Thread: Love in vain

Default Love in vain

Hello, it’s been discussed on here before. Don’t suppose anyone has a tab for Ry Cooders solo in the Stones song love in vain. Would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by benedict1973; Aug-29-2018 at 5:27pm. Reason: Got name wrong

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Love in vain

Benedict, just a note to thank you for posting this ... I had a listen. I've never heard the Stones play this (pathetic, I guess, since I'm 63 years old). My introduction to that song was from Robert Johnson, and your post sent me down memory lane to re-listen to both the takes he cut on that tune once again, as well as Clapton's very fine attempt to conjure up Mr. Johnson, playing this tune, and the cool rendition Keb' Mo' did of it ... all that was well worth researching the question, and thank you again for sending me down that memory lane rabbit hole.

I'd love to hear Keith Richards do that one solo, I think he'd do good on it. Would really be cool to hear Ry Cooder do a solo mandolin version too, I'd wager.

I don't have tab for what Ry Cooder did on the Stone's version though, sorry. When I listened, it seemed that he was just improvising with some tremolo and a few licks here and there. Good luck, you can probably figure that out with a little work, or better yet, make your own mandolin additions if you're playing this with a group.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff