Thread: Alternative tunings for your 5-string

Default Alternative tunings for your 5-string

Hi gang!

I have come to the conclusion I use my C-string much less than the other, traditional mandolin strings. Given most of the songs I play are in the keys of G, D or A, I was thinking about tuning it up to a D where it might be more frequently used in chords or as a drone.

How do you folks use your mandola string? Do any of you use alternative tunings? What are your thoughts about this?
    Thanks,
    Travis

2006 Weber Gallatin, 1984 Flatiron 2MW, Wendler #194, Schwab #177

Blog Entries

Default Re: Alternative tunings for your 5-string

Hi Travis,

I spent a lot of time thinking about these things and playing both 5 course instruments and mandolas.

I have a Weber Alder #2 with 17" scale length. I had trouble with the Cs being too heavy to be comfortable. So I tuned it EBF#C# with D'Addario J74s. After a while, I switched to DAEB using octave mandolin strings, and finally dropped it back to CGDA, but still use the octave mandolin strings. The tension and size are still comfortable and I like being a full 5th lower than mandolin.

The scale lengths of my 5 string electrics are longer than standard mandolin scale, so the C strings can have good tension without being too thick to play comfortably. I took my JBovier to 2 different luthiers before getting the intonation where I need it. The Arrow arrived set up perfectly.

If it were my mandolin, I'd get the instrument set up properly after finding the right gauges for each course. Intonating that C string make take some time and experimentation. But once you've got it, I bet you start using it more.

You've already got D on the second fret of the C string, so you can effectively play 2 octaves in that key. And with C# on the first fret, you can go a note lower than D and still be in the scale. In G, the C is a 5th lower, so you can harmonize below, and again you can manage two octaves. With A you've got a C natural for blues and an easy C# for a cool low third when improvising.

Those are my thoughts. But you should do what works for you.

Daniel

3. The following members say thank you to Daniel Nestlerode for this post:

I use DGDAE on my 5 course long scale cittern, but for 5 string electric I would stick to CGDAE - the alternative tunings are great for chording, but IMO useless for melody, and on something mandolin/dola-sized I want to be playing melody with the logic of 5ths tuning. Just my 2c...

5. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

I do not have a 5-stringed musical instrument. But the idea is yes
    Would not it be enough to put a cut capo on C string?
    Woodies G-Band Single String Partial Capo http://www.woodieshanger.com/shop/wo...-partial-capo/
    My books - books
    My videos -YouTube
    Duo UF UF - YouTube

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

G,-D-A-e-a 17" scale; G is an octave lower than mandolin. Essentially turns the instrument into a short neck electric guitar in an alternate tuning.

NH

Does anyone else use flat fifth tuning. I play eight string electric mandolin, and it would work very well for a five string. The stepwise progression makes it easier for both chords and melody. G D G D with a stepped nut. ie, Ds "nut" at the first fret. Martin

I've been playing 5 string electrics for just over three years now and love the standard CGDAE tuning. I play classical, jazz, and some popular stuff. If you can handle using tab as well standard notation, just drop down a fifth and you'll find that lower c string adds another dimension to the sound. It allows many pieces to be played in the key they were written. I enjoy the 5 string in just the way they were intended to be played. That's just my humble opinion, for what it's worth.

10. The following members say thank you to Kenny A for this post:

Guitars were originally all five string, tuned just like the modern instrument, but without the low E. It was a hundred years before someone added it. Guitar tuning is hard to beat, and a lot of "five string electrics" look more like guitars than mandolins.

For a seventeen inch scale my suggestion is : D G C E A Chord shapes that include open strings would all be the same as guitar but the sound would be a fourth higher. Martin

If I was going to change the C string on my 5 string. It would be to a G and go for a high b leaving it tuned in fifths. I have enough trouble playing without learning a different interval of tuning.
    My 5 string is 20” scale and off the top of my head I have a 74 on the C which is good for tension. But does sound quite thuddy, I don’t use it for chords. Double stops are about the limit for my taste anyway.

Blog Entries

my 5-string is usually tuned gDGBD but I often tune it to gDGCD .
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

<Geoff Muldaur's 'Minglewood' mandolin tuning >,, I forgot, (Prior post,)
    but the internet remembered it for me..

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/a.../t-118684.html

I got a reply from Geoff Muldaur recently when I asked via web,
    about the tuning he used for 'the Mingle Wood blues' .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUAgFvfoRY0 ... circa 88

He replied : low to hi, G-C-G, top of E pair is another C, 1st string still E.

[for 8 not 5 anyhow. but 5 maybe try g/c/g/c/e, as separate strings]

Last edited by mandroid; Aug-27-2018 at 4:16pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Hey Travis,

I play a lot of open tunings on the 5 string and I tend to bring at least one to my live shows. I made a video going over a few basics in the open D tuning (D,A,D,A,D) which I also tune to (C,G,C,G,C). There is a lot to explore. Hope folks find this helpful.

- Andrew Hendryx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tubTieBdBmY&t=1s

16. The following members say thank you to ahmandolin for this post: