Thread: Something is missing!

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Default Something is missing!

So first off, many thanks to those of you who offered your help in my other recent thread about Broadening my Scope... I played a small event at the church this morning and it was great. 1 Acoustic Guitarist/Vocalist, a second Acoustic Guitarist and myself played a 5 song set for a group of about 25-30 people and it went really really well... so many thanks to you all for your encouragement and guidance. I got a lot of compliments!

Here's the point of this thread... So the plan for today after playing the event at the church waS for me to meet the family and spend the day on the lake in a friend's boat. In the interest of not leaving my mando in the hot car all day or carrying it out into the middle of the lake, I opted to leave it at the church in my office (if you didn't know, I work at the church) with the intent of picking it up on the way home. As any of you who have or have had small kids know, when a big day is over, its best to just get them home, get them fed and get them to bed. So when I told wifey I was going to stop by the church and pick up my instrument, she said "Just get it tomorrow... I think you can go one night with out it....... "

Outside, my mouth said "Yea, sure, thats cool..." Inside I'm thinking "um... no... No... NO ... NOOOOOOOO!!!!!" There is no reasonable explanation for it.... Even though I'm pretty sure no one would, I just fear someone would mess with it,... even though theres virtually NO ONE there.

Its really weird to feel like something is missing like this,... I take my mando with me to work EVERY day and really always have it with me,... its weird...

Am I the only one?
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Default Re: Something is missing!

That’s a great story and nope... you’re not the only one. I take my mandolin on business trips and family vacations LOL. Congrats on the successful gig this morning, that’s inspiring for those of us still getting up the nerve! Thanks for sharing.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

I leave one on it’s stand, on stage, every day. Redi for Thursday night practices and Sunday morning worship. Another member of the worship team used it on a song one week when I was off on a mission trip. But I do have 3 more at home to play/practice with.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I had two guitars stolen in similar situations. Yes, I wrote two (2), and I guess that makes me a bit stupid or something, but it happened.

The first was an Ovation. I used it often as an officer of the church, and I'd left it in my office as I'd often done. It went missing, along with the lawnmower used for church grounds and parsonage, and a bicycle from the parsonage. Also missing was a young man who'd been hired about eight months earlier as a custodian. This happened about 35 years ago in Breaux Bridge, La.

Fast forward a few years, I'm on staff at a church in a suburb of Dallas. I'd left my Takamine (bought to replace the Ovation) on a stand behind the pulpit in front of the choir loft. My aunt had called and asked me to come to Louisiana to do my cousin's funeral, and I flew out of Dallas early Monday morning. In mid flight, I remembered having left my guitar in the church, and memories of what happened to the Ovation began to trouble me, so when I landed in Baton Rouge, I called another staff member and asked him to retrieve my guitar. He did that for me - and then his truck was stolen, with my guitar locked into the camper shell on his truck!

I actually thought that maybe I wasn't supposed to be playing anymore ... and anyway, I had a young family and not much money ... so I went for about three years after that without a guitar!

Since that time I've wised up a bit. Don't let your musical instruments get too far out of your hands.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

===========

I am VERY fortunate that my little rehearsal room is in the same building where I work, so it is easy for me to always have instruments at home, and instruments at work.

Fortunately, as the Facilities Manager (in charge of building security), I'm much less concerned about it being stolen, more just concerned about it being messed with,... and I'm certain it wouldn't really get messed with or messed up,... I guess I just don't like it being so out of touch. It kinda feels like a piece is missing, if only for the night.
    Silverangel Econo A #429

Imagine what it would be like to be the concertmaster of a major symphony. Most of them have been loaned or gifted magnificent violins that make a Loar seem like chump change. The concertmaster uses it.

Ive been fortunate to spend some time with some of these folks, and they don't ever leave their violins anywhere. Never in hotel rooms. Think what it would be like to walk around with a million bucks in a suitcase.

Can you say beater?
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

===========

I seem to recall that several years ago Yo-Yo Ma left his $2.5 million Stradivarius cello in a cab.

Talk about freaking out!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    I seem to recall that several years ago Yo-Yo Ma left his $2.5 million Stradivarius cello in a cab.

Talk about freaking out!
    Didn’t B. B. King do the same with “Lucille”? Left her in a cab.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Riley View Post
    Didn’t B. B. King do the same with “Lucille”? Left her in a cab.
    BB said he once left his guitar in a burning juke joint and ran back in to get it. I can't even imagine that kind of devotion to an instrument. He named his guitar "Lucille" to remind himself how dumb that was.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

11. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    BB said he once left his guitar in a burning juke joint and ran back in to get it. I can't even imagine that kind of devotion to an instrument. He named his guitar "Lucille" to remind himself how dumb that was.
    Named his guitar "Lucille" because that was the name of the woman two men were fighting over when they knocked over the kerosene bottle used to heat the joint.

I don't know if he left a guitar is a cab, but one was stolen in Las Vegas, bought from a pawn shop, and recovered soon thereafter.

13. The following members say thank you to StuartE for this post:

There was an old-timers bar where we used to go and see country music. They had an elevated stage and even though the music was only on the weekends, the guys left their guitars, amps, and drums on stage all week, ready for the next weekend. The bar, of course, was open all week. People knew not to mess with the instruments, but the only "security" was if the bartender happened to look up and said, "Hey, don't mess with that stuff!" I thought it was odd, but sort of makes sense. Don't know if that applies in this case -- bar/church???

Soliver, you need to teach your wife to play the mandolin so there are two in the house ... just a thought...
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

16. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

If you're going to leave an instrument unattended somewhere, you should take up the banjo and you'll likely end up with a whole collection!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ray(T) For This Useful Post:

The only one? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by StuartE View Post
    Named his guitar "Lucille" because that was the name of the woman two men were fighting over when they knocked over the kerosene bottle used to heat the joint.

I don't know if he left a guitar is a cab, but one was stolen in Las Vegas, bought from a pawn shop, and recovered soon thereafter.

https://youtu.be/EGsvAMRFivo
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Hm. You take your mando to work every day. To make everyone's life easier and protect it from hot car damage, you're leaving it at work. So it'll already be there when you show up tomorrow. So what's the problem? Will an itinerant seminarian steal it? Or do you just need to cuddle with it, Hendrix-style?

(If I called my wife Wifey, it would be ex-wifey before I knew what hit me!)

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Not all wives are offended by “Wifey”. Is “Hubby” offensive?

23. The following members say thank you to BrianWilliam for this post:

Glad your set went so well! And of course you are far from alone. I sometimes take a mandolin or guitar on vacation, took one with me all the way to China right now as I'm here for a month working. When I don't, I often fall asleep thinking about the practice I didn't get in...

25. The following members say thank you to Mark Miller for this post:

My Mandolin-less induced psychosis is over... picked it up after service today brought it home to cuddle with at bedtime.

And I'll take it back there tomorrow.

Love is not always logical,... just ask wifey.
    Silverangel Econo A #429

I'm not offended by "Wifey," if it comes from my hubby. Anyone else, and that's another matter. And yes, I'm out of sorts if the mandolin is not home with me at night. And the hubby.

28. The following members say thank you to LA Mando for this post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LA Mando View Post
    I'm out of sorts if the mandolin is not home with me at night.
    Me too!

30. The following members say thank you to BrianWilliam for this post: