Thread: As good as NMD, fresh frets and setup, visit to Skip Kelley

Default As good as NMD, fresh frets and setup, visit to Skip Kelley

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share my excitement over having my baby back and good as new!
    I have had Skip Kelley's #54 since April '16 and played it quite a bit at home and gigs. The frets were getting to be in pretty rough shape so I finally made the whopping 1:15 hr drive to Skip's.

He put on a whole set of EVO gold and did some bridge work to get the D intonation just exactly right. I've always loved this mando since day 1 but now it's like brand new again!

He also put on some Martin Monel strings, which so far I am happy with. I have been using D'addario NB and they are not all that much different I think, at a cheaper price too. I will save my final opinion on them for more than just a few hours of playing time.

I also got to check out two other mandolins while I was there. A beautiful green finished F style with an Englemann top. Great tone with a little less "attitude" than my Red top.
    Also a brand new A-style with a top from 1902! So cool to even just have wood that old, but this thing sounds GREAT, especially for brand new. Probably the most impressed with an A that I have been.

Very great work Skip! Thanks
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

2. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post: