Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Custom Build Luthiers

Default Re: Custom Build Luthiers

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    It's Triggs not Trigg.
    I'm very sorry, I know it's triggs, I just made an error in typing. I will go back and see if I can edit and correct it. Again sorry for the typo mistake, please forgive...

It's letting me edit this post, but won't let me fix my mistake, sorry.
    I will try and read more carefully what I've typed before I post it.
    2011 Black A5 (#9) Mandolin
    1952 Gibson A-40N Mandolin
    1924 Gibson TB-1 Trapdoor Tenor Banjo
    1975 Gibson MK-35 Hybrid Braced Dreadnought Guitar
    1993 Washburn M3 SW/TS F-Style Mandolin
    2004 Martin D-16 GT Dreadnought Guitar
    2006 Martin DC-16RGTE AURA Dreadnought Guitar
    1997 Seagull S6 Dreadnought Guitar
    1970's Kay KB-52 5-String Banjo
    1960's Pirles 4-String Tenor Banjo

Silverangel are made by Ken Ratcliff.

Search the forum for Silverangel, you’ll find plenty of info. He’s sending me a new El Fantasma, due to arrive today.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rowka For This Useful Post:

Lawrence Kansas is the home to another Mandolin great as well.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I'd maybe add ''Girouard'' mandolins to the list. Everything i've read about them on here has been very positive. Jamie Weins builds some fabulous mandolins,certainly amongst the very nicest in appearance that i've ever seen on here,& i believe that they sound as good as they look. Jonathan McClanahan also builds superior quality mandolins. I'd have both those guys on my short list of builders,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weins F5 2.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	170592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maclanahan Trinity.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	170593
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Thanks so much for all the opinions!
    So far just by looks and reading about them, I really like Mike Black's A5 & Northfield's A5 Special
    Sooo many pieces of candy in the jar....
    If I go through with this, it will be my first buy into the luxury models, so to speak. Although my mandolins have served well and the Gibson is Wide open, it's either a nice mandolin or 4-string tenor banjo that I'm thinking about.
    Not rushed for time, so I can be patient and hopefully make a good decision.
    Thanks again for all opinions, they are very informative to me....

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

The popular luthiers getting a lot of play from the pros, and rightfully so are Sorensen and McClanahan
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DataNick For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by treidm View Post
    If you happen to remember his name, sounds very interesting with carvings and art. would like to see photos of some of his work.
    thanks for all the names, I've jotted them all down.
    Ken Ratcliff

11. The following members say thank you to Ranger Bob for this post:

treidm 

Sonny Morris (Howard) builds great fiddles and mandolins. His style is intentionally understated - you won't see any fancy inlay or even binding. He builds for tone and playability, and excels at both. He is based not far from me in Oregon. I have a custom hybrid F4 he built that has a better low end response than anything else I've played, which includes quite a few of the "big boys." A Morris mando will set you back about a third to a half of a Weber, Collings, Gibson, etc.

Another favorite builder is Tom TJ Jessen of Cricketfiddle. Somehow I've ended up with 5 of his instruments - an F5 mandolin, A4 10 string mandola, F4 octave mando, custom 10 string F4 mandocello and custom 10 string hardanger viola. Very reasonable prices, very easy to work with, beautifully built and awesome sounding.

13. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

Tom Jessen's work is interesting. It's probably a good thing that he includes custom cases with his instruments.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Scratch Northfield, didn't realize some or most were made in China.
    Quite a few of the Brands mentioned look promising, Thanks for all the tips....
    Last edited by treidm; Sep-01-2018 at 11:43pm.

I second Mandobart's recommendation of Sonny Morris. I am beyond thrilled with my Morris A5. Best $995 I have ever spent. He is certainly willing to customize for ya.

17. The following members say thank you to Willem for this post:

Some of the Northfields are made in Michigan, some in China. I wouldn't scratch them off though. They are still hand built, in a small shop, and very well made. Just because their facility is in China doesn't mean they are mass produced in a big instrument factory.

19. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Blog Entries

I agree with Al regarding Northfield. The proof is in the pudding-- great instruments that are being played by people such as Mike Marshall. And a second to Howard Morris' work-- the tone and action of his instruments are very impressive. You select the woods, finish and nut width, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Some of the Northfields are made in Michigan, some in China. I wouldn't scratch them off though. They are still hand built, in a small shop, and very well made. Just because their facility is in China doesn't mean they are mass produced in a big instrument factory.
    It's not mass produced in big factory that makes me scratch them off my list.
    I am retired Union worker. If possible our family buys from USA co. made in USA, if not available next will be American co and assembled here and down the line.... Then with foreign made we do strong union country's that have great workers rights records like France, Germany, Sweden etc.. If at last resort, nothing but Asian is available like TVs DVD players etc, then we have to, but we prefer to use American made if we can. We also shop at local hardware stores etc.. and only if we have to use Walmart
    There are plenty Mandolin makers that are USA made. Others may choose to buy by their criteria and that's great and the American way. Ours is a preference to USA made by American co. It looks as though northfield is double breasted co. and has alot done in china, so we'll pass on them. They do look very nice and by the youtubes, they sound very good also, just not for us.
    There are quite a few that have been mentioned that I'm really diggin' ! So thanks again for all the tips. I've settled on getting an A-5 style so far. In no hurry, as I'm still building the stack of cash it's gonna take to do this....

Best bang for the buck custom A5s that satisfy your need for American manufacture, in no particular order (and all of whom have been mentioned already)

** Girouard
    ** Mike Black
    ** Pava
    ** Northfield (at least two A5 models and one A4 made entirely in Michigan)

23. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

I've been looking at the Blacks and like them. I will now look into the Girouard & Pava. Thanks...
    I still will stay away from a dbl breasted co, that has many made in china. Again, it's our preference to buy from USA co. that makes them All in the USA. Plenty available for me to choose from. There will be plenty that can buy from northfield, just not me.
    Thanks again for all the names for me to check out. VERY helpful!

I've been looking at the Blacks and like them. I will now look into the Girouard & Pava. Thanks...
    I still will stay away from a dbl breasted co, that has many made in china. Again, it's our preference to buy from USA co. that makes them All in the USA. Plenty available for me to choose from. There will be plenty that can buy from northfield, just not me.
    Understood.
    Where are you located? There may be someone local to you as well where you can try some of their builds.
    If you're looking for A5 models,
    You might also consider Mark Franzke also in the KC area https://www.mfstrings.com/about.html

I'm also a fan of Steve Smith @ Cumberland Acoustic. His line of Redline A5 mandolins is worth well more than the $2000 he asks for them
    https://redlineacoustics.com/mandolins/a-5-mandolins

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

You can't go wrong with any of your three potential choices of Girouard, Pava or Black. I went with Girouard and absolutely love it !

28. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

treidm 

Sooner or later people need to “absorb” the fact that the portion of Northfield mandolins actually constructed in China are made there because that is where the individual within the company responsible for those tasks has chosen to live. None of the Northfield models are made en masses like Eastman or Kentucky. Would you feel the same if he/she did the same tasks in Portugal or Peru?

Judge the builder and instrument by how well it suits your needs and the budget, not where it’s being made. I’ve seen some pretty rough looking and sounding instruments come out of luthier-built shops located in the US. I wouldn’t buy them over a Northfield.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Time to throw another up and coming luthier into the works.
    If you aren’t looking for a strickly “Gibson” toned instrument, it might be of interest to look at Tyler White, of “White Mandolins”.
    I have seen a number of his instruments first hand. While each of them has its own voice they all tend to be very pleasant to the ear.
    His work is just beautiful. He handrubs the stain to get a real vinatage look. And, has developed some wonderful skill in doing so, getting the wood grain to POP.
    He is VERY picky with his coice of woods. He also puts very great thought into what woods he uses. He often chooses Red Spruce for tops, though he has used Engleman on a few, and uses primarily Sugar Maple for the backs. This too is not an absolute as he built a Red Maple backed one lately that was really nice.
    He takes a respectful amount of pride in his work knowing that his name is on each one that goes out the door.
    Add to this he is quite a pleasant individual to talk with about his process of building. He is open to hearing choices of different options/appointments on the instruments he builds. He also has enough experience to give a bit of feedback on why he would or would not recommend doing so.
    One more great thing. At this point in his history of building his price point is very desirable. Giving amazing value to what he is building.
    He can be found on the Builders List here on the cafe, or a quick google search will find him. He has some very attractive pics on his website of his previous builds. He can also be found on Instagram, showing his builds and his shop. One other place is to look on YouTube; a number of videos there to hear the tone and power of his mandolins.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Hanson For This Useful Post:

Sad to say, I heard that Bill Halsey has decided that he’s retiring from the Mandolin building facet of his considerable woodworking talents. He will continue to make bows but, mandolins are no longer on the Bill of fare. (Sorry, I’ll go to the corner)
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Sooner or later people need to “absorb” the fact that the portion of Northfield mandolins actually constructed in China are made there because that is where the individual within the company responsible for those tasks has chosen to live. None of the Northfield models are made en masses like Eastman or Kentucky. Would you feel the same if he/she did the same tasks in Portugal or Peru?

Judge the builder and instrument by how well it suits your needs and the budget, not where it’s being made. I’ve seen some pretty rough looking and sounding instruments come out of luthier-built shops located in the US. I wouldn’t buy them over a Northfield.
    Please don't judge me, on my choice to buy by my criteria, thanks.
    This is a major large buy in our budget, and it's taken very serious with the choices we make

If I have a choice, I personalty choose to buy American made by American co., but have no judgements on anyone that wishes to buy them. If you like them, don't mind the china thing, by all means, buy one or two or more.

There are so many American made ones out there.
    I don't think I'll have any trouble finding quality and not "rough looking and sounding" ones you wrote of.

Thanks again to all who have offered names for me to look into!
    Very informative and helping me make a decision, while I build my cash pile for this expenditure.

colorado_al on KC area
    Soooooo helpful! Thanks.....
    I bought a Martin Guitar, had Gibson Mandolin worked on, Gibson guitar worked on, all at mass street
    love the place! I'm close to Lawrence
    on the KC ones I will definitely check them out...
    Jim Baggett (owner of Mass St Music)is an incredibly knowledgeable man as well being a nice guy. He won't steer you wrong.

Hi Treidm,

I just had Mike Black do a build for me. I also have a flat-top Terry Majewski of Crystal Forest built (I bought it new but it was not specifically built for me). It is a real treat to be able to have one specifically built for you, like my interaction with Mike. It is also a treat to be able to speak directly with a builder even if it is not a 'built for you' deal. In fact, Terry and I have kept in touch for years now.

If that is what makes you happy, go for it. I probably will again one day. It really does add to the experience of getting a new instrument, at least for me.

Be aware, though, that there is often a waiting line before your build starts. Once you decide on a builder, as you are nearing piling up all the cash, but before you are quite there, speak with the builder and get on the waiting list. It will be limit the time you will ultimately be waiting.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

37. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

treidm 

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hanson View Post
    If you aren’t looking for a strickly “Gibson” toned instrument, it might be of interest to look at Tyler White, of “White Mandolins”.
    I will absolutely check him out!

Very good question, as I never mentioned the type of sound or music it will be played in.

I prefer tone bars over x-braced
    I prefer F-holes over round or oval
    I prefer A-style, due to cost of F's [But F-style would be great]
    I prefer NOT having gold colored tailpiece or tuning pegs
    I prefer NOT having a lot of fancy inlays
    I prefer Varnish finish
    I prefer having a pick-guard

I would like having excellent bottom end, deep, and woody, very good to excellent mids and good to very good highs.

We play:
    Bluegrass, Folk, Folk Rock, Blues and Original music that we or friends have written