Thread: A new song "Levon's Barn"

Default A new song "Levon's Barn"

Hello Mandolin Cafe community! I'm a new member of the forum but have been enjoying reading posts here for some time. I wrote a new song called "Levon's Barn" that I did a home demo on and was hoping to get feedback from folks here at Mandolin Cafe.

It's a tribute to Levon Helm and his Rambles. Honest, constructive opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/adamtraummusic/levons-barn

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar

Default Re: A new song "Levon's Barn"

Adam, thank you for sharing with us. I'd have to say that any tribute to Levon is welcome to me. I don't want to offer much criticism, constructive or otherwise, as I am far from expert at anything, but I will write a couple of things. I think I'd enjoy this song even more if it were a little longer (maybe add instrumental breaks?) and if the tempo were picked up a little more than in this demo. Also, I'd suggest getting some friends to play with you. You've done a great job playing all the instruments, but magic can happen when you get a few other trusted musicians involved.

I don't know your family personally, but I and so many others have benefited from many of the Homespun series over the years. Happy has been a great blessing to us all. I belong to the "Folk music ~ 1960's to the present" group and always enjoy seeing any photo or comment posted by Happy there.

Color me a follower of your family and of many of the artists in your family circle. Again, thanks for sharing, and for bravely asking for criticism in an open forum!
    Technique, theory and fun, fun, fun. I love playing, studying and sharing MUSIC.
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN
    ------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Collings Mandolins | MandoCymru
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff