Thread: pocket mandolin

Default pocket mandolin

Anyone know anything about this one? The price converted to USD would be about $150.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-string-instr...ationFlag=true

There's a link to a video of someone demonstrating one, which sounds fairly twangy, but I don't know if that's typical.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e-c_HkqpZo8

I was thinking of it in terms of a travel mandolin, something I could take along on a fiddling night, or leave in the trunk without feeling nervous all evening. It's close enough for me to try before buying. Still, I'm curious as to what Mandolin Cafe folks know.
    Last edited by Ranald; Aug-27-2018 at 8:45am. Reason: mistake in currency rate
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Default Re: pocket mandolin

As a bassist, the idea of a small "travel" mandolin seems rather, umm, let's just say unnecessary.

A full size mandolin is already a travel instrument.

3. The following members say thank you to rowka for this post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

A full size mandolin is already a travel instrument.
    Well, let’s say that depends upon your travel plans. Take care of the grams and the ounces will take care of themselves.
    Like the RVers that drill holes in their tooth brush and silverware. Too much, maybe.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Aug-27-2018 at 11:09am. Reason: fixed quote syntax
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

I have one of those, labeled "Holdrio Piccolo." German made, as I guess most of them were; it has the Marcelli-marked tailpiece, often found on German instruments.

Personally, I find it a novelty rather than a useful instrument. I acquired mine as a gift from my great-aunt, who got it who knows where. It has a very small, thin sound, and the short-scale neck is quite thick for its length.

It is smaller than a "regular" mandolin, but standard mandolins are already small instruments. It's decently constructed for an inexpensive mandolin, but the marquetry "pickguard" easily shows signs of wear. (Mine has an inlay of someone in African or Bedouin garb, or maybe a Zouave; go figure.) Three-piece domed back of un-figured maple, rosewood fingerboard, probably maple neck and headstock, one strip of marquetry to bind the body, workable brass strip tuners.

There would be some marginal space/weight savings, using it as a "travel" instrument. You'd never find a case for it -- mine rattles around in a 1/16 violin case -- but someone could whip up a little gig bag, I guess. If you can get it for under $100, might be of interest. Otherwise, I'd just buy an inexpensive instrument of "normal" size.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

6. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Ranald 

If you really need a smaller mandolin I would get a Seagull S8. This thread was about a bicyclist who wanted a smaller one.They are more expensive but are decent sounding for the price. If you just want a beach mandolin then go for a lower end Kentucky or The Loar.

Personally I think those German or eastern European pocket mandolins are pretty poor sounding at least all the ones that I have played as Allen notes above.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Ranald 

Thanks, Allen & Jim.
    You've told me what I need to know. I did follow a thread about mandolins for camping, travelling, etc. I don't really need one; I just ran across that ad, so I was curious. However, with your advice I'll pass on the "pocket mandolin." I have a Godin A8 and an old banjolin that I'm satisfied with, and have tried out the Seagulls, which are also made by Godin in Quebec. If I decide I need a smaller one, I'll consider the Seagull. However, I am happy with my mandolin and banjolin, and thought I was resistant to MAS, but there I was looking at a third mando. Perhaps I need a "sponsor," as in AA, to call at times like this.
    Ranald
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

10. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Perhaps a proper full size bowlback would be a better temptation

The Seagull is miles ahead of that pocket mando in terms of tone and playability.

As Allen said, these are more about novelty than great sound or playability.
    Given what Ranald said he was looking for, taking a pass on this one was probably the right thing to do.

I have one similar to the Holdrio's but unmarked, which is surprisingly playable given that the neck looks like 12 miles of bad road. It has a funky sound rather than a great sound, which can actually be kind of fun.

What is very frustrating for me is that it has the "Patented Richter tuners". While these are very cool from a mechanical perspective, they are non-geared one-to-one ratio and super annoying to tune with. The strings thread over a pulley on a lever which forces a friction brake against a drum on the tuner, locking it in place when you stop turning it. While the concept is interesting, I'd much prefer geared tuners for usability. There's one like it on ebay that has a great photo of these tuners, and has been up there for years because this person thinks they'll get big $ for this "rare mandolin" even though it has no bridge or tailpiece.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-PIC...53.m1438.l2649

The eighth and ninth photos show these tuners in all their patented glory.

14. The following members say thank you to Alfons for this post: