Thread: EXP color

Default EXP color

I just changed the strings on my Rigel and realized I was out of the EXP74's I usually use and decided to load up a set of EXP77's I bought a while ago for my Old Wave oval. I like the 80/20s on ovals, but I don't have much experience with them on F-holes, so I thought I'd try them.

Anyhow, I realized the set I was putting on was missing the E strings. I probably broke one back in the past and didn't mark the packaging as an incomplete set as I usually do. So I cracked open another set of 77s and the plain steels were a gold-ish color instead of silver. So now I have silver colored A strings and gold colored E strings. I don't really care about the looks.

But I notice that the gold E strings don't seem as bright as the usual EXP E strings or the silver colored A strings. It is pretty significant. Anyone have ideas about that? Could it just be that one set is older than the others? Any idea why D'Addario went with one type for a while and then changed?

Default Re: EXP color

I'm having the same issue with EXP 74's were yours in paper like mine?

EXPs in paper? I don't use coated strings, but I only use D'Addarios, and they always come in a plastic inner wrapper. You may be getting the counterfeit strings that are circulating widely right now. There are resources online that can help you identify counterfeit strings if you search for them.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

You know that EXP A & E strings are marked "Brass Plated Steel" ?
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I was told that those strings....(at 16 bucks a set)....had not be transitioned to plastic yet...unlucky for me I guess I was in direct contact with Players Circle Chat, that was what I was told

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    EXPs in paper? I don't use coated strings, but I only use D'Addarios, and they always come in a plastic inner wrapper. You may be getting the counterfeit strings that are circulating widely right now. There are resources online that can help you identify counterfeit strings if you search for them.
    The EXPs still come in paper envelopes for each pair.
    The EJs don't, as per D'Addario customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    You know that EXP A & E strings are marked "Brass Plated Steel" ?
    Yes, but I have plain steels from two different sets of EXP77's that both say, "Brass Plated Steel" but one set is silver colored and the other is brass colored. Using D'Addario's guide to spotting fakes, if these are fakes, they are above average fakes. And the silver colored plain steels, which would be more likely to be fakes, sound a lot better than the brass colored ones. I have had them so long that I don't even remember where I got them. Time to buy some new strings!

8. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post: