Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What pick for a teens Gibson?

Default Re: What pick for a teens Gibson?

When I first started playing my first Mandolin, Harmony, fifty dollar model, ( bought from a tympanist who was the top brass /woodwind repair guy in this part of the state no idea about fretted instruments, but, a very cool guy!) he suggested “Washburn Blues”! I never liked them, too thin and, well, just too thin. I started using Fender heavys! I knew nothing about set up either!
    Then, I started working at the music store where acoustic instruments ruled the roost. At that point I graduated high school, and to a carved top Mandolin, I made some picks out of 1/8” plexiglass which made me understand the value of more stiffness for my desired feel and sound. The guy that owned was a very widely versed musician who subscribed to the Bill Bolick school of Mandolin style playing. That was born of the use of a now “unmentionable material” but, was closely mimicked by the afore mentioned “Wabash Blue”! Those were offered by the good folks from”C. Bruno & Co.” which still cracks me up.
    But, as for a pick for a given age instrument!? I don’t see that correlation. Pick to genre, I get a lot more but, I suppose for a 1925 A-3 (Kelvinator White refrigerator finish)...
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    When I first started playing my first Mandolin...
    When I first started, I used a pick made from Mastodon teeth.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    I actually used a slightly heavier pick when I had my '27 A-jr - it seemed to sound best with a 1.0mm pick so I used a 1.0mm Weber celluloid pick that I had laying around, or a Blue Chip TPR40. When I got my MTO I went back to using a Blue Chip TPR35 (.88mm).
    I also recommend the BC TPR35 ! Great pick that I use mainly with my Girouard oval !

I've settled on one of my Wegen Dippers, a 1.2 that is my go to guitar pick. The 1.4 and 1.6 picks are usually on my mandolins. I could very well see a thinner BC working too. I have a TAD 60 now. It's a bit heavy for the A 1.

Next up is some Primetones next shop visit.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by slimt View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	282.0 KB 
ID:	172202

What a lovely patina on both pick and instrument.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Use the one you feel most comfortable with.
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

There have been a few posters here who have made picks from some less frequently used materials.

I still have a few picks made from deer antlers (too soft) and from recycled ivory piano keys (totally stiff, but nicely slick).

I'd think an ivory pick would go nicely with a Kelvinator-white A3, at least visually.

That said, I generally go with the pick that sounds best for the instrument I'm playing. Of course it varies player by player.

Hi guys - first time posting in this forum. For my teens Gibson, I prefer a Heavy pick and D'Addario light (J62) strings. I use a Blue Chip CT55 (a larger triangle with pretty sharp points - 1.4mm I think). It was expensive ($35 plus shipping and tax) but it works well. There is still a little click sound when hitting the strings though. I have used tried a lot of different picks - settled in on a heavy Fender large triangle, but now I like the BC better. I have a 1917 Gibson A - thus the light gauge strings - it's a beauty - looks and sound! I enjoy fiddle tunes - when I can remember the notes! - and bluegrass. - Dan