Thread: Looking for tab for "Canada Day Swing"

Default Looking for tab for "Canada Day Swing"

Have done a lot of searching. Can't find much. Anyone got a tab?

Default Re: Looking for tab for "Canada Day Swing"

Have you tried lowering the playback speed of the YouTube video? This makes it much easier to learn by ear.

Hi, Claude.

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but if you'll consider learning by eye and ear, Patti Kusturok, one of the tune's composers, offers a free fiddle lesson online. The fingering, which is identical to mandolin playing, is shown clearly. However, it does require trial and error as there are no frets on the fiddle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-LFIBUDiY8

You could approach the other composer, Gordon Stobbe, by email, as he's a mandolin player (who has written an instructional book) as well as a fiddler, and ask him if he's written out the tablature. Click "Contact" at the bottom of the webpage below. Patti and Gord are good people.

http://www.fiddlebooks.com/books.html

Good luck,
    Ranald
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

4. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Here's the sheet music, which you could find instructions for converting to TAB. https://www.fiddlevideo.com/wp-conte...ay%20Swing.pdf

6. The following members say thank you to piano for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post

Quote Originally Posted by piano View Post
    Here's the sheet music, which you could find instructions for converting to TAB. https://www.fiddlevideo.com/wp-conte...ay%20Swing.pdf
    I couldn't figure out how to read the coda/repeats in the official sheet music above, so I went to the video that Ranald posted and used the nice fiddle playing there as a guide for what gets played when and how many times. Here's what I ended up with. I'm not an expert at this so don't expect too much, and hopefully I didn't make too many typos. Two different formats:

1. Printable 3-page PDF of Canada Day Swing mandolin tab (the fiddle notes in mandolin tab form) and my try at making a simple very basic guitar chord tab - and no the file is not black, MandolinCafe pdf thumbnails often look reversed but it's a normal PDF file:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canada-day-swing-mandolin.pdf 
Views:	115 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	176068

2. Same mandolin tab and guitar tab as above but in Tef format for playback in TablEdit or TefView:

canada-day-swing-mandolin.tef

I suppose jazz players wouldn't want the easy-to-play mostly-open chord fingerings that I put in the guitar tab, but I chose the simplest form of each chord. Presumably advanced guitar players would be able to add their own harder-to-play barre chords etc, if they wished to.

Also, in what shows up as measure #27 in my tab, I put an *optional* D9 chord in parentheses that does *not* appear in the original composer's sheet music. The original has the D9 chord start in the next measure instead.