Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pango Mandocello

Default Re: Pango Mandocello

I think the whole genre of the unboxing video is hilarious. Although my playing makes my cat cry. But that’s funny so...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan K View Post
    I think the whole genre of the unboxing video is hilarious. Although my playing makes my cat cry. But that’s funny so...
    Wow. An unboxing AND cat video. Memeland! Your playing is fine.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

BTW, I also posted in another thread the dimensions for case sizing:

Body Length: 20.5 in
    body Height (incl. bridge): 5.5 in
    Lower Bout: 14.5 in
    Mid Bout: 10 in
    Upper Bout: 11 in
    Total Length: 40 in

Jim, thank you for your pointers to the Epiphone cases. I can't figure out which one to try - the case you suggested seems too large.

So I just bought a Road Runner Boulevard Acoustic Gig Bag (7/8 to Concert). The 'cello fits quite nicely and if I don't jump up and down on it, I think the bridge should be ok.

Any suggestions for hard shell would be appreciated!

Jim, thank you for your pointers to the Epiphone cases. I can't figure out which one to try - the case you suggested seems too large.
    I think your best best will be Guardian CG-056-C
    http://www.guardiancases.com/cg056.html
    Though you'll need extra space for the lower point
    Last edited by colorado_al; Feb-23-2019 at 8:57pm.

As I mentioned, Epiphone does not list measurements. OTOH if you like the look, check out the measurements of the modern Epiphone archtops that would fit in them. Zenith or Olympic might work. If the one that Al recommends could work.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

So I just bought a Road Runner Boulevard Acoustic Gig Bag (7/8 to Concert). The 'cello fits quite nicely and if I don't jump up and down on it, I think the bridge should be ok.

Check out the case thread you posted in yesterday for one suggestion.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I also ordered one of these, and while mine got held up in customs, it has now arrived, and I've played it for a few days.

My thoughts are similar. The finish around the scroll could certainly use a bit of touch up, but for the most part, the instrument looks great. I have yet to do a more detailed set-up, but the neck is adjusted, and the bridge placed (but not re-shaped).

I wanted to add a note about tone. I've got an Eastman that I've had for a number of years - but I was really envious of a scroll. The Eastman's neck has been adjusted width wise so that it's more playable, but that hasn't affected it's tone.

The comparison between the two is interesting. While the Eastman has f-holes, and the Pango has a single sound hole, I'm guessing the sound has more to do with body shape. This Pango seems to focus more on the mando side of the name, while the Eastman is more of a 'cello. The Eastman may be very slightly louder, but I think it's more a roundness of tone, rather than the the bite of the Pango.

Just thought I'd put that out there. I'm handing them back and forth to compare.

10. The following members say thank you to nblauss for this post:

40bpm 

Use the styrofoam shipping box it came in. You could glue luan plywood to the outside of it, make a hinged lid and add a handle. Kind of like a giant Travelite.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charles E. For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Use the styrofoam shipping box it came in. You could glue luan plywood to the outside of it, make a hinged lid and add a handle. Kind of like a giant Travelite.
    Clever!

14. The following members say thank you to Jonathan K for this post:

I’m this close to ordering one! The thing that’s putting me off though is the seller’s all positive reviews: many of them are from the same “buyer,” for the same guitar strap, with the same innocuous comments. I feel like that doesn’t make me feel good about the seller’s honesty.

I bought one of their mandolins and I like it quite a lot! But they may be fudging their reviews. I wouldn't be surprised with that from a Chinese factory. Anyhow, the mandolin is great!
    Best, Stevo

The comparison between the two is interesting. While the Eastman has f-holes, and the Pango has a single sound hole, I'm guessing the sound has more to do with body shape. This Pango seems to focus more on the mando side of the name, while the Eastman is more of a 'cello. The Eastman may be very slightly louder, but I think it's more a roundness of tone, rather than the the bite of the Pango.
    I won't claim to know the physics behind it, but the F hole style top will project the sound out ward from the instrument a little further than the round center hole. Just my observation but round hole tops tend to be more "Bassier" and F hole more high register.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Hello everyone! New to the forum here, but saw this thread awhile back and ended up buying one of their Mandocello's. Here's the one I ended up getting:

Name:  s-l200.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  9.4 KB

It appears they do build them in batches of 4, as I received the following pictures and message from them on ebay of the 4 currently being built:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	178188 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	178189

Great day!

for now, the Mandocello body is ready, the rest building progress will be fast,

to make 1 unit, it will take a lot of time, so we built 4 units this time,

attached are the body photos, pls check them

any update will be offered, pls don't worry

any questions or needs, pls tell us anytime

Sincerely, Ann

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shawn Walters For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=Shawn Walters;1723865]

"It appears they do build them in batches of 4, as I received the following pictures and message from them on ebay of the 4 currently being built:"

I received the same message and photos from Ann. I think I received my instrument about 2 months after ordering it. I am very happy with its sound and playability. I have posted a couple of Bach recordings on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWE...Y3qRkRQOZH92YQ
    The channel also has a couple of tracks that I did with a Fender acoustic guitar that I had converted to 6-string mandocello tuned C G D.

Jonathan, that thing looks and sounds great. Nice score. I think the stretches would be too much for me to get much enjoyment out of something like that, so I admire your skills. I used to have an octave mandolin and couldn't play tunes on it at all.

It looks like Jonathan is selling his. Curiously, for more than they cost new?
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/145522#145522

Quote Originally Posted by stevojack665 View Post
    It looks like Jonathan is selling his. Curiously, for more than they cost new?
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/145522#145522
    Probably rolled in the setup costs at luthier. Not cheap.

24. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

It’s a great instrument. I just don’t play it enough to warrant keeping it.

As for cost, I invested about $280 into it including TI strings and setup, so $100 over new isn’t so unreasonable. And you get it in a few days already set up instead of in 45 days needing a setup.

26. The following members say thank you to Jonathan K for this post:

Congrats Jonathan K and Colorado Al, those Pango's sound pretty good, more importantly the number of active mandocellos on the planet increases which puts my soul at ease....
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Props to those of you that can play those things. I had an ache for the low rumble for quite a while (thanks Mike Marshall and Gator Strut) before circumstances worked out so that I could get a Weber Yellowstone MC from The Mandolin Store. It was a beautiful beast of an instrument, with awesome tone, and it came set up perfectly. I dove in with all the fervor of someone who wanted to be the Yo Yo Ma of mandocellists. I got a couple of beginner cello books to learn the fretboard and shore up my bass clef reading, and really enjoyed it. I even managed to work it into a couple of contemporary Christian songs with our youth praise band when I had basically a fingerstyle guitarist/vocalist and had to hold down both rhythm and bass, and it actually worked out well. But, man, the scale length just kicked my booty, and, after a couple of years I realized that I’m way better at mandolin and guitar than I’ll ever functionally be on MC. I used to have a 22.5 inch OM with which I could play rhythm all day long, but with which I struggled on tunes/lead stuff.

Then I played a 20 inch scale OM at The Music Emporium, and my hands liked it...a lot. So, the MC is in transit to TMS, and i’ll Soon be getting a 20 inch OM. Can’t wait...more to come when it arrives. For now, props to those of you who make a MC sound so fine...
    Chuck

Hi, all. Another update several months down the road. Having spent more time with this thing, I'm coming to a couple of conclusions / realizations.

Firstly, I'm really coming to appreciate the sound. I've never played another f-style mandocello, so I can't make a comparison (though I'd love to if anyone knows of one in Western Maine), but I think the tone is mellowing a bit. It's not as loud as the Eastman, but it does sound nice, and you can feel the resonance as you play.

On the flip side, I'm finding more spots where the finish and/or detail work is a bit off. I'm a carpenter (not a work-worker, necessarily), and there are some places that really needed to be sanded, or where the binding on the fret board is loose, etc. I'm not sure what it would take to get everything totally dialed in - and I definitely don't have the time to do it - but I notice it while I'm playing, and wish I knew more.

Anyway, I have no remorse. I think the Eastman sounds marginally better, but this thing feels right.

30. The following members say thank you to nblauss for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by nblauss View Post
    Hi, all. Another update several months down the road. Having spent more time with this thing, I'm coming to a couple of conclusions / realizations.

Firstly, I'm really coming to appreciate the sound. I've never played another f-style mandocello, so I can't make a comparison (though I'd love to if anyone knows of one in Western Maine), but I think the tone is mellowing a bit. It's not as loud as the Eastman, but it does sound nice, and you can feel the resonance as you play.

On the flip side, I'm finding more spots where the finish and/or detail work is a bit off. I'm a carpenter (not a work-worker, necessarily), and there are some places that really needed to be sanded, or where the binding on the fret board is loose, etc. I'm not sure what it would take to get everything totally dialed in - and I definitely don't have the time to do it - but I notice it while I'm playing, and wish I knew more.

Anyway, I have no remorse. I think the Eastman sounds marginally better, but this thing feels right.
    There are certainly some places where my Afanti mandolins could be better. A fair amount of visible glue in the neck joint, a few places where the binding has a tiny air pocket beneath it, and the finish could be smoother. I'm sure if I took the time to fix these it would be not too hard to do. For the money spent however, they are terrific! The fingerboards are straight, the tops and backs are well carved and the sound is quite good.

I'll add a few things about mine as well. I should add that I repair stringed instruments and occasionally build them as well, so I'm coming at this from that perspective.

I'm very pleased with it overall. The strings it shipped with, however, we're completely useless. They looked liked someone who sweats heavily had been playing on them for a over a year, and they wouldn't hold tune, but that's just a small thing. Finish is just "ok", small imperfections and bubbles, but again, not a deal breaker. I did visit with Pango (Ann, their Representative) about shipping mine without a finish as I could have just applied my own or done a french polish or something, and they agreed to do so at a reduced cost. In fact, they can pretty much do anything you ask because you're custom ordering these instruments and they were willing to use different finishes or ship the thing in pieces if you want to finish the luthiery work yourself...that's a major bonus in my book. Ultimately, I decided just to have them do the finish, as I had too many other projects in line to get around to it. There are only two "big" issues for me:

1. Glue: Seems minor, but it's a bit sloppy and it stinks to high heaven. I've had the thing for 3 or 4 months now, and it still stinks. Not as bad as when it was new, but nonetheless, you'll want to avoid exposure to it for long periods until it's fully gassed off.
    2. Design: With this instrument being around a guitar scale length, the cutaway where you'd normally rest it on your leg is far too short. I get that they wanted to keep the general mandolin appearance, but it's a serious design flaw for larger instruments and it's hard to get the instrument into a comfortable playing position. I'm thinking of building a small leg rest attachment to solve the issue however.

That being said, there are many positives and here are a few I've noticed in particular:

1. Fingerboard wood: Surprisingly, it's Ebony! The listing says it's Rosewood, but it's not. In fact, mine is actually pretty high-grade ebony at that. With the extra string tension, ebony is a smarter choice, as it's harder than Rosewood and over time should be able to help ease some tension related issues with the heavy strings.
    2. Sound: I didn't really know what to expect to be honest, but the tone and sound are "there", and quite good to my ears.
    3. Playability: Some small setup was needed. You'll most likely need to cut the string slots in the nut deeper (it's a bone nut by the way, not plastic), make the bridge a bit lighter, and adjust the truss rod, but the fret job was pretty much spot on and quite beautifully done. It plays as smooth as butter now.

Overall, at the price, a great instrument. I wouldn't have been able to do the work myself and charge the price they do for the quality you'll get. It's a beast of an instrument, but for those of you not used to playing longer scale length instruments, it's going to be a challenge.

Just my 2 cents. Well, maybe 3.

33. The following members say thank you to Shawn Walters for this post:

40bpm 

How much cheaper with no finish?