Thread: A new song "Levon's Barn"

Default A new song "Levon's Barn"

Hello Mandolin Cafe community! I'm a new member of the forum but have been enjoying reading posts here for some time. I wrote a new song called "Levon's Barn" that I did a home demo on and was hoping to get feedback from folks here at Mandolin Cafe.

It's a tribute to Levon Helm and his Rambles. Honest, constructive opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/adamtraummusic/levons-barn

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: A new song "Levon's Barn"

Adam, thank you for sharing with us. I'd have to say that any tribute to Levon is welcome to me. I don't want to offer much criticism, constructive or otherwise, as I am far from expert at anything, but I will write a couple of things. I think I'd enjoy this song even more if it were a little longer (maybe add instrumental breaks?) and if the tempo were picked up a little more than in this demo. Also, I'd suggest getting some friends to play with you. You've done a great job playing all the instruments, but magic can happen when you get a few other trusted musicians involved.

I don't know your family personally, but I and so many others have benefited from many of the Homespun series over the years. Happy has been a great blessing to us all. I belong to the "Folk music ~ 1960's to the present" group and always enjoy seeing any photo or comment posted by Happy there.

Color me a follower of your family and of many of the artists in your family circle. Again, thanks for sharing, and for bravely asking for criticism in an open forum!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff