Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bose S1 Pro rechargable amp, backpack unit. Love it!

Default Bose S1 Pro rechargable amp, backpack unit. Love it!

found this lately, its wonderful. Lots of my guitar friends who do coffee house/weddings, are employing these lately.

15lbs, has a rechargeable battery that lasts approx. 11 hrs(when introduced the battery lasted approx. 5 hrs, they have evidently updated the battery of late).
    very clear sound. can be put on a stand, stood straight up, tilted back, or laid on side like a moniter-the electronics in the unit adjusts EQ for best sound, based on the position you place it(explained in videos on the unit).

backpack also by Bose. Amp/PA fits perfect. top section unzips for quite a bit of storage(cables, pedals, etc). bag is heavy duty built. Amp has a top handle. feels extremely light in weight.

2 channels , each with a selector switch for off/guitar/mic. can be used with Bluetooth, and a line out for direct link to another PA system.
    you walk up, pull Bose out of the bag, plug in the instrument(or mic), and play. you don't need any power outlet!
    if you have a second unit there is a line out for cable connection. (I may be interpreting this next sentence incorrect) two units can also connect wireless. there is a USB port for upgrades and service.
    couple of things have changed since some of the videos were posted. price for the unit is $599, that includes the now longer performance rechargeable battery. backpack is $149, pricey, but it works great and fits perfect. the back of the pack is well made like a high end performance backpack, with dense padding that helps make the carrying more "weightless in feel". hope that makes sense.
    the stained glass piece is for a friend, wanted something for a kitchen renovation(lots of stainless), so I'm finishing that off-need to frame it in zinc in the next day or so-may age the solder and frame to a nickel patina and lose the silver brilliance-haven't decided yet.
    here's a link explaining the unit:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K_i0OQuDUg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNTNWR50u7A&t=366s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnmg66n_jVE&t=4s

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_20180814_160150_resized.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	163.8 KB 
ID:	170241

Name:	thumbnail_20180814_160209_resized.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	170242

Name:	thumbnail_20180814_160250_resized.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	170243

Name:	thumbnail_20180814_160317_resized.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	170244

Name:	thumbnail_20180709_121804_resized.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	189.4 KB 
ID:	170245

Name:	thumbnail_20180814_160422_resized.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	170246

Name:	thumbnail_20180814_160505_resized.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	170247

Name:	thumbnail_20180814_160422_resized.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	170246

Name:	thumbnail_20180814_160513_resized.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	221.9 KB 
ID:	170248
    Last edited by darylcrisp; Aug-14-2018 at 10:28pm.

2. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bose S1 Pro rechargable amp, backpack unit. Love it!

Nice package and I like Bose sound. Neither the web page nor the user manual offers the info I hoped for---what is the speaker size/configuration and what is the power of the amp?
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    Nice package and I like Bose sound. Neither the web page nor the user manual offers the info I hoped for---what is the speaker size/configuration and what is the power of the amp?
    Sweetwater sez:

Speaker Drivers: 1 x 6" LF High Excursion woofer, 3 x 2.25" HF drivers

Tom's Wright. Nowhere do they seem to mention the wattage.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    Tom's Wright. Nowhere do they seem to mention the wattage.
    It seems to be part of a disturbing trend where objective technical data is now deemed 'irrelevant'. I can (partly) get this, as in many cases consumers do misunderstand the relevance of many of these 'numbers', but even so, omitting it altogether from a 'specs' chart seems to be taking it a bit far!
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Reminds me of bicycle weights.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    Reminds me of bicycle weights.
    Yea, in the bike shop Q1 is cost, Q2 what's it weigh ?

But a transformerless switching power supply
    Or just all DC circuits, and a wall wart rectifier/voltage limiter in the cord,
    and amp weights can be lower too...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I think the general consensus is around 40 watts, but that 40 Bose watts sounds "bigger" than 40 Peavey watts.....
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

The fact that it's a Bose notwithstanding, I'm a little skeptical. It bothers me that the specs don't seem to be available.
    David Hopkins

McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Blog Entries

Here's what I carry for my upright bass when playing with a large and/or mixed-level group... It could also be used with a mic.

Name:	Bass Cube Daypack - closed.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	170803Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bass Cube Daypack - ready.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	964.9 KB 
ID:	170804Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roland Cube Bass RX front.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	280.9 KB 
ID:	170805

Nice that the Bose has dual input/channel support. And for wattage, I think mine is total 5w, running on 6 AA batteries (or with the included power supply). But from a sound standpoint, it will fill a good size room.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Last edited by Tim Griffin; Sep-04-2018 at 5:57pm. Reason: Tried to delete

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    It seems to be part of a disturbing trend where objective technical data is now deemed 'irrelevant'. I can (partly) get this, as in many cases consumers do misunderstand the relevance of many of these 'numbers', but even so, omitting it altogether from a 'specs' chart seems to be taking it a bit far!

Bose has always operated this way. I called them once and they wouldn’t give me an impedance of one of their speakers.

14. The following members say thank you to Tim Griffin for this post:

I s'pose Bose is a reputable company but I can't help but think they're trying to deceive the public.
    David Hopkins

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Griffin View Post
    Bose has always operated this way. I called them once and they wouldn’t give me an impedance of one of their speakers.
    That's bad.

Really bad.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Yes, certainly bad - personally, I've always found Bose equipment somewhat peculiar in that respect.

Conversely (and I don't know whether this is still the case) I've always found their equipment relatively bomb proof. We used to hire their 802 speakers on a regular basis and on asking the hire company what they did with their old hire stock; with a view to buying a couple of pairs, they responded that Bose gear was so reliable that when they got rid of a pair they simply threw them away as they were completely worn out.

The only thinge we ever managed to break was one of their bass bins and that was when we managed to trap the thing with an elevating stage/orchestra pit!

Bose operates a little like Apple in in their sometimes secretive proprietary manners. Fro example ever try to back up jpegs off a Mac book without using their software? On a PC I can just do a search for jpegs and drag them to a USB drive. As a side note perhaps someone can tell me how to easily archive mt photos without using iPhoto or whatever. I've asked at the "Genius Bar" ...no easy solution,

But I digress..."soundpeople" love to sh*t on Bose for whatever reasons...maybe it is Bose secretive nature but the products I use all sound and work great. I've been using (1) Bose L1 Model 1S with B2 Bass Module for an entire acoustic band (bass player brings an amp) and the vocals and instruments have never been more articulate. So much so it can be startling when you first hear yourself that clearly.

There is plenty of good equipment out there besides Bose but much of it is more cumbersome. If a Bose system works for someone why rain on their parade?

I have a tweed amp for sale...if it sells I may replace my Fishman Loudbox mini with a Bose S1 Pro fro my personal mando/guitar amp.

Can the battery be removed to save even more weight when using regular power supply?

Are you putting a mandolin through this? If so how does it sound compare to other units you have used?

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    Bose operates a little like Apple in in their sometimes secretive proprietary manners. Fro example ever try to back up jpegs off a Mac book without using their software? On a PC I can just do a search for jpegs and drag them to a USB drive. As a side note perhaps someone can tell me how to easily archive mt photos without using iPhoto or whatever. I've asked at the "Genius Bar" ...no easy solution,

But I digress..."soundpeople" love to sh*t on Bose for whatever reasons...maybe it is Bose secretive nature but the products I use all sound and work great. I've been using (1) Bose L1 Model 1S with B2 Bass Module for an entire acoustic band (bass player brings an amp) and the vocals and instruments have never been more articulate. So much so it can be startling when you first hear yourself that clearly.

There is plenty of good equipment out there besides Bose but much of it is more cumbersome. If a Bose system works for someone why rain on their parade?

I have a tweed amp for sale...if it sells I may replace my Fishman Loudbox mini with a Bose S1 Pro fro my personal mando/guitar amp.

Can the battery be removed to save even more weight when using regular power supply?
    That's all well and good but something as simple as wattage/output can be important. If I buy something like this, especially at Bose prices, I want to know it's suitable.

Incidentally, I've never bought an Apple product because so much of their products are proprietary. They have their own charge plugs for their phones; you couldn't just download an .mp3 into their iPods, etc.
    David Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    That's all well and good but something as simple as wattage/output can be important. If I buy something like this, especially at Bose prices, I want to know it's suitable.

Incidentally, I've never bought an Apple product because so much of their products are proprietary. They have their own charge plugs for their phones; you couldn't just download an .mp3 into their iPods, etc.
    Bose sells product based on audience size; you either drink their kool-aid or don't

Bose sells product based on audience size; you either drink their kool-aid or don't
    Yes. It’s a weird company and unusual stuff. If you ever take their gear apart it’s obvious how cheaply it’s made yet they charge a premium. It strange to me that they never put tweeters in their speakers. The 201, 301, 501, 601, 901, 802 all used 2.5” midrange or larger. For some reason beyond me people think it’s good stuff.

In my 7+ decades, I can only remember owning one Bose item. Well, two. I had a pair of the famous (or perhaps now, infamous) 901 speakers. I must have been about 20 at the time. I left them at home when I joined the Air Force and I have no idea what happened to them. I thought they sounded pretty good but I also thought Taco Bell was the phone company in Mexico City. What do I know?
    David Hopkins

Are you putting a mandolin through this? If so how does it sound compare to other units you have used?
    so far just using a mic for mandolin, sounds very clear and strong, true to how the mandolin sounds acoustically, just louder.

not sure as I haven't tried this, I'm busy with my job all week, but this weekend I will remove it and see if it works just plugged in-will leave a reply here on what I find out.

Blog Entries

Bose operates a little like Apple in in their sometimes secretive proprietary manners. Fro example ever try to back up jpegs off a Mac book without using their software? On a PC I can just do a search for jpegs and drag them to a USB drive. As a side note perhaps someone can tell me how to easily archive mt photos without using iPhoto or whatever. I've asked at the "Genius Bar" ...no easy solution
    Without digressing.... this is easy. No problem at all. I do it every day. I'll PM you.

Bose do make some interesting stuff, and it does tend to "just work"... um... anyway, that is fine in many situations but if you need to repair it or use it in more unusual situations the lack of technical data can be a bit of an issue. Bottom line: if it work for you, then enjoy it, as they make some nice sounding systems with (definitely) unique features.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

27. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

I remember decades ago, Duffy at Brighton Sound here in Rochester said of Bose, "They use a bunch of cheap speakers and EQ the [poop] out of them; the whole secret's in the EQ circuits." As a non-expert, I deferred to his wisdom.

I do like their Wave radio, though. I bought one 20 years ago, and got Bose promos in the mail for 15 years afterwards.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM