Thread: More mandocello etudes (Bickford & Boden)

Default More mandocello etudes (Bickford & Boden)

I'm taking this out of the "Mandocello History" thread, as it doesn't really fit there.

We were discussing the Bickford Mandocello Method (1913) and other mandocello etudes. I have already posted my recording of Bickford's Duet in G for mandocello and mandola (Link). Here are two more mandocello etudes discussed in the other thread:

Andrew D Boden (2015): "Mandocello Study In C Major - For John Maw"

This is an etude for solo mandocello, with optional mandolin or guitar part, written by Andy Boden and originally posted to Mandolin Cafe and Andy's Website. It's also available from IMSLP:

http://www.andyboden.com/music.html
    https://imslp.org/wiki/Mandocello_St..._Andrew_David)

I have included the optional mandolin melody, which comes in on the repeats of the A and B sections.

Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin

Zarh Myron Bickford: Technical Study No. 9 -- "Cantabile"
    Published by The Gibson Mandolin-Guitar Co (1913)

This etude is from Bickford's mandocello method, which predated his much better-known mandolin method by several years. Most of the book consist of technical exercises and descriptive text, but there are a number of very nice etudes, including a set of ten mandocello duets attributed to "Kummer" (presumably Friedrich August Kummer, 1797 – 1879). I do not know which Kummer etudes these are, or whether Bickford added the second mandocello part himself. This is the ninth duet, marked "Cantabile". The original Bickford score (in "universal notation") and my transcriptions into bass clef and octave treble clefs are here: Link

Suzuki MC-815 mandocello (x2)

Martin

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post: