Thread: Nickel bronze strings

Default Nickel bronze strings

On a whim I recently tried a set of d’addario nickel bronze strings. Hated them at first, they sounded harsh and metallic. But now they have settled in and the tone is great. Especially on the chop, which for the first time is sounding close to what it’s supposed to. Anyone else try these?

Default Re: Nickel bronze strings

I really enjoy them. To my ears, they have a stronger fundamental and fewer overtones than phosphor bronze
    Owner of emlpicks.com

3. The following members say thank you to EricLopez for this post:

I used them when they first came out and like them on guitar and mandolin. Before that was was using Monel which is another nickel alloy but I find the NB's just a little warmer and more pleasing.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

My go to strings up until my mando came back from Skip with some Maritn Monels on it. I like those a lot too, but will probably put the NB set back on again for a good AB comparison. Also plan to try the D'addario monels soon as well.

The huge plus for me is that my skin chemistry is horrible with Phosphor Bronze and I don't get all this gunky buildup stuff on the NB or monels that I do with those.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

7. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

I’ve shared this story before, but Adam Steffey told me he uses the Nickel Bronze (11.5-40). Said he can kill any strings, including coated, in a single show, but the NBs last significantly longer.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Both Monel and Nickel -bronze are on my list of things to investigate when I run out of strings ….. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

10. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    Both Monel and Nickel -bronze are on my list of things to investigate when I run out of strings ….. R/
    Try the Pure Nickel from GHS also, great strings on my mandolin.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

12. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Like EricLopez said,Ithink the NB from D'addario have a stronger fundamental tone/less overtones than PB. I like them on my
    Gibson F5.
    Just ordered soem D'addario Monels to try out. Will try them on F5,snakehead,and F4.

To think I used to be satisfied with plain old phosphor bronze! I'd still be fine if that's all I could get;but,
    it's kinda like new electronic tuners(picks/mandolins etc.);gotta try the new/improved models in the quest for "better".

Yeah,if I could just get a Heiden AND a Sorensen to compare...and them keep them both!
    THEN I'd be satisfied.

Right.

"I cain't BE satisfied!" (Muddy Waters)

14. The following members say thank you to V70416 for this post:

I have been wanting to go back to the old strings just to remember more clearly where it started. I am planning to support Martin first with their Monels since they were the ones that started this retro string thing for Tony Rice. Then I thought I would try GHS pure nickels next, then finish with the grossly overpriced D'Addario NBronze. I just hope the first two are better for my situation. I've used D'Addario string forever seemingly, but twice the price?

16. The following members say thank you to RustyMadd for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMadd View Post
    ...grossly overpriced D'Addario NBronze.
    What makes you say they’re overpriced?

My local place charges $7.50 for EJ75 and $12 for the NB version. I get way more than twice the life out of the NB, plus they feel and sound better to me. To my ears (and wallet) that does not add up to overpriced.

The NYXL steel they use for the plain strings and cores really is better than everybody else’s stuff, at least for my needs. I also use the NB strings on my guitar, and I tune it all over the place, from open C to open E and all tensions in between. It doesn’t take very many times of going from C to E for a regular .013 to break, but I’ve had the same set of NB .013-.056 on for at least 4 or 5 months, probably more like 6. Same with my dobro going from open D to high G.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

18. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

I love them. They are my string of choice and I got the local music store to carry the 11.5-40 sets just for me. I usually get at least 4-6 weeks out of one set even playing every day.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

20. The following members say thank you to Teak for this post:

copper+ tin is bronze, nickel added instead of phosphorus, to the bronze?

metallurgy question, not about perceived sound change
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

22. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

I really like them, was using them for the last 8-9 mos, but then put on a set of Curt Mangan PB's at the last change. Now I'm digging the overtones and such that I was avoiding before. So goes the eternal experimentation with strings and picks. Just when you think you've got it all figured out....
    Mitch Russell

24. The following members say thank you to onassis for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    copper+ tin is bronze, nickel added instead of phosphorus, to the bronze?

metallurgy question, not about perceived sound change
    From what I read, these are phosphor bronze strings with nickel coating. The phosphorus content is less than 0.35% and is supposed to help with wear resistance and stiffen the tin-copper (bronze) alloy. The nickel makes them brighter and longer lasting, perhaps by increasing the corrosion and wear resistance.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

26. The following members say thank you to Teak for this post:

Do most of your mandolins have a Sitka or Red Spruce top? Has anyone tried them on an Engleman topped mandolin?

28. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

I've been gravitating toward the nickel/bronze/monel realm for the past year or so and have tried Mangan Monel, GHS Nickel, D'addario NB. The Nickel Bronze have been my go to for mandolin and guitar, but I just put on the second set of D'addario Monels on the mandolin. They break in fast and seem to keep their tone for a while. Not going to be everyone's cup of tea, tone-wise, but worth a try.

30. The following members say thank you to Prelude for this post:

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

In a way the daddario ones lull me into a false sense of security - they DO break but only after about double the number of gigs I used to be able to get out of pb strings.
    I love them. But I am still over cautious as I had one go minutes before a festival slot where we were up against it timing wise.
    Thank heaven for James tailpieces!! So quick to restring and amazingly my tuning was pretty stable.
    But I digress. To sum up - great sound and brilliant life just don't over rely on them - which is of course very sensible!!
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

32. The following members say thank you to Lord of the Badgers for this post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    Do most of your mandolins have a Sitka or Red Spruce top? Has anyone tried them on an Engleman topped mandolin?
    They sound great to me on my Engelmann topped Heiden.
    Would you be expecting a predictable difference among various woods?
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phil Goodson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    I have both a Sitka spruce topped mandolin and an Englemann spruce topped one. The nickel bronze strings sound good on both.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teak For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    They sound great to me on my Engelmann topped Heiden.
    Would you be expecting a predictable difference among various woods?
    Phil,

I don't have an answer for that question. I was just asking to see if any of you have noticed a substantial difference.

Thanks for the replies.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George R. Lane For This Useful Post: