Thread: Old Time Open Jams

Default Old Time Open Jams

A friend of mine started this some time ago and if you go there, and have a facebook account, you can see a map of jams around the world. The place, time and day is listed and kept up to date. You can also submit a jam you know of if you know of one not listed. It's a great resource for finding a jam when traveling or moving to a new area.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

2. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Default Re: Old Time Open Jams

I may not have explained this correctly. Google----- Old Time Open Jams----- for the info.

Registered User wellvis@well.com's Avatar

Perhaps you mean this group on Facebook?
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/390588871395459/about/
    Brad's Page of Steel:
    http://www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
    A website devoted to acoustic & electric steel guitars

I am not a facebook member so I can't see the link. I have a text from the site owner to allow me to get there so I am not sure if we are talking about the same. It is not a group, but a single person doing the site. There are similar sites, one uses jam instead of jams. It is a great site for information on old time, irish and some other music style jams.

I am a Facebook member but I can't see any map perhaps because I am not approved as yet to join this group. On the other hand it sounds like it is a Google map with jams indicated but I cannot see where to link to it.

Also:
    If the interactive map does not work for you, it could be because you don't have a Google account. If you have any trouble using the map, please simply give the information to admin, and we will put your mark on the map for you!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Try this link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/390588871395459/

It wouldn't come up for me on Firefox, it did before, but it came up on explorer???? Not sure what's up with that.

Scroll down and the map should be there.

Pops1 has the FB page. Here is the direct link to the jam map.

Here is what it looks like for North America:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 10.47.57 AM.png 
Views:	299 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	170485
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hi all, I am the creator of Old Time Open Jams on face book. It is a face book group and has 3 administrators including me. Here is a copy of what is in the "About" section of this face book group to help you navigate better: To access the interactive map simply click on it, using a smart phone, tap on "View pinned post, just under the Railroad track photo. Events are marked thusly: Old Time Open Jams are in Blue, Irish Trad/Old Time jams are marked in Green, Festivals, conventions ect are marked in Red and fiddle events are marked in Purple.

If the interactive map does not work for you, it could be because you don't have a Google account. If you have any trouble using the map, please simply give the information to admin, and we will put your mark on the map for you!

Always remember to please verify any open jam you plan on attending by using the contact info provided or calling the establishment where the jam is to be held.

Thanks Wushushi, that helps having more info than I was able to do. Just wanted to get it out there for folks as it is a great resource.

Welcome to the Cafe, it's a great place to hang out.

Wushushi: I run a monthly jam in Yorktown Heights, NY. How do I get that one listed on the map? A friend runs another in Beacon, NY. I don't see either on the map.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Thanks for the invite pops1

Jim Garber, just post the info for a jam on the Old Time Open Jams feed and either me, or the other two admins will pin it to the map with location, date, time and contact info. Or you can just tell me here and I'll pin it.

14. The following members say thank you to Wushushi for this post:

Teak 

Cool.

The Note Gallery in Marshall, Minnesota, hosts an "open mic" the first and third Thursday of every month from 7-8 p.m. It is not specific to any style of music since small towns cannot be too choosy. Those that attend tend towards swing and old time jazz, but we have had drop-ins who wanted to play old timey and bluegrass, fiddle tunes, and so forth. Anyone passing through the area should call ahead to The Note Gallery to make sure the house band isn't playing somewhere else that night since without the house band present, there is no jam.

I can also state that Whitney Music in Willmar, Minnesota, has an open mic night every Monday, from 6-7 p.m. Again, call ahead to Whitney Music if passing through the area.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

16. The following members say thank you to Teak for this post:

Wushushi: I posted the information for our jam in Yorktown Heights, NY on the feed on FB.

For OT players on MC:

We host an old time jam and potluck at Hilltop Hanover Farm in Yorktown Heights, NY on the first Friday of each month from 7pm-10pm. All levels of players and listeners are invited to attend.

Please bring a healthy dish to share. We also request a $5 minimum donation to cover costs to the Farm.

Directions to the farm are on this page:

Google Maps is a little confused when you use the street number but finds the farm when you just put in the name. Try this link.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

18. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Thanks Teak. Usually we don't post "open mics" as they are often amplified. We on Old Time Open Jams post unplugged Open Jams. We could include yours if it is unplugged and it accepts Old Time and traditional fiddle tunes. Is this open mic unplugged?

Quote Originally Posted by Wushushi View Post
    Thanks Teak. Usually we don't post "open mics" as they are often amplified. We on Old Time Open Jams post unplugged Open Jams. We could include yours if it is unplugged and it accepts Old Time and traditional fiddle tunes. Is this open mic unplugged?
    They are called "open mic" for lack of a better term. I have attended both and there is never any mic turned on and they are acoustic. They are truly jams in that the song choice goes around the circle and everyone is playing the same tune.

The song choices are eclectic. Fiddle tunes, bluegrass tunes, Ragtime, Dixieland, swing, and folk tunes tend to dominate. I like swing tunes from the 1920s and 1930s which I consider to be "old time".
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

21. The following members say thank you to Teak for this post:

Thanks Teak. The Note Gallery Open Jam is now pinned to the map in Old Time Open Jams face book group. Do you have the details for the Whitney Music jam as well?

23. The following members say thank you to Wushushi for this post:

Teak 

Quote Originally Posted by Wushushi View Post
    Thanks Teak. The Note Gallery Open Jam is now pinned to the map in Old Time Open Jams face book group. Do you have the details for the Whitney Music jam as well?
    The Monday jam in Willmar, Minnesota, is held at Whitney Music, 6-7 pm. It is truly a jam in that people sit in a circle and the song choice goes around the circle. Mostly acoustic guitars but there is the occasional piano and accordian. I spent a year attending that jam and they said they liked having the mandolin involved. The song choices tend towards folk and old timey stuff, like bluegrass and country-and-western.

Small town jams rarely are specialized like large cities can afford to be. If you show up, you can play whatever you want. Others will try and join in, even with the guy that plays 5/4 time alternating with 4/4 and 3.5/4. We have to be encouraging to keep people attending.

Whitney Music also used to host a Saturday morning bluegrass jam for two hours. I never attended that but I will check and see if they still host it.

25. The following members say thank you to Teak for this post:

Thanks Teak, Whitney Music Monday Jam is now pinned on the Old Time Open Jams map.