2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Default Re: New instrumental album from Andrew Marlin

The new album is really good!
    2003 John Sullivan F5 "Roy"
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

Default Andrew Marlin's awesome new instrumental album

This album doesn't seem to fit in one category in the “Music by Genre” section, there's a few genres and/or blends in it, so put it here.

Just released yesterday, CD available at his website, Amazon only has mp3's so far.
    Musicians with him, from https://www.andrewmarlin.com : Eli West (guitar, banjo), Christian Sedelmyer (fiddle), and Clint Mullican (bass). Great line-up.

Awesome album! Didn’t see this coming from the humble mando player who doesn’t show off his chops in Mandolin Orange. I’ve seen him play some hot bluegrass on YouTube but never expected an album like this. Excellent songwriting and playing by him and the others with him.

NOTE from site administrator: the YouTube clips linked to appear to be unauthorized bootlegs. We can't be sure but they do not appear to be related to the artist who has not even posted those on his site. In concern for the Andrew as well as other artists we are removing those links and ask you do not repost them here until it is 100% confirmed they are NOT bootleg.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Sep-16-2018 at 6:42pm.
    2017 Collings MT
    2014 Martin 000-18

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim1954 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Andrew Marlin's awesome new instrumental album

It is a killer project. I was talking to Eli about it this morning. I know he and Andrew had played a Seattle gig this past summer. I was bowled over by it. It's going to be in constant rotation for sure. Available on iTunes too

Downloaded album earlier, looking forward to listening to this later tonight. I've been thinking it's about time for something new from Mandolin Orange. This will do nicely. I've found myself enjoying kind of laid back mandolin lately after listening to Nate Lee's "Plays Well With Others" a year or so ago.

Thanks for the samples.

Between Andrew Marlin and Joe Walsh, mandolin music just keeps getting better and better.
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gspiess For This Useful Post:

EvanElkJRG 

Quote Originally Posted by doc holiday View Post
    It is a killer project. I was talking to Eli about it this morning. I know he and Andrew had played a Seattle gig this past summer. I was bowled over by it. It's going to be in constant rotation for sure. Available on iTunes too
    Wow, so you were actually able to talk with Eli about it just yesterday, cool. I love the albums with him and Cahalan Morrison. And he did a concert with Andrew? Great, would of loved to been at that one.
    2017 Collings MT
    2014 Martin 000-18

I've taken a bunch of guitar lessons from Eli, & when I was in Seattle last month we were geeking out about Pre*War guitars....& how Andrew had introduced him to Ben & Wes. When I heard a clip from Andrew's project I got in touch with Eli to ask which cuts he had played on.....& the answer was 'all of them.'
    Last edited by doc holiday; Sep-16-2018 at 10:48am.

Default Re: New instrumental album from Andrew Marlin

Damn. Sorry. I somehow missed this thread before starting mine with same subject. I guess I was rushing a bit too much to finish mine up as I had other things going on so I too quickly looked over this section and "Music by Genre" first and somehow missed this. If the moderators feel it's best to maybe merge them as I've seen them do on the Martin guitar forum, or even delete mine, that's fine with me.
    2017 Collings MT
    2014 Martin 000-18

Wow, great guitar teacher, lucky you! Never heard of Pre-War Guitars company, found their website, love that second Grisman - Emmanual video. I see Andrew bought a 000, maybe I heard it on albums and didn't know it, I've only seen him play the dreadnaught he helped build. With the right mic setup, strings, pick and technique, a 000 can sound like a dread on a studio recording. Even Tim O'Brien's vintage Martin 00-18 does on Buffalo Skinners, then I read about it and wrote to him.
    2017 Collings MT
    2014 Martin 000-18

I saw that show with Andrew and Eli at the Ballard Homestead in Seattle - it was pretty incredible. I got to go backstage (actually the kitchen in the basement of Homestead!) and hang out for a while. I had my Sullivan F5 with me which Andrew and Eli both played it and I got to play "Ella", Andrew's Sullivan A5. They mentioned that they were on their way to Nashville to record an album and I didn't expect it come out so soon. I've played it through a few times - it's phenomenal. I agree with Jim about the versatility of 000's - especially after seeing Grant Gordy play his this summer with Joe K Walsh and Danny Barnes. Grant could get great tone out of a canoe paddle though.
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

Very cool Evan. I know that 000-18 of Grant's is a monster & incredibly dry & cutting. I took a lesson from him at Wintergrass a couple of years ago, so I got to hear it real up close & it is a great one. Robert Bowlin told me once that he played a 000 onstage with the Osborne Brothers.

Wow Doc, how great that you've gotten to do some lessons with those guys. They are making some amazing music right now and are very down to earth people.
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

My apologies for accidentally creating this thread when there was one about this already. As I said in the other one (with an apology also) "I guess I was rushing a bit too much to finish mine up as I had other things going on so I too quickly looked over this section and "Music by Genre" first and somehow missed this. If the moderators feel it's best to maybe merge them as I've seen them do on the Martin guitar forum, or even delete mine, that's fine with me." Merging would be my preference but whatever's best for all is fine with me.
    2017 Collings MT
    2014 Martin 000-18

Um, Friends, and original poster Jim1954 in particular, have you considered that you're posting a link to this full album from a source which appears to me to not be affiliated with the artist? If so, Do you feel that your posting would disincentivize, to ANY degree, anyone encountering it from buying the album? If the link is not "sanctioned" by Andrew (and I'm open to any new information relevant to this topic), I think it's unethical to post this here, at any time, but particularly so right after it's release. Again, I welcome any context I'm missing here, or other viewpoints...

Blog Entries

I saw those YouTube clips earlier and sent Andrew a note from his web site but have not heard back. Got busy with some other things and am just now getting around to re-evaluating them and I do think they are bootlegs. To be on right side of things I've removed the links/embed commands from that post. I've also merged the two threads discussing the album.

Quote Originally Posted by paul dirac View Post
    Um, Friends, and original poster Jim1954 in particular, have you considered that you're posting a link to this full album from a source which appears to me to not be affiliated with the artist? If so, Do you feel that your posting would disincentivize, to ANY degree, anyone encountering it from buying the album? If the link is not "sanctioned" by Andrew (and I'm open to any new information relevant to this topic), I think it's unethical to post this here, at any time, but particularly so right after it's release. Again, I welcome any context I'm missing here, or other viewpoints...
    I looked into this before I posted as this is important to me too. Below the YouTube videos, it says:
    "Provided to YouTube by Redeye Distribution

Buried In a Cape · Andrew Marlin

Buried In a Cape

℗ 2018 Andrew Marlin

Released on: 2018-09-14

Composer: Andrew Marlin
    Music Publisher: Party Fowl"

Then I found website for Redeye http://music.us/redeye-distribution/ and it says this on home page:

"Redeye Distribution is an independent music distribution company founded in 1996 in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. In addition, Redeye has two in-house labels: Yep Roc Records and Eleven Thirty Records."

Andrew and Emily live in Chapel Hill and their last three Mandolin Orange albums are on Yep Roc Records. So, from all this info, it appeared to me that it is what Andrew wanted but I will write to them also just to make sure.
    2017 Collings MT
    2014 Martin 000-18

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    I saw those YouTube clips earlier and sent Andrew a note from his web site but have not heard back. Got busy with some other things and am just now getting around to re-evaluating them and I do think they are bootlegs. To be on right side of things I've removed the links/embed commands from that post. I've also merged the two threads discussing the album.
    I can respect the decision to remove links until confirmed from Andrew, better to be on safe side. It's possible I assumed too much and someone just made it look legit but it isn't. I didn't know people did that on YouTube.
    2017 Collings MT
    2014 Martin 000-18

This isn't uncommon for small distribution services. My wife's CD made available through CDBaby was loaded similarly to YouTube for streaming. For us, it was just another channel, and if it spurred a few more sales, we were ok with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim1954 View Post
    I looked into this before I posted as this is important to me too. Below the YouTube videos, it says:
    "Provided to YouTube by Redeye Distribution

Buried In a Cape · Andrew Marlin

Buried In a Cape

℗ 2018 Andrew Marlin

Released on: 2018-09-14

Composer: Andrew Marlin
    Music Publisher: Party Fowl"

Then I found website for Redeye http://music.us/redeye-distribution/ and it says this on home page:

"Redeye Distribution is an independent music distribution company founded in 1996 in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. In addition, Redeye has two in-house labels: Yep Roc Records and Eleven Thirty Records."

Andrew and Emily live in Chapel Hill and their last three Mandolin Orange albums are on Yep Roc Records. So, from all this info, it appeared to me that it is what Andrew wanted but I will write to them also just to make sure.
    Ah, it appears I missed that attribution when I clicked through. Good on 'ya, Jim, for making the effort. I'll wait for Scott to hear back from Andrew, but I'd be very surprised if this were a legitimate release. If it is, there's something fundamental I'm not getting about this present state of the music business. Happy for any light anyone can shed...

As I mentioned in post #5 ...already available on iTunes....for cash

FYI - the link in the original post of this thread (post #1 above) is the same as the one in Andrew's Instagram announcement of the new album. There are samples of the songs and links to the authorized purchase sites.

Just go buy it...

I'm on my fourth listen and have enjoyed it more with every listen! The second track (Wooden Spoon Over By The Sink) is my current favorite.

1924 Gibson A Jr. Snakehead
    2004 Elkhorn A-5, #3
    2016 White F-5, #6

EDIT: Very soon after I posted this I got a very kind reply from Emily and she said:

"These YouTube videos are sanctioned, so they are fine to use, although we do prefer that folks buy the album and/or stream through sources that are intended solely for music streaming (Spotify, Apple Music, etc) as opposed to listening exclusively on YouTube.

Thanks again for posting about the album, Andrew spends a ton of time on mandolincafe and was thrilled to see that ."

Her smiley face was turned into an emoticon when posted here.

So glad to get this news. I'm sure the moderator will get same info and post it here soon.

I removed a lot of unnecessary info below from the long post I had written since they are moot points now.

End of edit.

My simple thread has turned out very strange, and I feel a need to explain things.

I said in the beginning of my first post, “CD available at his website below, Amazon only has mp3 version so far.” (I just meant no CDs on Amazon yet). I always prefer CDs instead of mp3, bought it from his website and awaiting arrival. It was never my intention at all to encourage people to just use YouTube instead of buying the CD or mp3’s. I just thought it was a legit upload, as Mandolin Orange does there, so thought people would enjoy. I was initially just going to post sampler link “spud3” did, I saw it on Twitter, but stumbled onto the videos when doing a search there, a long story.
    Last edited by Jim1954; Sep-17-2018 at 10:45pm.
    2017 Collings MT
    2014 Martin 000-18