Thread: 1916 Pumpkin Top A1

Default 1916 Pumpkin Top A1

I brought home a 1916 Gibson A1 pumpkin top from Fiddler's Green in Austin this weekend. It's far from the fanciest mandolin, but it may be the sweetest, most playable mandolin I've ever owned or played. It's seen a lot of playing in its life, and I love it. I've attached a few pictures from Fiddler's Green's website below.

The main reason for this post is to share my happiness at acquiring a really exquisite old mandolin. A secondary purpose is to ask whether y'all would recommend using light strings on an instrument of this age. It frets and plays so easily that I suspect that's what is on there now. Assuming so, I'd like to stick with what's working.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pumpkintop.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	170050

Name:	PT2.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	170051

Name:	PT3.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	170052

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joe Dodson For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 1916 Pumpkin Top A1

Nice Mandolin! I have a 1917 A-3 and I use Martin M400's .010 -.034 or D'Addario EJ73 .010-.038. Both sets are phosphor bronze wound. They have plenty of punch for a 100 year old instrument.
    1917 Gibson A-3, '64 Martin A, 2016 Rhodes F5R.

4. The following members say thank you to Zigeuner for this post:

Thanks Zeiguner. Very helpful. I've always used mediums, and I've always found mandolins pretty difficult to fret compared with guitars. This might wind up being kind of a game changer for me.

6. The following members say thank you to Joe Dodson for this post:

You are welcome.

I really think that lighter strings are the best for these old mandolins. I got mine in 1982 or so and I've always used the lighter strings on it. The neck is still very straight too.

These have a mahogany stringer in the center of the neck partly for decoration and partly for strength and it must work because the several I've seen and played all had good necks and sounded good, too!

Enjoy your mandolin!
    Last edited by Zigeuner; Aug-06-2018 at 1:56pm.
    1917 Gibson A-3, '64 Martin A, 2016 Rhodes F5R.

I use lights on my ‘17 as a precaution. They play and sound nice.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spufman For This Useful Post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I've had j-74 or equals on my 1920 paddlehead A3 for the last 33 years. The exception is a four or five year period when I used Thomastik heavies, which are smaller diameter than '74s. Not sure about the string tension; however as they are flatwound.

I've never had problem with the neck of my A3, but for when I got it I paid John Schofield to straighten it out and refret it. It's been stable since.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

11. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

I use 11-40 on my '22, have for, well a long long time. No problems, neck is flat and plays easy. Sounds great.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

13. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Lovely mandolin. You might want to check with Fiddler's Green and see if they know what was on there so there's no question ... my '23 uses eJ74s, but it also has a truss rod, so it's not as comparable as you'd think.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

15. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

Teacher, repair person

The maximum I would put on these old Gibsons is 11-15-25-40. I usually use 10 1/2-14-24- 38 or 40.

There are those who would say that these old mandolins can handle the heavy gauge strings that are gaining popularity. They apparently have not had to repair as many warped necks or deformed tops as I have.

Invariably, when one of these mandolins comes in with a warped neck, I will measure the strings and find it has been strung with 11-16-26-41 or heavier.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I've had many dozens of these mandolins come across my workbench.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    The maximum I would put on these old Gibsons is 11-15-25-40. I usually use 10 1/2-14-24- 38 or 40.

There are those who would say that these old mandolins can handle the heavy gauge strings that are gaining popularity. They apparently have not had to repair as many warped necks or deformed tops as I have.

Invariably, when one of these mandolins comes in with a warped neck, I will measure the strings and find it has been strung with 11-16-26-41 or heavier.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I've had many dozens of these mandolins come across my workbench.
    Thanks. I don't have your experience, but that's what my instinct says too. Not only that, but the strings on there now are a pleasure to play, with plenty of volume. As someone suggested, I'll check with the shop to see if they know what's on there now.

I like it that the teens A-1 models have a bound fretboard and pear inlay on headstock. Pumpkin top A-1 was my very first mandolin(about 25 years ago).
    Have used medium strings for many years on it without deleterious effects.

Always thought my A-1 was a 1913;but,I thought my snakehead was a 1923(now I'm told it is a 1925); just ordered Spann's Guide to help me date some older mandos.

When I got my A Jr. just automatically put lights on it. And it sounds excellent that way. Same with my 1910 A. Both seem to have a good volume and tone with the light strings. They could probably handle medium strings. But I like them the way they are right now. Although I do have some sets of medium gauge if I want to experiment.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I played your mandolin a couple of times at Fiddler's and it is very nice. Good purchase. I would have been tempted if I didn't have my 1920 A-2. J-74's work fine...lately I have been trying flatwounds (10), which are nice. When in doubt, just ask Ben at Fidders.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

I just pulled the trigger on a 1913 A-1 that Gryphon had at a price I couldn't resist. I'm 20 minutes away, and can't pick it up until Tuesday. Darn holiday. Anyway, didn't want someone to buy it tomorrow.

I was modest in my hopes, but really wanted Gibson on the headstock. Mine is very clean. I haven't played a teens Gibson I didn't like.

I guess places like Fiddler's Green and Gryphon have estate instruments walk in every day. I asked Frank Ford how they get all their great used instruments. He replied they unlock the doors six days a week.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. E View Post
    I played your mandolin a couple of times at Fiddler's and it is very nice. Good purchase. I would have been tempted if I didn't have my 1920 A-2. J-74's work fine...lately I have been trying flatwounds (10), which are nice. When in doubt, just ask Ben at Fidders.
    When I bought my 1917 it came with flatwounds on it. Really like them. I have tried several other strings but I'm probably going to go back to flatwounds.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

That’s a nice punkin’ right there!
    Living’ in the Mitten

===========

Sweeeeet - I am jealous. Enjoy!