Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My mandolin got eaten by a Stratocaster.

Default Re: My mandolin got eaten by a Stratocaster.

Party on dude!

Americana in France? Daniel Nestlerode's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    My fling with the Strat/Marshall set-up was fairly short-lived. I think it was a semi-midlife meltdown thing for me. I'm back to my books, acoustic guitar and mandolin: but my 18-year-old son loves the Strat, so I'm glad I got it.
    See?
    You shoulda grabbed a 4 or 5 string emando. You'd still be playing it.

Daniel

3. The following members say thank you to Daniel Nestlerode for this post:

Blog Entries

Ok, you talked me into it.
    Did you hold on on to the Marshall, Caleb? Looks like it is in great shape! Let me know if you want to sell it one day! So your son loves that Strat! Good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    Did you hold on on to the Marshall, Caleb? Looks like it is in great shape! Let me know if you want to sell it one day! So your son loves that Strat! Good for him.
    Yes, I held on to the Marshall. It was exactly the model I was looking for and it's a keeper. I'm not a tube purist and was quite taken by the Valvestates back in the early 2000s when I was heavily into electric guitar. I never got one then because I had a wonderful little Vintage Club blonde amp by Crate (sold off when the acoustic thing got hold of me). My son loves to get the Marshall out and play through it. I think I paid a guy $200 for it via my local CL.
    "If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we should find in each man's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility." -Longfellow

Blog Entries

Yes, I held on to the Marshall. It was exactly the model I was looking for and it's a keeper. I'm not a tube purist and was quite taken by the Valvestates back in the early 2000s when I was heavily into electric guitar. I never got one then because I had a wonderful little Vintage Club blonde amp by Crate (sold off when the acoustic thing got hold of me). My son loves to get the Marshall out and play through it. I think I paid a guy $200 for it via my local CL.
    Caleb, I too had a Vintage Club blonde -- mine was the 20 watt version. So Valvestate-- I haven't played through one of those before but I am aware of the preamp tube/solid state combination nature of it. I will check one out sometime!

7. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Caleb 

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    Caleb, I too had a Vintage Club blonde -- mine was the 20 watt version. So Valvestate-- I haven't played through one of those before but I am aware of the preamp tube/solid state combination nature of it. I will check one out sometime!
    Wow, cool coincidence there with the Crate, Dan! I think mine was only 10 watts but it was insanely powerful and loud since it was all-tube. The downside is that it was one channel, but I used a compressor pedal and a tube screamer (and some reverb) with it, and I could easily just dial back the volume on my Strat to get cleaner tones. But when I dialed it back up I'd get the coolest bluesy tones. It was a lot of fun and it was part of a wonderful musical season of life for me that I sometimes miss. But that's mostly about the people I was playing with and not the gear. Another thread there!

Again, I'm not tube purist or any kind of amp purist, but I love the sound of the Valvestate. It reacts to touch and feel like a real tube amp, and long before all the technology got so crazy and realistic. If you can find one from the late 90s/early 2000s, do grab it up. You can get them for a song, and they were made in the old English Marshall factory; and, if taken care of, will probably last a good lifetime.
    "If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we should find in each man's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility." -Longfellow

9. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Some Ability - No Talent MikeZito's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For the past 9 months my mandolins seemed to have vanished behind this dizzying array of electric mayhem . . . but this past weekend I somehow managed to break though this fortress of amplification and find my beloved Kentucky KM272 quietly and patiently waiting for my return.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EM.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	176371
    I recently finished a new homemade 4-song EP of original solo acoustic songs; (sorry, no mandolin content this time). If you are interested in a FREE copy, feel free to send me your address via Private Message, and I will be glad to send you one. Trust me, it will be worth the price!

Mike Zito YouTube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO-...ow=grid&view=0

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeZito For This Useful Post:

Strat has not been picked up since getting this EM200 from our Classifieds last week. Also putting in a good word for the fantastic Vox AC30 as tube amp of choice for this household.

Name:	ma19108-web-3-43beacd9.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	176375

13. The following members say thank you to Michael H Geimer for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    I played a buddy's electric bass at a jam Friday night, and guess what, yesterday found myself at the local music shop forking over for a bass and bass amp. Spent this morning playing along with Muddy Waters songs...
    Yup. Willie Dixon was The Essence - the granddaddy of 'em all!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    For the past 9 months my mandolins seemed to have vanished behind this dizzying array of electric mayhem . . . but this past weekend I somehow managed to break though this fortress of amplification and find my beloved Kentucky KM272 quietly and patiently waiting for my return.

Name:	EM.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	176371
    Love the Gretsch... and the RIC too!

Blog Entries

Hey Caleb:

Yes, the Gretsch is an amazing guitar - it is the only 12-string I have ever owned over the years (and I have owned at least 6 or 7) that has just the right tone to match my singing voice, and was only about 1/3 cost of my former beloved Rickenbacker 12-strings . . . and whenever i bring it to a gig, people love the black and gold look.

Even though the previous owner of my Ric 620 committed a terrible sacrilege but putting unknown humbuckers in it, the guitar still has a distinct tone - and cost me 1/3 of what a 620 would normally go for, because it had been so uncommonly modified.
    I recently finished a new homemade 4-song EP of original solo acoustic songs; (sorry, no mandolin content this time). If you are interested in a FREE copy, feel free to send me your address via Private Message, and I will be glad to send you one. Trust me, it will be worth the price!

17. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Hey Caleb:

Yes, the Gretsch is an amazing guitar - it is the only 12-string I have ever owned over the years (and I have owned at least 6 or 7) that has just the right tone to match my singing voice, and was only about 1/3 cost of my former beloved Rickenbacker 12-strings . . . and whenever i bring it to a gig, people love the black and gold look.

Even though the previous owner of my Ric 620 committed a terrible sacrilege but putting unknown humbuckers in it, the guitar still has a distinct tone - and cost me 1/3 of what a 620 would normally go for, because it had been so uncommonly modified.
    You’ve got just about every tonal possibility covered with your collection! Very nice. Have you considered taking the Ric back to stock pups?

19. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Blog Entries

Caleb, Good to know about the tonal spectrum and tube like tone from the Valvestate. Thanks for that! And love those guitars, Mike! Thanks for the lineup pic!

21. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Caleb 

Blog Entries

Caleb: I already have a Ric 360 to give me the traditional 'Rickenbacker Tone', so I am leaving the humbuckers in the 620. The tone is something like the mating of a Ric with a Les Paul . . . jangle with some extra heft at the bottom end.

Dan: That pic is only part of the family - check out my profile for a few more pictures . . . that will still leave the collection photographically incomplete.

To get back on the subject of this thread: How does everyone else find their way back to the mandolin after electrics get in the way? With me, it was just a matter of feeling like their was something missing in my music (even though I had been busy with guitars, bass, keyboards, writing, recording) - and inexplicably suddenly realizing it was the lack of mandolin that was causing the musical hole.

23. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Good heavens, I'll wax poetic over spilled electric gear! I just remembered all the synths I've owned...my first was a DX7 - that I never learned to program - nor my second, a SC Prophet 600. I had a Rhodes then too... Ah life!

Where is the lament emoji?!!

Blog Entries

He Guys, Loving this electric and amps discussion! Michael G-- the Vox AC30 along with the Fender Princeton tube version are both on my dream list. The AC30 can handle anything!

26. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

OK, I got back into the tube amp game with a Peavey Classic 20, an 18 watt using EL84s with the original 10" Eminence proto Ragin' Cajun. Also picked up the matching extension cab. After a few years my main tube amps became a pair of Ampex 2010 6V6 10 watt tube amps with 8" JBLs. I swear that these sound like my old Twin Reverb. I still use the Ampex's but ... the #1 amp for me until death do us part is now a 12 watt Tweed Deluxe 5e3 clone with a 12" Jensen which they tout as a reproduction of the original. To make it perfect I need to do the negative feedback mod.
    199? Ike Bacon F5
    1945 Levin 330
    192? Oscar Schmidt banjo mandolin
    200? Olympia OM6-SW
    early Eastwood Mandostang
    Fender Tweed Deluxe clone

To get back on the subject of this thread: How does everyone else find their way back to the mandolin after electrics get in the way? With me, it was just a matter of feeling like their was something missing in my music (even though I had been busy with guitars, bass, keyboards, writing, recording) - and inexplicably suddenly realizing it was the lack of mandolin that was causing the musical hole.
    For me it's all about simplicity. Electric guitar is cool and fun, but it's a serious hassle (especially when one doesn't have a music room) to drag all the stuff out and get it all set up. But I can go grab my acoustic guitar or mandolin and, after tuning, start playing. Plus (and not to get weird) there is something earthy and simple and fundamentally basic and human (to me) about acoustic instruments and what happens when we play them. No amps or cables or feedback or loops, just simple sound. I don't feel as if I've described it well at all, but that is what always ends up calling me back to acoustic instruments.

29. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

For me it's all about simplicity. Electric guitar is cool and fun, but it's a serious hassle (especially when one doesn't have a music room) to drag all the stuff out and get it all set up. But I can go grab my acoustic guitar or mandolin and, after tuning, start playing. Plus (and not to get weird) there is something earthy and simple and fundamentally basic and human (to me) about acoustic instruments and what happens when we play them. No amps or cables or feedback or loops, just simple sound. I don't feel as if I've described it well at all, but that is what always ends up calling me back to acoustic instruments.
    In the house, acoustic and electric are equally easy as long as you don't plug either in. For gigs, acoustic and electric guitars both mean a lot of peripherals for most people, although it's very true if you're just playing an acoustic someone else mic, it doesn't take any more than that.

Rehearsals are where I find the big difference is. At acoustic practices I just need an instrument, electric practices need a lot more lugging and set-up.