Thread: Wanting Guitar/Mandolin Duet Charts

Default Wanting Guitar/Mandolin Duet Charts

Hello All,
    After the purchase of a wonderful instrument (Amateur review in the near future) my interest and desire to learn has been hightened. (Who said MAS is all bad!?!?)
    With this being said I am keenly interested in all types of music. Simple and a little more complex fiddle tunes have been occupying the last parts of most days lately. I also have great interest in learning a classical piece or two that wouldn’t be much more difficult than “Fisher’s Hornpipe”, to begin with. I have a friend who is quite proficient on Guitar, and on violin/fiddle. We have played a few tunes together in the past, and greatly enjoyed doing so.
    Does anyone know of any open source classical pieces that would be a good starting point? Please provide links to sites if known.
    I know from experience that I greatly benefit from hearing a piece before starting to work on it. I can then also go back to it as I am working on it to make sure I get certain passages correct. If there are any links to videos of the pieces available it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks so much in advance!
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

Default Re: Wanting Guitar/Mandolin Duet Charts

It's rather Italian than strictly classical, but it seems like good place to start: Come back to Sorrento
    You can find the song arranged for piano here: http://www.free-scores.com/sheetmusic?p=apdwrnBdPh#
    Just play the piano players right hand on your mandolin. In places where there are octaves, just play the lower note.
    Your guitar playing friend can pick the chords, either in a simple 1(bassnote)-2-3 (treble notes) way like it's notated for the piano player's right hand, or he can play the 3/4 in eighth notes, the way this guy does:

On the mandolin, you can practice yout tremolo skills by playing the longer notes in tremolo.

Default Re: Wanting Guitar/Mandolin Duet Charts

That sounds really nice! Thanks so much. That does seem like a good stating point. I do need to work on my tremelo skills too. It should help.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!