend. But I get why they are coveted. I bought the Collings. As a relatively new player, under 3 years, I'm figuring what I like sound wise. I prefer the Collings to my Gibson F5. Wish I could keep both but the Gibson will be in the classifieds soon.

I've seen PB and Thile on 8 occasions and I have to say this was the best show I have seen by them. Also I liked Gillian and Dave live more then on album it was more raw and I thought they performed very well.
    Last edited by tomnottom; Sep-20-2018 at 1:45pm.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomnottom For This Useful Post:

Natural Born Tar Heel Perilous Deep's Avatar

They all came out together for the encore, pictured above. The first tune was The Weight, with verses taken by, I think, Gillian, Gabriel, Critter, Paul, and then all on the last verse. Then while they were tuning up for the next number, Dave could be overheard asking everyone "you sure you want to do this?", after which they played a bouncy and fun rendition of "Hot Corn, Cold Corn". And then they finished with an a capella "Go to Sleep You Little Baby" around a single mic.

Oh and in their set, Gil and Dave covered Neil Young's I Believe in You, which they said they had never performed before.
    "Pick it solid, boys." -Claude Debussy

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perilous Deep For This Useful Post: