Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BlueChip folks -look at this pic and tell me which one to try

Default Re: BlueChip folks -look at this pic and tell me which one to try

Quote Originally Posted by ccravens View Post
    An innocent thread where a person is asking for advice about BC picks, and out come the haters..
    Why not just let the person get advice for their very specific question? Why make this a referendum on why you don't like BC picks? It shouldn't be about you, it should be about helping someone with their specific question/problem when they ask for said help.
    You're right I shouldn't have said what I did, it wasn't answering the OP question. But when told I would spend thousands on a mandolin then refuse to spend money on a quality pick it struck a nerve with me. I think the picks I use are quality, just not expensive.

Fair enough Mandoplumb.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Quote Originally Posted by ccravens View Post
    an innocent thread where a person is asking for advice about bc picks, and out come the haters..

Why not just let the person get advice for their very specific question? Why make this a referendum on why you don't like bc picks? It shouldn't be about you, it should be about helping someone with their specific question/problem when they ask for said help.
    amen !

4. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

The pickiest pickers pick picks based on what picks best. Boy howdy do picky pickers know picks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    I would have no problem spending $35 dollars for a " quality" pick if it was 100 times as good as what I was using. Heck I probaly would if it was 3 times as good, but I won't spend $35 for a pick that I can't tell the difference from my 35 cent pick except that it will last longer. My math says I can buy 100 of the 35 cent picks before I spend the $35. That the definition of quslity? Does the emperor have cloths?
    The OP only asked about which BC model would match closest to the thickness and shape of the picks pictured. I don't recall him asking anyone's opinion about buying Blue Chip. I don't understand why all the Blue Chip haters feel compelled to make people think they're wasting their money. If he wants to spend $35 on a pick, why shouldn't he? I don't currently have a Blue Chip, but I have used and owned several and feel they're worth every penny. Some people don't. Everyone's opinion is different.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandobassman For This Useful Post:

Well, I ordered one. TD60. So hopefully the sublime mysteries will all become clear come Monday evening. I will report back with my findings. And maybe a pick for sale. Thanks for your thoughts and opinions on the matter.

"I'm a farmer with a mandolin and a high tenor voice."

9. The following members say thank you to jeff_75 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    The OP only asked about which BC model would match closest to the thickness and shape of the picks pictured. I don't recall him asking anyone's opinion about buying Blue Chip. I don't understand why all the Blue Chip haters feel compelled to make people think they're wasting their money. If he wants to spend $35 on a pick, why shouldn't he? I don't currently have a Blue Chip, but I have used and owned several and feel they're worth every penny. Some people don't. Everyone's opinion is different.
    I apologized for my post and told why I was offended so why not drop the bashing?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_75 View Post
    Well, I ordered one. TD60. So hopefully the sublime mysteries will all become clear come Monday evening. I will report back with my findings. And maybe a pick for sale. Thanks for your thoughts and opinions on the matter.

I see I'm too late in this thread, but for your next blue chip… you may want to consider the "1R" option which gives you two sharp points and one rounded so you have both tip profiles in one pick. My first Blue Chip was rounded bevels, then I tried the CT-55 so many were raving about. The difference was truly remarkable. For bluegrass and celtic, the speed bevel is great fluid speed IME. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
    I see I'm too late in this thread, but for your next blue chip… you may want to consider the "1R" option which gives you two sharp points and one rounded so you have both tip profiles in one pick. My first Blue Chip was rounded bevels, then I tried the CT-55 so many were raving about. The difference was truly remarkable. For bluegrass and celtic, the speed bevel is great fluid speed IME. Enjoy!
    Thanks for this. If I like the BC generally, I'm sure I will end up ordering more and trying other shapes. I've almost always used a teardrop shape for most of my mandolin playing, but recently found myself picking up the triangle Primetones more and more.

Pick arrived early! But I'm busy doing yard work. So will have to give it a trial run tonight.

Initial impression on opening envelope: $35 doesn't get me a case sticker with this sucker?

No offense intended, just a general observation.
    Last edited by KGreene; Aug-26-2018 at 8:06pm.

If I found a pick for twenty five cents and it produced the sound and feel I liked I would use it ! After trying MANY picks a BC pick is the one that produces the clear sound I like best.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_75 View Post

Initial impression on opening envelope: $35 doesn't get me a case sticker with this sucker?

Haha, almost had wine coming out of my nose with that one.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Wegens and Primetones - Good picks, each of them. I started with the former and ended with the latter. I say 'ended' because I bought at TAD-60 and the others are somewhere in the house but I haven't pulled them out since I bought the BC.

I'm no different than any one else on the forum who asked 'How could a pick cost $35?'

LOL...I own three now!

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    I would have no problem spending $35 dollars for a " quality" pick if it was 100 times as good as what I was using. Heck I probaly would if it was 3 times as good, but I won't spend $35 for a pick that I can't tell the difference from my 35 cent pick except that it will last longer. My math says I can buy 100 of the 35 cent picks before I spend the $35. That the definition of quslity? Does the emperor have cloths?
    Everyone's taste and ear are different, hence the wide array of product variations.
    Does the emperor have cloth ears..?!