Thread: Sam Bush instructional DVD suggestions

Default Sam Bush instructional DVD suggestions

After seeing Sam Bush and Sierra Hull together at Grey Fox I decided I wanted to buy a Sam DVD, but not sure which one. After checking out Homespun and searching the archive here, I want a bunch of DVDs from other instructors on there as well. I like the idea of learning blues mandolin as well as bluegrass. I would still consider myself a beginner but edging toward intermediate. I've learned a bunch of fiddle tunes and some Dead tunes ad a few other random things. Just looking for suggestions on which Sam (or other) DVD would be my best bet to take me into solid intermedaite-hood. I am looking to learn licks/solos but also would like some theory as well. I can fake it on a pentatonic scale but it sounds boring. I'm not sure how well I would learn off a DVD so I only want to buy one now and if things go well maybe buy others later.

Default Re: Ssm Bush instructional DVD suggestions

Can't help you with the DVD choice but I'd say invest in a few lessons in person or Skype/FaceTime - cost around $50/hour. It'll get you headed in the direction you want to go and catch any bad habits you may be developing. After that I'd say check out Matt Flinner's courses and the other online stuff such as Banjo Ben, Mandolessons, PegHead Nation, Pickin' Lessons...so many to choose from, most free or a small donation if you use it alot. Have fun!
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by jaybp30 View Post
    I am looking to learn licks/solos but also would like some theory as well. I can fake it on a pentatonic scale but it sounds boring. I'm not sure how well I would learn off a DVD so I only want to buy one now and if things go well maybe buy others later.
    Restricting my comments to Homespun video series: All the Sam Bush videos can be helpful, Sam gives some examples on the videos of some rhythmic technique and some examples of ornamental ideas for playing melody lines, and some exercises for technique. All the videos have value IMO.

The part of your comment I quoted, about getting a little music theory, there are lots of choices, but the Homespun DVDs by Mike Marshall are pretty good in that area - both his Mandolin Fundamental DVDs and his Arpeggio Workout DVDs.

And about video lessons: Everybody learns differently, I understand that, but it's still tough for me to understand how folk can have trouble learning with a video series. You can watch it again and again, you can print out TAB and notation that comes with it. It's a great tool for learning. The one thing you don't get is feedback. Feedback is important. You don't have to hire a teacher on schedule to get feedback though. Hiring a teacher is one way, and it's a great way, if you find a great teacher and you can afford it.

Other ways to get feedback: Find other good musicians to play with and get their feedback on what you're doing, hire a teacher on occasion through skype, or video exchange, or one-on-one if there is a good one near you, make friends with players on an internet forum, if you are comfortable with it contact them and seek their feedback to your videos, etc.

I love learning from video as much or more than learning from friends or teachers one-on-one, there are advantages either way. I do make extensive use of video lessons from Homespun, Bradleylaird.com, mandolessons, Banjo Ben Clark and others. You can learn as little or as much as you want from video lessons, and once you have them you can return to them as often as you wish and repeat lessons as many times as you'd like.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

4. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

gtani7 

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I started with getting into rhythm mandolin. Then getting into solo mandolin. Then the sam bush mandolin method. And there’s some really useful stuff on the bill monroe one, which sam teaches.

Possibly best one to start is the mandolin method. But you can’t go wrong.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Thanks for the replies. At some point I'd like to find time to take lessons but with time at a premium being able to do this "on demand" is helpful right now. I'll pull the trigger on one of the Sam DVDs and take it from there.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jaybp30 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. At some point I'd like to find time to take lessons but with time at a premium being able to do this "on demand" is helpful right now. I'll pull the trigger on one of the Sam DVDs and take it from there.
    Let us know how you go!
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

I have a couple of the Sam Bush DVD's from homespun and I do enjoy them a lot, i have learned more theory and pick control from the great Chris Thile's DVD. He does have a couple of songs on there but the way to do scales and his arpeggios are worth the price of the DVD. Also Sign up for their email list and you can get some great deals. I go the Sam Bush DVDs and Chris Thile's for like 10 bucks a piece. Good luck and let us know which one you get.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I got an email from Homespun that they are offering "The Sam Bush Mandolin Method" 2 DVD set (or digital download) for only $15 (normally almost 50!). NFI just on their mailing list. Sale ends Friday 3/15 at midnight.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Egerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I got an email from Homespun that they are offering "The Sam Bush Mandolin Method" 2 DVD set (or digital download) for only $15 (normally almost 50!). NFI just on their mailing list. Sale ends Friday 3/15 at midnight.
    Thank you for resurrecting an old thread. Truly pleased to have been able to take advantage of the sale and can't wait to get home tonight and start working my way through them

Blog Entries

Just an FYI, anything at Homespun or dozens of other similar companies have always been available digitally for download right here on the Cafe under the Lessons On Demand link on every page on the entire site. Under the Listen/Learn main category link toward the bottom. And boy, do we make a lot of money reselling those. Sometimes enough for two cups of coffee a month as long as it's somewhere cheaper than Starbucks.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Crikey - who knew there are so many instructional dvd's for mando out there?

And what was Thile, about 12 years old when he did his...?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sam Bush instructional DVD suggestions

122 mandolin videos alone, some very prominent, some obscure, hundreds more for lots of other instruments.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    122 mandolin videos alone, some very prominent, some obscure, hundreds more for lots of other instruments.
    I’ve learned some cool versions from the inexpensive audio lessons from Musicians Workshop that show up in the learn on demand section too. Mike Huckabee does a good job with those.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

I started with his "Method" and "bluegrass" DVD's because they were in the public library. Also John Hartford's interview of Bill Monroe.

So i would start with the libraries, see waht they have. As far as theory/harmony goes, don't go in the deep end, learn a chord sequence at at time, record some backing tracks and play over that. This is a really good book for just enough theory https://www.amazon.com/Mandolin-Pick.../dp/078668237X
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds