Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wintergrass Headcount

Hi Ken -- are you bringing that Jethro to the tasting?

I will be at the Rigel booth again and should have some other Rigel-goodies to sample.

I am on the Steve Smith Siren tour list, and a while ago I calculated that if everything went according to plan I would have that instrument during the week of W'grass. I don't know if it's still on track or not. If I happen to have it then I will certainly make an effort to get it entered in the Tasting.

On a related topic, would anyone allow me to unroll a sleeping bag on your hotel room floor for a night or two? Send me a private message about this. I can pay $20 or so but I can't afford the going price for a bed.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

What I would like to do for the mandolin tasting is to taste instruments under $1500. So if you have a new or used, commercially or privately made mandolin that sold new for under $1500 Please contact me at kenc@wvi.com and we'll see if we have enough for a tasting. The last two years we have tasted lots of high end things, this year I'd like to got the other way. There will be one Loar in the mix, just to keep it interesting. Ken Cartwright
    Cartwright's Music & Repair Shop
    "I repair what others sell"
    Stayton, Oregon

The other direction we may look at is small builders that retail their instruments for under $2000.
    Stayton, Oregon

the old wave booth will be there thurs-sun featuring several stringed wooden toys under 2k, a nekkid mesquite fhole a topped with some of spruce's new mottled redwood, the banjojoke bass, etc, stop by for some fresh melon......happy to toss anything in the tasting ring

Bill, I'm looking forward to seeing you again. Do you make any mandolins under $2000? Ken Cartwright
    Stayton, Oregon

Mando Medic,

I'm almost afraid to suggest it, but I'd like to offer my Tacoma M3 for the tasting in Tacoma (sorry, just couldn't resist). I really like mine, but many people in the Bluegrass world just don't care for them. I'd love to finally hear for myself how it measures up (or not) against instruments of similar price range.

Thanks, Richard

Ken- my a's are still 1850 usd, still trying to decide on an advertising slogan:
    'inexpensive and built to stay that way'
    'none of our mandos suck'
    'when 'good enough' costs more than a mexican liver transplant'

I cant make it till Friday to Wintergrass but some really good friends of mine will be there Thursday and will bring my A style mandolin (most recent creation). If I can get it into mandotasting great if not just play the Cr*p outa it for me so it opens up more...it has about 2 hours playing from a local session on it.
    Keith Newell
    http://home.comcast.net/~mandolinkgn...ome.html-.html

I will be there all four days. I would like to hook up with folks to do some pickin. I will also have all of my fossil walrus ivory bridges, picks, and other parts as well as one of my flamed redwood top F mandolin and a new flight case prototype if anyone is intereted. you can email me at kurt@huskyacoustics.com or call on my cel 907-841-7011 if you want to get together and pick at the festival or see any of my products for sale. Hope to see you all there.

I'll be going, my 9th year now. Wouldnt miss it, (Well ok,I missed the first one)
    Greg G

Blog Entries

With Ken not coming and no Mandotasting, where's the party?

We can have a little mando-tasting at my place...

Or maybe we can get the same room that the mando-tasting has been for the past couple years and have our own?

I know of at least 3 Loars that will be floating around and a lot of good new mandolins, so it should be a hoot...

Well, I e-mailed Ken to ask him whom at Wintergrass to contact about the room.

If that doesn't pan out, let's do Spruce's place, or the Rigel booth (we can "taste" 7 or 8 Rigels).
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

We should just take over the hallway in front of the ballroom...

I am bringing a new Hughes, a CE Ward and a Coleson, and my roomie G. Fisher will probably be armed with his usual, formidable arsenal of Brentrups, Laplants and Smith Creeks.

Mebbe we get the resident HRD, Chef and Tonemeister Scott T. to play all of our mandos...?

How many Kansans going? Anyone want to earn a little bit of money?

Blog Entries

Ken just called and the MandoTasting is back on!

Startin to get a little antzy here, Wintergrass starts tomorrow! Just put on the J74's for the tasting but I hate em. Maybe when they die down some they'll sound better. The FT74's sound way better on my mando to me and Im so used to the ease of my pick sliding over em it's gonna take some getting used too just to play like normal now. I'll see ya folks there!
    Jeff
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

Default Re: Wintergrass Headcount

New to the cafe. I’m going!

Default Re: Wintergrass Headcount

Quote Originally Posted by hickeymad View Post
    New to the cafe. I’m going!
    Welcome! You realize this thread was about a get together 15 years ago - I don't know if there is anything cafe-specific for Wintergrass 2020. We had a similar mando tasting that Martin put together a few years ago at Wintergrass.