Thread: Right Hand Pick Slips When I Strum Chop Chords

Default Right Hand Pick Slips When I Strum Chop Chords

I'm having this problem where my picks tends to slip off center when fast strumming. It gets to a point where I constantly have to readjust my grip and can interfere with the flow of my playing. Any tips on how I should be gripping when I strum vs. picking out melodies?

Default Re: Right Hand Pick Slips When I Strum Chop Chords

There is a prodcut called Gorilla Snot (I'm serious) that is used to keep the pick in place. Some players use rosin. Eventually you get the hang of holding the pick but in the meantime try it. I keep a small jar in my case because there are days that my skin is just too dry.

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Snot-...s=gorilla+snot
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

geoffa 

Dave Sheets

Weirdly enough, you have to avoid gripping too tightly, and hit this sort of balance point in how much pressure you apply.

Also, you might try a couple different picks, the feel of different materials seems to matter, though what works for me, may not work for you. BlueChip picks are really pricey, but for me, they don't "wander" around while I'm playing. Try some different weight picks as well, differences in the flex may matter for you.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Also …. some picks come with holes drilled in the center while helps grip a pick. Some players glue a small piece of sand paper to the side of a pick. Blue Chip picks are easy to hang on to. I have no idea why. As stated above a loose qrip and loose wrist helps. If you don't drop a pick occasionally you are gripping it too tight. And yes it does get easier with practice. Play on! R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

All the above suggestions are spot on. Finally, you might want to look more closely at your pickstroke as you hit a chop chord. Is it even across the strings? Are you digging in too deeply? Is the pick angle consistent throughout? Does it 'bounce' unduly off the lower strings (adding to friction) before making it to the higher strings? It's possible that chop chords might be causing the pick to twist in your grip, due to the angles of the stroke. If so, changing your angle of attack in small ways may make a world of difference.

7. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    It's possible that chop chords might be causing the pick to twist in your grip, due to the angles of the stroke. If so, changing your angle of attack in small ways may make a world of difference.
    Good tip. A loose pick grip with only an up down deflection of pick

I have some fancy hand shaped highly textured picks that I can't hold onto any better than anything else (neurological problem). I take a piece of masking tape and circle it around on itself with the sticky side out. I put that on the top side of the pick and everything is good.

That tends to happen if you're hitting the strings with the front edge of the pick. Try to position the pick in your fingers so that you hit the strings with the point. You could do what i used to do when i first started,use a tiny piece of 'Bluetack' squashed very thinly onto the thumb side of the pick - it works fine & it's cheap !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Ideally your grip is not fixed but fluid, but for now you can’t aim that high. Sblock points out that the strings push back at the pick so you need a stroke that uses that to push the pick into your grip. This simply takes time and practice, and the more loosely you grip the more obvious the dynamics of it will be. Hold it loosely and let your grip try different angles, and eventually your fingers will find the answer.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    Hold it loosely and let your grip try different angles, and eventually your fingers will find the answer.
    Yes. Also muting the strings lightly with my left hand helps me focus on the feedback from the pick and grip.