Thread: Vintage Supertone

Default Vintage Supertone

Does antbody know anything about this one? Is it a good buy? I assume it's solid wood. Nice looker.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/In...al-Mandolin.gc
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Default Re: Vintage Supertone

It would be solid wood, it was made by Harmony and I'm betting the finish isn't original. There are catalog pages in the Vintage ad social group that show this body shape although those pictures might have f holes. As for the price, it's worth what you're willing to pay for it.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Found it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3403.jpg 
Views:	685 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	170725  
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

When you add in shipping I think that price is a bit much, especially with no commentary on playability, past owners, storage condition, etc that you get at other sites (such as the Cafe). It does say it has a crack repair which is another red flag. They do price drops from time to time though so worth keeping an eye on.

Does anyone know if they'll negotiate?
    We are the music makers,

There was one on ebay as recently as a few days ago. I don't recall if any bids, but under $150. There was also on of the f- hole models , again I don't remember if any bids, but under $150.

I just tried to find them, with no luck. I don't remember my original search parameters. Probably found them through one of ebay's related searches suggestions.

The Supertone parlor guitars seem to bring more money than the mandolins, especially the fancier models.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

I cannot visit the site due to some regulation based on my location. Can you post a photo? In the late 1930s the mandolins were matched by a guitar finished in the same way. This is from the Harmony Database:

http://harmony.demont.net/catalogs/Sears/1937_01.jpg

http://harmony.demont.net/catalogs/Sears/1938_01.jpg

Many retailers did this at the time. Of course as I cannot see your mandolin, it might be earlier than the late 30s.

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    I cannot visit the site due to some regulation based on my location. Can you post a photo? In the late 1930s the mandolins were matched by a guitar finished in the same way. This is from the Harmony Database:

http://harmony.demont.net/catalogs/Sears/1937_01.jpg

http://harmony.demont.net/catalogs/Sears/1938_01.jpg

Many retailers did this at the time. Of course as I cannot see your mandolin, it might be earlier than the late 30s.
    Here's a pic...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canvas.png 
Views:	153 
Size:	256.2 KB 
ID:	170742
    We are the music makers,

10. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

NickR 

Roger, I went via Google and found that photo but it directed me back to Guitar Center and the same problem- the thumbnail would not open, so it's good to see a bigger photo.

It's the mandolin that is third to the right in the posting made by Mike Edgerton. You cannot see it but the headstock decal states Patrician. This is the name Harmony gave to a series of all mahogany guitars beginning with the press arched round sound hole H1275 made in 1935/36. Indeed, there was a Supertone version that had a pearlette headstock cover and matching guard. This was the Supertone 265- so this is the mandolin equivalent.You can find a Patrician mandolin or two via Google- one at Worthpoint. There is a Supertone 265 shown in the collection of the late Francois Demont at the Harmony Database -fourth row down:

http://harmony.demont.net/myguitars.php

Obviously, at $20 retail this was a reasonable instrument- of course, the mail order Supertone would have been less expensive. I have an all mahogany mandolin from this era which I believe is from Harmony and it sounds great. I don't know what the one you are interested in retails for but if it is in good order it should be a reasonable instrument.

Finally, the Vogue mandolin- on the left of Mike Edgerton's post. Obviously, it is an f hole version and less expensive, but here is Jake Wildwood's article on one- sold as a Supertone.

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...-mandolin.html
    Last edited by NickR; Sep-03-2018 at 6:28am. Reason: Extra link

I've never seen a Harmony from that era that was that shiny. Every catalog page shows that thing with darker finish. Anything's possible I guess. The GC price is $299.00. This mandolin doesn't have any marking on the headstock that I can see but that is not surprising. The bigger questions would be what is the date code inside and how are they identifying this as a Supertone. I don't see any labels inside that seem to be visible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HarmonyFront.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	170743   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HarmonyBack.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	170744  
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

This link may go weird on you but it is a whole load of photos of the Patrician Mandolin:

http://s1110.photobucket.com/user/Ga...?sort=2&page=1

That would be what I would expect one to look like and you'll note that appears to be a water slide decal on the headstock.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Here is a very shiny Patrician tenor guitar posted by Mandobar on this site a while back. It is very shiny! I have the Valencia six string version and that is very shiny, too!Attachment 170745

This Supertone 265- which as I mentioned above was probably partnered by this Supertone mandolin was for sale on ebay about four years ago. The seller wanted about $500 for it-so it took a while to sell. The Harmony branded versions were the Valencia- birch and Patrician- mahogany which is what I think the 265 is probably made of although there may have been a birch Supertone variant.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download supertone 265.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	170746

One final observation- and it is true of this Supertone mandolin. It seems to me that just about every Harmony mandolin I have seen- and it may be all in this era, each one only has three screws holding the tuner strip- and there are only three holes. The same tuners from other makers at the same time have five holes and screws. I suppose with Harmony's prodigious output, this was a massive saving in screws and time and money as well!
    Last edited by NickR; Sep-03-2018 at 7:13am. Reason: Extra info added:

I'm pretty sure that wasn't that shiny in the beginning (I don't think they bothered to take the time to buff them). This mandolin almost looks like it has a poly finish.

Harmony was a low end builder and I'm sure they figured out ways to save money back then that would be impressive today. Keep in mind that they may have got the tuners cheaper as well as the manufacturer only needed to bore three holes.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Yes, I'm sure they saved a penny or two per tuner by having less holes drilled! It all adds up with the huge volume the company constructed- probably the biggest maker in the world at that time. I think I have seen Supertone ads where "hand-rubbed finish" is mentioned. It was clearly not the case with the very low cost $3.45 mandolins that you can see advertised but a $10 plus mandolin may have had quite a good finish. That 1935 example that Jake Wildwood worked on that I posted above looks quite reasonable.

===========

Probably a pretty decent piece - but, Andy is right . . . a good $100 over-priced.

From my experience unless there is a label inside- and there may be in this mandolin, Supertone instruments have lost their decal and sellers on ebay are selling them as something or other- erring on the side of opulence. Anyway, this is a 1939 ad currently on ebay- from Dixon which is a name I do not know. All these are Harmony mandolins- the one on the right is a Monterey and I have one- sold as an S S Stewart which despite being beaten up plays well, sounds good and is all original apart from the tailpiece and cost $55 including the case. I don't think the price for this one- assuming it is all original and plays well is too much- it is a retail sale and that gives some recourse to the buyer. It is a fairly good mandolin from Harmony. Of course you can buy a sub-$100 instrument on ebay but it may turn out to be unplayable.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (2) Dixon mandolins.jpg 
Views:	630 
Size:	465.4 KB 
ID:	170759 Anyone need a Big-shot guitar!

Thanks all for the education. I like the little fella, but agree that it's about $100 too much. I think I'll just bookmark it for now, and check back on it in December. If it's still there then, maybe they'll listen to lower offers.
    We are the music makers,