Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix mandolins closing shop?

Default Phoenix mandolins closing shop?

Acoustic Music Works in Pittsburgh is reporting on its FB page: "Sad news, folks. We've just received word that Phoenix Mandolins is halting production, effective immediately."

Can anyone else confirm that? Have I missed an earlier Forum topic concerning this?

Default Re: Phoenix mandolins closing shop?

Trevor at Acoustic Music Co in the UK also states the same on his FB page
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Oh no! This is awful news. Phoenix mandolins are distinctly different from the rest of the market and it is a real shame to lose something unique. Let's hope Jenny chimes in and tells us it's only a temporary hiatus and she will be back at it soon.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Clark For This Useful Post:

That would be a real shame. I love my Phoenix Bluegrass (built by Jenny Warner).
    Andrew Frink
    Phoenix Bluegrass, '23 Gibson A Snakehead, Clark octave coming soon

6. The following members say thank you to drooartz for this post:

There's nothing on their web site. I don't know about FB and Instagram. I don't mess with those.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Would not surprise me at all. Most want a mainstream instrument. Probably would make more doing pretty much anything else for a living. A shame really.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

It's true. We've known about it for awhile but didn't feel our place to announce it.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

A true shame then.

I wish Jenny all the best in whatever is to come, and I will continue to enjoy my Phoenix for many songs to come.
    Andrew Frink
    Phoenix Bluegrass, '23 Gibson A Snakehead, Clark octave coming soon

So true @Br1ck. Everybody talks about Eastmans, Kentuckys, Webers, Breedloves...I never see anybody talk about Phoenix (except 2 of my students who both independently just bought one each which is pretty amazing)

Best wishes to Jenny in her next adventure. And, yes, sad news...
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Would not surprise me at all. Most want a mainstream instrument. Probably would make more doing pretty much anything else for a living. ...
    So I'm assuming then that the financial info shown in the screenshot below, is not accurate? The website (which I'd never heard of before) claims the Phoenix Mandolins company has an "Estimated Annual Revenue" of "13.9 million dollars" and has approximately 55 employees.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13-9-million-dollars.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	170023

Huh... I'd be skeptical that even big-name outfits like Gibson could generate 13.9 million dollars per year in mandolin sales...

Just for lulz, I looked up Gibson on that site, it claims that Gibson's total (guitars and everything) estimated annual revenue is 400 million dollars... hmm let's see here, ok so let's compare total revenue of Gibson vs Phoenix, um (thinking, not easy nowadays) guess that'd be 400/13.9, so... if those figures are accurate (not likely?), that means Gibson in its entirety is only around 28 times bigger than Phoenix Mandolins was...

Was Phoenix Mandolins really that big of a company? 13.9 million dollars per year in mandolin sales? I don't recall even hearing of that brand before (although there are many things I haven't heard of). I'm finding it hard to imagine... The top of the line "Ultra" model has a list price of $10,500 so they'd have to sell 1,323 of those per year to get a total yearly revenue of $13,900,000. ... or looking at the lower-cost "Neoclassical" mandolin listed at $3,600 each that would require 3,861 sales per year... are there actually that many mandolin players in the world buying high-end instruments from just one company? I'd be surprised if there were 3,861 sales of $50 Rogue mandolins per year, but I could be wrong there.

I'm assuming that the more likely scenario is that it's just another instance of some website have wrong info (gee, like that's never happened before, lol). If not, well... looks like the way to get rich quick is to get into mandolin building. Or not.

But I have a new question: How many new mandolins total, all brands from all makers, are built and sold worldwide, per year? Does anyone know or have a vague guess? (like, how many zero's after the number). Just curious. Wouldn't think it would be very many... surely far fewer than the numbers of guitars, basses, etc...

Sorry to hear this. Phoenix mandolins are top notch in every way. Classic 2 point design. Best wishes to Jenny.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That Owler website isn't quite Dun & Bradstreet.

I have played only one Phoenix mandolin and it was delightful. Best wishes to Jenny.

["So I'm assuming then that the financial info shown in the screenshot below, is not accurate? The website (which I'd never heard of before) claims the Phoenix Mandolins company has an "Estimated Annual Revenue" of "13.9 million dollars" and has approximately 55 employees.

Click image for larger version. Name: 13-9-million-dollars.jpg Views: 7 Size: 180.0 KB ID: 170023

Huh... I'd be skeptical that even big-name outfits like Gibson could generate 13.9 million dollars per year in mandolin sales... "]

I don't about taking some data off the web and speculating about their revenue, and by implication sales, profits, etc. How much do or should people know about her situation, however heartbreaking and sad? It could be about sales and profits, or any number of others things personal, lifestyle, change in career and so on.

Always wanted a Phoenix, will have to someday look for a used one. Sad day indeed. Best of luck Jenny in whatever you decide to do next. Maybe a new mandolin brand?
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Best wishes to Jenny.

It is my hope that Rolfe Gerhardt will step in and resurrect PHOENIX.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hildreth View Post
    Best wishes to Jenny.

It is my hope that Rolfe Gerhardt will step in and resurrect PHOENIX.
    Rolfe wanted to retire, which he did, after he sold the business to Jenny, who was his apprentice for years. She has all the equipment that was in his shop, and he has since moved.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I have played a few Phoenixes over the years and they are very fine instruments. What I especially like about them is that each model is voiced differently. I thought that Rolfe was leaning toward retirement and that he was handing the business to Jenny. Maybe one or both will chime in here?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

It is my understanding that Phoenix was not the big company suggested in an earlier thread, but Rolfe's basically one-to-two person operation which, as Mary suggests above, was turned over to Jenny when Rolfe retired. Jenny has carried on Rolfe's innovative designs and high-quality builds. These instruments really are a group of several different takes on the mandolin for specific genres and tastes. In the past, I have been in contact with both of these fine people and really enjoyed these conversations. My Neoclassical is an absolute dream. It is and will likely remain for the rest of my life, my daily player.

I am saddened by this news for a couple of reasons. A I stated above, the mandolin world is losing some unique, high-quality options. And I understood this to be Jenny's long term dream. She worked for a long time under Rolfe's tutelage, she went through a Luthiery program, and she worked in another shop. Perhaps her dream has changed. If she chooses to tell us, that's OK. If she chooses to keep it to herself, it is her own business. Either way, I wish her well. I am and will remain, a fan of these great instruments.

23. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Jenny 

More and more these are becoming super-competitive times in the world of retail mandolin sales. So many excellent choices at so many price points... my hat's off to ALL the amazing builders, newbies and masters, who continue to hang in there and pursue their dreams despite uncertain economic reward...

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glassweb For This Useful Post:

"Rolfe wanted to retire, which he did, after he sold the business to Jenny, who was his apprentice for years. She has all the equipment that was in his shop, and he has since moved. "

I Have followed Rolfe's career and the Unicorn/Phoenix story for years. You never know what may happen.

I hope this was a positive decision for her, and if not Rolfe, I hope someone else may step in and continue making some of the finest mandolins in modern history.

Thanks for all the kind words about Phoenix mandolins and the support for Jenny. She made the difficult phone call to me a while back and, while it is sad, it is a good move for her. She is an incredibly talented builder and was the best possibility to carry forward the unique qualities of the Phoenix mandolins. But the business climate nowadays is terribly stressful, and neither of us will miss that. I am almost 79, and it was time to retire and move to an active retirement community where my wife and I can concentrate on things that bring us joy instead of all the demands of home and business ownership. It was an honor and a privilege to have been able to build those mandolins and share the building with Jenny---the best years of my building career and the best person to share those years with. Now, I'm off to playing pool with friends this morning and tying flies later.
    Rolfe Gerhardt

28. The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to Rolfe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
    Thanks for all the kind words about Phoenix mandolins and the support for Jenny. She made the difficult phone call to me a while back and, while it is sad, it is a good move for her. She is an incredibly talented builder and was the best possibility to carry forward the unique qualities of the Phoenix mandolins. But the business climate nowadays is terribly stressful, and neither of us will miss that. I am almost 79, and it was time to retire and move to an active retirement community where my wife and I can concentrate on things that bring us joy instead of all the demands of home and business ownership. It was an honor and a privilege to have been able to build those mandolins and share the building with Jenny---the best years of my building career and the best person to share those years with. Now, I'm off to playing pool with friends this morning and tying flies later.
    Hello Rolfe,

I wish you the best possible retirement and thank you for the innovations you developed and the wonderful instrument I play every day. I also thank Jenny for her hard work in trying to carry this forward, and congratulate her on having the courage to make that difficult decision. I hope Jenny will, in time, let us know where her journey takes her.

All the best,

Bob

04Bravo

Very sad news...I'm glad I got my Select when I did. I haven't found any other instrument quite like it.

Hats off to Rolfe and Jenny for having kept Phoenix going all this time.
    Phoenix Select #654
    Harmony Monterey 417

Thanks Rolfe, for taking the time and effort to make my Unicorn and Bluegrass such great instruments, even if I’ll never be as good as they are.

32. The following members say thank you to Urthona for this post: