Thread: Which recording device for music camp

Default Which recording device for music camp

I will be attending a music camp next June here in Montana and I need a better recording device than my old Olympus VN-960PC. I was looking at the Zoom H1n. I plan on recording myself, which I haven't done up till now. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Default Re: Which recording device for music camp

I've never had a lot of luck with recording devices, so I just used my phone this time -- downloaded a free app that was simple to use. so there's always a phone, in case you don't decide what to purchase as a standalone device.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Randi,
    I still own a flip phone and won't be buying a smart phone anytime soon.

I have the Tascam Dr-05, George, and it lets me record in wav format or in mp3 format and is an excellent device for capturing live sound. The various Zoom recorders get good reviews too, but I like the simplicity of the Tascam. It is easy to upload your files to computer foer editing later if you want to do more with your recordings.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

John,
    Thank you very much. I will look at the Tascam.

[QUOTE so I just used my phone this time -- downloaded a free app that was simple to use.

Randy, which app?
    Rich
    2015 Passernig A5 #76
    2016 Pava Pro A5 #197

Hi George, I have the Tascam dr07mkii, it’s since been replaced by the 22wl. The difference between mine and John’s is I could record 2 seperate tracks and the mics are able to be placed in XY positions. It’s very easy record and then connect to the computer and upload tracks.

The Dr05 is a fine recorder for music camps, etc and I would recommend that one, I don’t have any experience with them but I’m sure the Zoom equivalents are just as good. Since you don’t need it for awhile keep an eye on prices as they usually go on sale around Black Friday.

This was a good recent thread about devices...https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...tion&highlight
    Last edited by bigskygirl; Aug-19-2018 at 4:23pm. Reason: Add link
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

George, check out the threads I started on 6/25 and 7/11. My Zoom worked great for a 2 hr board meeting. However, after recording some of the music camp, I checked the device and saw a message that my SD card was full. I ended up taking some videos with my phone. Otherwise, I just made notes of anything I wanted to remember. The videos and notes worked out best for me in the end. For what it's worth, I asked for permission to record and video the instructors prior to doing so.

Can't go wrong with an H1n or H2n, or the equivellent from the other makers.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Have a Zoom H1N that I’ve used to record songs our Youth Band plays a couple of times, with good results. I think it would do well for you, just make sure you have plenty of storage and extra batteries, just in case. I seem to recall getting mine for about $35 from a Musician’s Friend “Stupid Deal” or maybe a holiday sale. Of course, the more expensive models do more, but if you’re still rocking a flip, you may not want to have to fool with that stuff. (And more power to ya! There are days I’d like to take a sledge hammer to my smart phone...)
    Chuck

Thanks everyone for all your help. Yes, I am still rocking a flip and don't want to move too far into the future.

I've used my H1n for about a year--and H1 for six years before that--to record lessons, workshops, songs, assignments. Great for vocals, acoustic guitar and mandolin and micing bass and jazz amps. Simple to use, reliable, compact, great sound. For me exactly what I've needed without any frills. It could serve as a USB mic but I prefer to record onto the device memory and then import the .mp3 tracks to my DAW (on a Mac).