Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What’s the hardest tune you can play on mandolin? (Or family)

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default What’s the hardest tune you can play on mandolin? (Or family)

Mine is, I think 'Spain' by Chick Corea. I was curious as to what others could play. Now your hardest tune may be someone else’s warmup. Having got Spain, I’m looking fir something else I can sink my teeth into. But I’m also interested in what people think is hard. It took me a month to learn all the sections and integrate them so it’s fairly seamless. Most tunes take me anything from straight away to two days.

All levels and tunes welcome. No judgement and no condescension.

What’s your hardest tune?
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Default Re: What’s the hardest tune you can play on mandolin? (Or family)

Brilliancy, as played by Sam Bush, to get clean and up to speed (and then Chris' harmony?...fuggedaboutit...)

Be Bop and Donna Lee are next - ugh.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

Raffaele Calace ll preludio,op.49,,I have it memorized and play it on a F5,,next Orange Blossom Special played to speed as per the sheet music written by Ervin T. Rouse in 1938,,finally the theme to the jetsons,still working on it...

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

"Hardest" is a rather relative term. Is it the basic tune itself, or what a player does to/with it?

Even the simplest and/or slowest of tunes can become difficult if/when the advanced finesse and articulation elements/techniques are incoprporated: slurring, bending, vibrato, harmonic chiming, across-the strings melodic crosspicking, ornamentation, working the entire neck, volume/tone dymanics, doublestops, split-string, playing a simultaneous harmony line(s), muting, adding in backup chords behind the lead line, etc. etc.

It's been awhile since I've played it on mandolin, and probably can't remember it all (fortunately I've got it written down in a notebook somewhere), but I had a pretty sublime version of "Sleepwalk" worked up.

For tricky guitar-style rhythm backup, the Johnny Winter version of "Rock N Roll Hoochie Koo" is rough, especially if you harmonize the single string licks with what Rick Derringer was playing in tandem.

But if it's just single string melody you are talking about, Paganini's "Modo Perpetuo" is a real bear, and I never did get it past the 50% mark tempo-wise. Real good shifting exercise. The Kreutzer (violin) bowing and doublestop etudes are tough on mandolin too.

NH

(I would like to be able to replicate Etta James' phrasing/intonation/etc of "At Last" on the flute! Or maybe come close to Sandy Denny on some of her stuff. Capturing the vocal nuances of a great vocalist can be just as difficult as playing any high-speed barn-burner, imo)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandocrucian For This Useful Post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I'm with Alan. Brilliancy is at the very top of my hard to play list. I have been thinking about Little Rock Getaway lately as a recent guitar lesson involved that tune. Here's hoping it won't be more difficult on mandolin than it is on guitar. Sheesh. T.D. if you have a fondness for T.V. tunes check out the theme from Mr. Ed. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

8. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I'll continue to struggle on Bach! I have a half-dozen of the two-part Inventions worked up, but they're hard to make clean.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I find the hardest tunes, the hardest musical endeavors I push through, are classical ensemble pieces. In addition to the music being challenging, the importance of my voice in the ensemble makes it necessary that I get it right, and get it right while listening to others doing something else, something usually very different.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

12. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Probably the Bach Partita in E BMV 1006.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

I haven't played much else besides Irish/Scottish and related trad in the last few years, and most of that is not very difficult. A few tunes stand out though.

One that took me a while is "Ian Green of Greentrax," a Gordon Duncan pipe tune with a fiendish syncopated bit in the third section. Had to burn that into muscle memory, so I don't try to think about it. The "Tolka Polka" is another one that took a while to get under my fingers. I'm still working on the double 16th note run in "King George IV strathspey." Haven't quite got that up to speed yet, and may never match what the Cape Breton fiddlers do with that one.

Most of the repertoire isn't very difficult. It's meant to get your feet moving, not too flashy or difficult to play well, compared to other genres like Jazz or Classical. The hardest part is learning enough tunes to play with others, since there are so many!

16. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Hardest for me is probably jazz stuff that I am just not familiar with yet. If I called myself a 7/10 bluegrass picker, I am a 2/10 in jazz lol.

As far as tunes I actually can somewhat play, I think Wild Fiddler's Rag off Alan Bibey's In the Blue Room is one that is always a challenge. Never mind the tempo he recorded it at. The stretches and moving around the neck is a workout and I always feel cramped up by the end of it. A good tune to practice staying relaxed! (in theory)
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

18. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

"Flaky", by Jethro Burns, is physically hard because it is all double stops, often while holding one finger down and changing others. Another, also because of double stops, is my arrangement of "A Mis Colegas". I transcribed it from a South American cd of tiple music.

20. The following members say thank you to David L for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mandocrucian View Post
    "Hardest" is a rather relative term. Is it the basic tune itself, or what a player does to/with it?

Even the simplest and/or slowest of tunes can become difficult if/when the advanced finesse and articulation elements/techniques are incoprporated: slurring, bending, vibrato, harmonic chiming, across-the strings melodic crosspicking, ornamentation, working the entire neck, volume/tone dymanics, doublestops, split-string, playing a simultaneous harmony line(s), muting, adding in backup chords behind the lead line, etc. etc.

It's been awhile since I've played it on mandolin, and probably can't remember it all (fortunately I've got it written down in a notebook somewhere), but I had a pretty sublime version of "Sleepwalk" worked up.

For tricky guitar-style rhythm backup, the Johnny Winter version of "Rock N Roll Hoochie Koo" is rough, especially if you harmonize the single string licks with what Rick Derringer was playing in tandem.

But if it's just single string melody you are talking about, Paganini's "Modo Perpetuo" is a real bear, and I never did get it past the 50% mark tempo-wise. Real good shifting exercise. The Kreutzer (violin) bowing and doublestop etudes are tough on mandolin too.

NH

(I would like to be able to replicate Etta James' phrasing/intonation/etc of "At Last" on the flute! Or maybe come close to Sandy Denny on some of her stuff. Capturing the vocal nuances of a great vocalist can be just as difficult as playing any high-speed barn-burner, imo)
    That was part of my question. For some players, something like 'twinkle twinkle little star' might be hard, because they’ve just started or because they arrange it in some way that has a high degree of technical finesse. Someone may have had an accident your a medical condition is what is quite easy for you or I might be a technical achievement for them.

There are some great answers here. Keep them coming.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Haven't been playing long enough to really be able to play difficult pieces. Probably the toughest I try is Sakkijarvan Polka. In Cm. Can get through it in Am. But the switch over to Cm is harder than I expected. And am nowhere near actual Finnish polka speed. Thankfully the accordion player I play it with from time to time can slow it down for me. Although that makes it more difficult for her.

But on most pieces, am still not satisfied with my phrasing, picking and finger pressure. So many things need to be worked on at different levels.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

23. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

In all seriousness, it’s all hard for me.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

In 2011 I learned the mandolin accompaniment to the one aria in Mozart’s opera Don Giovanni that features mandolin. I had to memorize it because I was on stage in the character of a street musician who is paid by Don G to help him woo a maid with song. I did two shows with an opera company in Albany. Most of the company were in their 20’s with powerful voices and strong acting skills to boot.
    I think the most challenging part of the music was learning the fingerings. The mandolin part is lovely, as busy as the vocal line is calm. What most struck me about it apart from the beauty and creativity of the music was that it moved through the circle of fifths just like so much popular music. The whole experience was very worthwhile for a bluegrass musician with no prior classical music experience.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andy B For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

There is a way I hope it is always difficult. I mean, I don't really ever want to sit back and say its good enough. I don't rule out having a metric tonne of fun. I mean that I want always to be struggling to make it better.

Because there always is better. In the classical world i am holding on with my teeth, in the fiddle tune repertory not so much. There I am trying to make my playing more musical. Which is also a real challenge.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Fairly recently I asked this same question … "that seems hard to play, is it?" (can't remember the player or the tune at the moment) but his answer was very motivating ..… "no, it's not hard to play at all, but it was pretty hard to learn".
    2014 Gibson 'Harvey' F5G
    1917 Gibson F2
    2013 'The' Loar LM600VS
    2013 Morgan Monroe 4FJ
    Blue Chip Picks
    The Scallywag Social Club

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KGreene For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KGreene View Post
    Fairly recently I asked this same question … "that seems hard to play, is it?" (can't remember the player or the tune at the moment) but his answer was very motivating ..… "no, it's not hard to play at all, but it was pretty hard to learn".
    I was searching for an answer...your quote helped me answer.
    Tim O.- The High Road
    And Bryan Sutton- Whipper Snapper.
    Both were hard to learn, but are loads of fun to play.

Also, anything in Bflat, not fun for me.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

33. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    Also, anything in Bflat, not fun for me.
    I suppose that includes Gm then? I love to play in Gm, just not any good at it yet.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

35. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Still struggle with Blackberry Blossom.

Agreed... Bflat sucks on mandolin.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

37. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

The 2 mandolin instrumentals that i simply 'had to learn' were '' Eighth of February'' by John Reischman, & the mandolin 'classic' by Herschel Sizemore ''Rebecca''. I'd learned to play Rebecca on banjo after hearing Jim Mills play it. It's such a terrific melody that when i came to mandolin it was at the top of my ''have to play it'' list.

I can't however say if they were 'hard' tunes to play,but simply a tad tricky to learn by ear. I broke them down into seactions,learned each one, then strung them together.

'Brilliancy'' - I've heard 'of it',but never actually heard it.I must look it up,although these days,i concentrate more on playing back up & trying to come up with decent solos to songs. I wasted far too much time learning banjo instrumentals & then never playing them anywhere,forgetting them & then going on the the next one ad nauseum,to start to do the same on mandolin - but the odd 'challenge' might make life interesting,
    Ivan

Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

The song I'm trying to learn now.

41. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frankdolin For This Useful Post:

Tom Bekeny’s solo on Panhandle Rag, from the Kathy Kallick album. The rhythm, phrasing and fingering are plenty challenging. We don’t have to talk about speed.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I'd say the hardest tunes I know are the Choro piece Desvairada, Bach's Dm Gigue, and another Choro called O Voo da Mosca (The Flight of the Fly). I also spent a bunch of time learning the lead and harmony parts for Brilliancy and those are pretty tough too especially when pushing up the tempo.

I agree with what many people have said here which is that you can make any tune hard. Just listen to Mark O'Connor play Boil Them Cabbage Down.

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Slovin For This Useful Post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Thanks I had forgotten about this Reischman tune. He always gets my foot tapping. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

46. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post: