Thread: Help me find what I'm looking for...

Default Help me find what I'm looking for...

Another thread about a pick. But not the usual. I know the sampler is out there and I was on the list but took myself out of rotation due to having to travel when my turn came up. Maybe I will jump back on and get a feel for some of the "uniqueness" out there but maybe I can get suggestions while looking into that. At this point not really ready for the expenditure of a Blue Chip (I have a young son, let's just say things mysteriously disappear at times).

I currently use these....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81SCyfmwNuL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	294.5 KB 
ID:	169741

I was given one of these and LOVE the size of it. The pointed pick end is a bit harsh at times though, thus my gravitating back towards the rounded tip.

Name:	91nCJiHlinL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	343.1 KB 
ID:	169743

Would this be a good alternative? Anyone tried these (I'm sure someone has) and can give me an opinion on the smaller Golden Gate vs this larger Golden Gate?

Name:	717vMbmxKLL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	169740

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71YB1bfCrjL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	169742  

Default Re: Help me find what I'm looking for...

If you like the fender except for the point take an emery stick, like a woman uses to file her nails and round it off. After shaping you'll need to polish it. This is faster on a buffing wheel but can be accomplished with rubbing compound on a cloth.

3. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

I assume that you post the pic of the Fender for shape only. Otherwise that is pretty thin for mandolin, at least most players I know would prefer thicker like similar thickness to your Golden Gate.

Everyone will have their opinion but you probably will have to try one or many picks for yourself. None of us play your mandolins(s) with your hands.

What about this Primetone?

Name:	81VNj1PaxfL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	167.9 KB 
ID:	169744
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    ... After shaping you'll need to polish it. This is faster on a buffing wheel but ...
    ... rubbing on blue jeans can help in a pinch, even if politically incorrect!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I definitely prefer the rounded triangle shape pick as I don't care for a pointless pick. A rounded tip just doesn't suit me. I can't say from experience but the larger Golden Gate pick would definitely be worth a try IMO. I find the larger size easier to hang on to and they have a point on each corner if my pick rotates a bit in my hand. Any plastic will get slick if it gets dirty / greasy . I keep some alcohol wipes in my case for those times. On BC picks …… yes they are definitely way cool and work great but so do many other brands. My personal favorite inexpensive pick is the triangle Tortex by Dunlop. The red .50 and orange .60 are too floppy for mandolin IMO yellow gauge .73mm if you want flex to Green .88mm for less flex to blue 1.0mm even less purple 1.14mm almost no flex. Many local stores carry these. Dunlop also manufactures the Primetone which was recommended above. R/
    https://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-431P1-...s=Tortex+picks
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I currently play a Blue Chip, but started out with some Wegans, still have them for backups and could easily recommend them...
    Despite the high cost of living, it still remains popular...

I have heard that the Dunlop Primetones (as pictured above) are pretty much the same thing as the Blue Chip. I bought a couple 3-packs of them and I don't think they were all that terribly expensive. I have yet to lose one, knock on wood. They're nice. Probably the best picks I have ever tried. I prefer a really thin pick, though. Seems to me that the Primetones, which are pretty hard, make more of a click sound. The thin, flexible pick (mine are Dunlop .73mm) makes less of a click sound.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I have heard that the Dunlop Primetones (as pictured above) are pretty much the same thing as the Blue Chip.
    I have tried and compared them, and IMHO they are not the same. Also, there is not such thing as "the Blue Chip". They come in different thicknesses and shapes and the tone the different types yield varies a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I prefer a really thin pick, though. Seems to me that the Primetones, which are pretty hard, make more of a click sound. The thin, flexible pick (mine are Dunlop .73mm) makes less of a click sound.
    This is a fallacy. The late great John McGann has a video out where he demonstrates this.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain

+1 to what Manfred Hacker wrote!

NO: Dunlop Primetones are NOT substantially the same as Blue Chip (CT55 model). Yes, they have exactly the same size, shape, thickness, and bevel, but they are made from different materials. The Primetones are made from a polyetherimide (a relatively inexpensive plastic, a.k.a. Ultex or Ultem), and the Blue Chips from a type of polyimide (a very expensive plastic, a.k.a. Melden, costing thousands of dollars per sheet). These plastics have different chemical compositions, different elastic and mechanical properties, different melting points, etc. Picks made from the different plastics sound different when played. The plastic use to form the Blue Chip picks contains some graphite and is self-lubricating; it tends to slide off the string more easily. It also has a "tacky" feel that makes it less prone to slip in the fingers. I buy Primetones, which are quite inexpensive, mostly to use as backup picks, should I lose or misplace my CT55 BlueChip, and to keep together with different instruments. But my "go-to" pick is a BlueChip. YMMV.

An NO: thinner, more flexible picks do not generate less pick noise than their thicker, stiffer counterparts that are made from the same material. This has been shown time and again. If fact, thinner picks generate more pick noise! If you test this yourself, make sure that you are comparing picks made of exactly the same material, because the material has a major influence on pick click, as well.

Nonetheless, if you can’t hear or feel the difference, they are substantially the same for practical purposes. So, it’s up to each player to decide.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

12. The following members say thank you to JonZ for this post:

Also, I play pretty fast, but have yet to melt a pick.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

14. The following members say thank you to JonZ for this post:

I have a couple of blue chip picks..imho they are every bit as good as people say but I always find myself going back to my wegen tf140. Great picks and well worth trying. They are also the shape the OP is looking for.