Thread: Need some help with this Old Gibson

Default Need some help with this Old Gibson

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have any insight on this Gibson A Style? Model, Approximate
    year & value $? Serial number is 3763. See photos attached & I thank you
    in advance for your time!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MANDO1.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	169795   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MANDO2.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	169794   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MANDO5.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	169792  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MANDO6.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	169790   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MANDO5B.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	169791   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MANDO3.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	169793  

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Need some help with this Old Gibson

Gibson A-1, made in 1905 using Spann's list as a reference. If the finish is original, it's in really good shape. It is quite an early example.

I'm not going to comment on instrument values for the time being because it has caused problems on other threads. I suggest that you compare it to prices for similar instruments at well-established vintage dealers.

The closest one I could find to your serial number in the Mandolin Archive was S/N 3787, 1905.
    This mandolin appears to be in wonderful condition. It's an A-1 with the original Waverly tuning machines and Gibson German Silver tailpiece cover, which are high prized. It's amazing how clean the paper label looks, too.

It looks like a very nice instrument.

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/gibson/serial/3787
    1917 Gibson A-3, '64 Martin A, 2016 Rhodes F5R.

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    Gibson A-1, made in 1905 using Spann's list as a reference. If the finish is original, it's in really good shape. It is quite an early example.

I'm not going to comment on instrument values for the time being because it has caused problems on other threads. I suggest that you compare it to prices for similar instruments at well-established vintage dealers.
    Thanks a bunch!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zigeuner View Post
    The closest one I could find to your serial number in the Mandolin Archive was S/N 3787, 1905.
    This mandolin appears to be in wonderful condition. It's an A-1 with the original Waverly tuning machines and Gibson German Silver tailpiece cover, which are high prized. It's amazing how clean the paper label looks, too.

It looks like a very nice instrument.

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/gibson/serial/3787
    Thank you so much for the feedback! I could not bring up that link for some reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Southpaw View Post
    Thanks a bunch!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you so much for the feedback! I could not bring up that link for some reason?
    Nevermind. I was able to bring the link up. Thanks again.

It looks very clean and well preserved for such an old instrument. The photos are tiny and I can't tell for sure, but it looks like there might be some damage to the bridge and perhaps the E string saddles are missing. But if that's the case, a good luthier should be able to repair the bridge.

The photo of the back is interesting because it looks like the back might be made from three pieces of wood: a center strip and two wings. That would be highly unusual for a Gibson. But again, the photo isn't large enough for me to be sure of what I am looking at.

Gibson mandolins from this period are somewhat rare compared to those made just a few years later. On the other hand, players tend to prefer instruments from the teens and twenties. So assigning a value can be tricky, although I think you should expect to pay more for this than for a teens A1. Say $1,500 to $2,000. I am not aware of the problems caused in other threads by mentioning prices to which rcc56 refers, but now I am sure I will find out.

The instrument needs a good case if it doesn't have one. Condition indicates it was well kept, which suggests a case, but who knows? A period-correct hardshell case would enhance its value somewhat. If it has one of the old leather or end-loading canvas cases, it's probably time for a replacement.

There does appear to be a red price tag attached to the endpin, and the photos were obviously taken in a music shop. What price is the shop asking for it?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls