Thread: Stanley V5 Mandolin

Default Stanley V5 Mandolin

Anybody played the 2006 Chris Stanley V5 mandolin at Elderly Instruments? You don't see them for sale much these days. I played one once, loved it! Any other Stanley owners out there?
    John A. Karsemeyer

Default Re: Stanley V5 Mandolin

Not an owner but my picking buddy had one years ago from I believe 1995 before he bought a Master Model. I really liked that mandolin. Very good traditional tone is my memory of that mandolin.
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goose 2 For This Useful Post:

There's this 2012 #62 A5s here that has seen various other above average mandolins come and go, but the Stanley remains. Like an earlier Stanley A5, this one took some 2-3 years to break in and keeps getting even better every month. It does Bach/Beethoven well and everything in between, but oozes Monroe. Kind of like how a lightweight ash body/maple neck Tele gets one into that chicken pickin' groove.

Chris built it to my spec's and i can't even imagine every parting with it. Should you be interested, it's featured on his Facebook page and there is a Cafe thread about it. It's the plain one with the purty Stanley script on the peghead.

5. The following members say thank you to dan in va for this post:

I see that Elderly Instruments is bringing this 2006 Stanley down to IBMA. Think I'll check it out!
    John A. Karsemeyer

I played a Stanley that Ron Spears was showing when he was with Special Consensus a few years ago, it was a great instrument! The only one I’ve played and that was only for a few minutes but, I liked it a lot!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I've got a 2006 Stanley....Great tone, and even across the entire fret board.

Chris built me an F5. Simply a great instrument. I moved to some other instruments, due to my style, but wish I had kept it. It had that Loar type tone. I would buy it back in a heart beat.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Been years since logging into MandoCafe and went searching for Stanley Mando's...
    I had Chris build me an A-5 (3K$) numbered in the mid 60's delivered in 2012. Great tone v-neck flat neck.
    Had a used F style early numbers used but $5500 in 2012 too much to tie up for a gig mando.
    Going to start listing a couple of other mando's for sale or exchange for a good F style with pickup mando.....
    Considering John Mailanders' Collings

That 2006 Stanley F5 (V5) is still at Elderly Instruments, surprised nobody has snapped it up....
    John A. Karsemeyer

Mandolins seem to be moving slowly right now. Also that says it has a 1 7/32" nut. I would think almost a 1 1/4" nut would limit the potential buyers significantly.

Depends on the size of your hands. Personally I like a little wider than 1 1/8" at the nut; easier to get chords and pick individual notes on the strings. It's all good!
    John A. Karsemeyer

The neck in the pic looks closer to 1/8" to my eye. Unless it was a custom build, his usual nut width was between 1/8" and 1/16". Maybe there was a typo in the description...an email to Elderly would answer the question.

Quote Originally Posted by dan in va View Post
    The neck in the pic looks closer to 1/8" to my eye. Unless it was a custom build, his usual nut width was between 1/8" and 1/16". Maybe there was a typo in the description...an email to Elderly would answer the question.
    You have a good eye, Dan. I just bought # 29 from MC classifieds, from the person who bought it from Elderly. it arrived yesterday. It's nut is 1 1/8.

I have #4 Stanley F5 that I bought from Charles Johnson at mandolin world headquarters last year while in Florida. Amazing mandolin. i just had a great luthier up here in the eastern Canada woods re fret it with large frets, he also planed the fretboard as there was a hump in the fret board, and adjusted truss rod. Made a new bone nut and reset the bridge. Some friends of mine who are great players have played it and the tone is so deep, woody and clear. Its hard to describe but from reading the comments about Stanley Mandolins, seems they compare them to early loars. This mandolin is a keeper and a beast of an instrument.