Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BlueChip folks -look at this pic and tell me which one to try

Question BlueChip folks -look at this pic and tell me which one to try

I want to try one of these highfalutin things. What I need is a pick in the approximate thickness, maybe a bit thinner, than the Dawg II at left, and the approximate shape and size of the green Dunlop at right. I've never seen a definitive answer on the thickness of the Dawg picks - estimates seem to be in the 1.5mm to 2mm range.

As far as I can tell, that means I want a TD60 or a TD80. And given that the TD60 is an already excessive $35, I think that seals the deal (as the TD80 is $50, and I just can't make myself do that). Can someone confirm that the TD60 would, in fact, be a fairly heavy (1.5mm, as I understand their numbering) teardrop shape?

And if any of you fancy pick folks can suggest other brands that would approximate this thickness and shape that might be worth a try - throw that in here too.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3551.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	170345
    "I'm a farmer with a mandolin and a high tenor voice."

Default Re: BlueChip folks -look at this pic and tell me which one to try

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	774F8F08-DFD7-41BB-BA0D-63CB154CD016.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	493.0 KB 
ID:	170347 the Dawg is 60 thousands of an inch thick same as the BC TD 60.

3. The following members say thank you to 707erich for this post:

Just buy either and try it, as I recall they have a return policy and you can sell it easy here in the Cafe classifieds for about $5 less than you bought it. I’ll buy the 80 if you don’t like it.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    Just buy either and try it, as I recall they have a return policy
    This

Thank you for the measurement, 707erich!

save yer money and use that dunlop tortex. not sure of the thickness? for a few bucks go buy an array of different thicknesses and see what feels and sounds best. there are TONS of excellent string instrument picks that will all get the job done for cheap. promise.

snarling dogs "brain" heavy 1.14mm picks are faves of mine, an assortment kit of thicknesses is about $5. they can be easily shaped, if need be. they have an inner raised stippled texture that greatly enhancing a no-slip grip.

Last edited by rfd; Aug-20-2018 at 7:02am.
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rfd For This Useful Post:

DavidKOSJRG 

Anytime.

The BlueChip pick, model XR60, is the closest in shape to Dawg pick. The BlueChip TD60 is closest in shape to the green teardrop. "60" in these designations means 60 thousandths of an inch thick (=1.5 mm). If you want your pick thinner, go with the 50 (=1.4 mm).

I have a Blue Chip TAD-60 and love it, but when I am at a jam outdoors somewhere, especially when it's in a dark place, I'm afraid to lose it. In those situations, I use a Dunlop Primetone, model 512R, which is basically the same shape and thickness of the Blue Chip, but at way less of a cost(I just bought a 12 pack of them on Amazon for just under $24.00). The 512 comes with either a "grip" or smooth finish(as is the Blue Chip); I like the one with the grip(raised lettering creates the grip surface). Great pick! Read about them here: https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/51...e=&from=Search

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Harbst For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_75 View Post
    I want to try one of these highfalutin things. What I need is a pick in the approximate thickness, maybe a bit thinner, than the Dawg II at left, and the approximate shape and size of the green Dunlop at right. I've never seen a definitive answer on the thickness of the Dawg picks - estimates seem to be in the 1.5mm to 2mm range.
    As far as I can tell, that means I want a TD60 or a TD80. And given that the TD60 is an already excessive $35, I think that seals the deal (as the TD80 is $50, and I just can't make myself do that). Can someone confirm that the TD60 would, in fact, be a fairly
    heavy (1.5mm, as I understand their numbering) teardrop shape?
    And if any of you fancy pick folks can suggest other brands that would approximate this thickness and shape that might be worth a try - throw that in here too.Thanks! ATTACH=CONFIG]170345[/ATTACH]
    Fender extra heavy about 30 cents each or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    Fender extra heavy about 30 cents each or less.
    That about sums it up for me, also. My wife uses $50 a bottle shampoo and I use 99 cent a bottle shampoo. Her hair looks a lot better than mine, but she works at it more, so........

I don't think a $50 pick will change your life, but you might really like it........

Same with a $50 steak dinner, or so many things in life.......the $50 pick will last longer than the dinner, or at least until you lose it...

Not too many things I can't play with a Fender extra heavy pick.....

Again from left field.......the exception might be running shoes -- buy good ones and your ankles will thank you. I started with Chuck Taylor's and in a week I was nearly crippled until the local track star told me the secret.....paying $60 for running shoes was a big commitment 45 years ago......probably doesn't sound like much today.......

Jeff_75 …. I just sent you a PM.
    2014 Gibson 'Harvey' F5G
    1917 Gibson F2
    2013 'The' Loar LM600VS
    2013 Morgan Monroe 4FJ
    Blue Chip Picks
    The Scallywag Social Club

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

You will not know until you try. I prefer the rounded triangle shape of the TAD Blue Chip and use a 60 on guitar and the CT-55 on mandolin. These picks are definitely worth the money to me for ease of use and non wear after years of use. Shape and thickness are definitely personal choices so go with one like the one you use most. You can always buy another at a later date. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

17. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

If you're set on spending a lot for a pick, why not contact Blue Chip and ask for their recommendation?
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_75 View Post
    ...Can someone confirm that the TD60 would, in fact, be a fairly heavy (1.5mm, as I understand their numbering) teardrop shape?...
    As already noted by others, the TD 60 is the correct choice given your stated preference. Your only other choices is speed bevel (right hand speed bevel is standard) or rounded bevel (not speed bevel). Most people prefer the speed bevel. I have both in the TPR shape and my preference depends on the instrument. Getting the standard speed bevel is a safe choice. You can return it or sell it later at very little loss, maybe the price of an average set of strings. That size and shape is popular.

20. The following members say thank you to Buck for this post:

Blog Entries

My experience with the TAD60 has been wonderful.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Speed bevel is slightly brighter tone than round bevel, and slipperier over the strings, hence then name 'speed'.

BC materiel is already slipperier than anything else, I wanted dark so I went with round bevel.

TP60 for me, I like triangles, and the smaller TP size was perfect, I already knew size, shape and bevel before I went in.
    Basically I bought a direct 'upgrade' to the primetone 1.4 triangles I was playing, but with a round bevel and slightly thicker to darken things up a bit.

BC's are fantastic if you are good at not losing picks... :-)
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Quote Originally Posted by kurth83 View Post
    BC's are fantastic if you are good at not losing picks... :-)
    Spending $35 on a pick is a wonderful way to break the habit of losing them.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MediumMando5722 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    The BlueChip pick, model XR60, is the closest in shape to Dawg pick. The BlueChip TD60 is closest in shape to the green teardrop. "60" in these designations means 60 thousandths of an inch thick (=1.5 mm). If you want your pick thinner, go with the 50 (=1.4 mm).
    Not to split hairs, but 50 mil is 1.27mm. 1.4mm would be closer to 55 mil.

I'm always flabbergasted that folks (especially here in the US) have an easier time thinking of picks in millimeters rather than mil (1 mil = 1/1,000 of an inch) given that we don't use metric for much else. This is made all the more baffling given that we use mil for string gauges almost exclusively. What size is your G string? 40 (mil). What size is your pick? 1mm (40 mil).

26. The following members say thank you to bradeasley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bradeasley View Post
    Not to split hairs, but 50 mil is 1.27mm. 1.4mm would be closer to 55 mil.

I'm always flabbergasted that folks (especially here in the US) have an easier time thinking of picks in millimeters rather than mil (1 mil = 1/1,000 of an inch) given that we don't use metric for much else. This is made all the more baffling given that we use mil for string gauges almost exclusively. What size is your G string? 40 (mil). What size is your pick? 1mm (40 mil).
    I'm with you... dependent upon the type/thickness of hair that's being split, of course. It's also astonishing to me that many (myself, previously included) will spend thousands of dollars for a quality instrument, but have issues spending $35 bucks for a quality pick.. Kind of like buying a Bentley then shopping at Costco for tires.
    2014 Gibson 'Harvey' F5G
    1917 Gibson F2
    2013 'The' Loar LM600VS
    2013 Morgan Monroe 4FJ
    Blue Chip Picks
    The Scallywag Social Club

I have played many different picks in my life. Nothing Ive played beats a Blue Chip in my opinion. Ive converted quite a few friends that had never played one until they played mine and loved it. I would say something in a 60 in a Blue Chip. I agree that the Primetone picks are the next best thing for me behind the Blue Chips. Wegens are also pretty good. EE

29. The following members say thank you to double E for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by KGreene View Post
    I'm with you... dependent upon the type/thickness of hair that's being split, of course. It's also astonishing to me that many (myself, previously included) will spend thousands of dollars for a quality instrument, but have issues spending $35 bucks for a quality pick.. Kind of like buying a Bentley then shopping at Costco for tires.
    I would have no problem spending $35 dollars for a " quality" pick if it was 100 times as good as what I was using. Heck I probaly would if it was 3 times as good, but I won't spend $35 for a pick that I can't tell the difference from my 35 cent pick except that it will last longer. My math says I can buy 100 of the 35 cent picks before I spend the $35. That the definition of quslity? Does the emperor have cloths?

Quote Originally Posted by double E View Post
    I agree that the Primetone picks are the next best thing for me behind the Blue Chips. Wegens are also pretty good. EE
    I've got some Primetone picks (and I like them - they are probably my favorite pick for playing my '01 Sam Bush. I tend to gravitate to the Dawg picks to get a more mellow tone out of some of my other mandolins.)

So tell me this - what's the difference in your Primetones and the BlueChip? While I've never used a BC, they appear nearly identical. Except the Primetones run me about $2.50 each, so I don't hate myself when I misplace one.

(Side note - I was not intending to re-kindle the constant debate about price. I know some people think $35 is okay for the pick, others think it's absurd. Everyone's subjective opinion is equally valid on the matter given their own circumstances and preferences. Personally, I think $35 is excessive, but I've never tried one. Obviously, I'm willing to spend the money and try it out. My primary reservation isn't paying that much for a pick, it's paying that much for something I normally don't pay much attention to and that I'm likely to lose at some point. YMMV.)

but I won't spend $35 for a pick that I can't tell the difference from my 35 cent pick except that it will last longer.
    If you can't tell the difference, you obviously shouldn't buy one. I can tell the difference, I've bought several, and you can count me among BlueChip's very satisfied customers.

I don't see anywhere where anyone defined quality as a pick that's no different from a 35 cent pick except that it lasts longer.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MediumMando5722 For This Useful Post:

I would have no problem spending $35 dollars for a " quality" pick if it was 100 times as good as what I was using. Heck I probaly would if it was 3 times as good, but I won't spend $35 for a pick that I can't tell the difference from my 35 cent pick except that it will last longer. My math says I can buy 100 of the 35 cent picks before I spend the $35. That the definition of quslity? Does the emperor have cloths?
    An innocent thread where a person is asking for advice about BC picks, and out come the haters..

Why not just let the person get advice for their very specific question? Why make this a referendum on why you don't like BC picks? It shouldn't be about you, it should be about helping someone with their specific question/problem when they ask for said help.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ccravens For This Useful Post: