Thread: Kala Tenor Guitar Strings

Default Kala Tenor Guitar Strings

Have ordered a K&K twin spot for the Kala Tenor Guitar so will be restringing it at the same time. Currently has J66 80/20 bronze strings. Gauges seem ok. Has anyone played around with different string materials while staying in CGDA? If so, to what effect?

I don't mind ordering single strings if need be.

I did do a search in the archives but most folks there were concerned with different tunings....

Thanks
    Tony

Default Re: Kala Tenor Guitar Strings

Have you tried the Tenor Guitar Foundation? ...hmmm or is it the Tenor Guitar Registry?

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Hi Ajh, I can try to help you with any string questions but I an not quite sure what you are asking?
    When you say different materials, do you you want to now about nylon strings or something else?

Hi fox!

Right now it has the 80/20 Bronze set that Kala recommends for it. I am wondering if anybody has tried silk and steel, chromes, phosphor bronze, etc in about the same gauges.

Thanks
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
    Have you tried the Tenor Guitar Foundation? ...hmmm or is it the Tenor Guitar Registry?
    Andy, I had tried wandering the Tenor Guitar Foundation but couldn't find any kind of forum to ask the question of that community. Will go back and try again....maybe I missed something.

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Ah yes silk and steel, I have been trying to find out more about these strings.
    I have come across a few folk on a Facebook page that are useing them but I can’t find much technical detail .. I would really need a string tension chart?
    The Martin silk and steel 6 string set seems to be the set people are useing but I can’t see how that would work for 5ths tuning?
    As far as I know the wound strings are around 10% less tension than wound steel but that is just hear say and I have not been able to find any manufacturers figures.
    So on that basis I would guess for a 21” scale tenor in GDAE a standard plain steel 13 then a .22 .32 .48 silk and steel would work but I don’t even know if you an buy singles?

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    Ah yes silk and steel, I have been trying to find out more about these strings.
    I have come across a few folk on a Facebook page that are useing them but I can’t find much technical detail .. I would really need a string tension chart?
    The Martin silk and steel 6 string set seems to be the set people are useing but I can’t see how that would work for 5ths tuning?
    As far as I know the wound strings are around 10% less tension than wound steel but that is just hear say and I have not been able to find any manufacturers figures.
    So on that basis I would guess for a 21” scale tenor in GDAE a standard plain steel 13 then a .22 .32 .48 silk and steel would work but I don’t even know if you an buy singles?
    Thanks fox, appreciate the info.
    I'm staying with the CGDA tuning on the Kala Tenor Guitar (is 21.5" scale). I was casting about for any info from any others who had been down the "alternative" strings route on this particular instrument.