Thread: Schaller Grandtunes revisited... problems

Default Schaller Grandtunes revisited... problems

I've scanned the threads on Schaller GT's - apologies if this duplicates what has already been discussed...

I have installed GTs with ebony buttons on a quite a few builds and been really happy with them but recently had problems with tuners fitted with the Galalith (ivoroid style) buttons. Some of the buttons on the last two sets had noticable play and quite quickly worked loose after installation. Pressing them hard back in place hasn't always solved it. Bad batch? Or has anyone else experienced this?
    Last edited by davepm; Jun-20-2023 at 5:11pm.

Default Re: Schaller Grandtunes revisited... problems

Have you contacted Schaller about your concerns? To me that would be the first step.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

3. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

I haven't seen anything about the Schaller GrandTunes having this problem that I can recall but other companies have had button issues in the past. Kluson had bad buttons from somewhere around 1949 into the 1960's. Let them know via their website. I'm sure they don't want that problem hanging around.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I've never had problems on the few sets of Schaller's I've had or installed. I did have some loose Ivoroid buttons on a set of Stew-Mac Golden Age tuning machines I discussed on this thread.

I fixed mine by wicking some thin superglue in between the button and shaft.

Adrian Minarovic

Galalith is sensitive to humidity so in some cases it may be affected by sweaty hands or humid environment and become loose from the shaft. Since they are not screwed onto the shaft I would opt for tiny drop of CA glue which was most likely used in production. If its bad wobble, I'd contact Schaller, they are reputable comany.
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Have you contacted Schaller about your concerns? To me that would be the first step.
    Yes, and to their credit got back almost immediately with an offer of replacements which seem to have shipped. They asked whether the buttons were coming off (they were) and said use epoxy....

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    Galalith is sensitive to humidity so in some cases it may be affected by sweaty hands or humid environment and become loose from the shaft. Since they are not screwed onto the shaft I would opt for tiny drop of CA glue which was most likely used in production. If its bad wobble, I'd contact Schaller, they are reputable comany.
    Thats very interesting - I had not used the galalith buttons before (nor knew how it was made, I do now) and the ebony buttons have always been fine. As posted above Schaller have been very responsive and sent replacements, saying fix the ones you have with glue... I will!