Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pango Mandocello

Default Re: Pango Mandocello

I think the whole genre of the unboxing video is hilarious. Although my playing makes my cat cry. But that’s funny so...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan K View Post
    I think the whole genre of the unboxing video is hilarious. Although my playing makes my cat cry. But that’s funny so...
    Wow. An unboxing AND cat video. Memeland! Your playing is fine.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- 1937 Gibson L-Century -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

BTW, I also posted in another thread the dimensions for case sizing:

Body Length: 20.5 in
    body Height (incl. bridge): 5.5 in
    Lower Bout: 14.5 in
    Mid Bout: 10 in
    Upper Bout: 11 in
    Total Length: 40 in

Jim, thank you for your pointers to the Epiphone cases. I can't figure out which one to try - the case you suggested seems too large.

So I just bought a Road Runner Boulevard Acoustic Gig Bag (7/8 to Concert). The 'cello fits quite nicely and if I don't jump up and down on it, I think the bridge should be ok.

Any suggestions for hard shell would be appreciated!

Jim, thank you for your pointers to the Epiphone cases. I can't figure out which one to try - the case you suggested seems too large.
    I think your best best will be Guardian CG-056-C
    http://www.guardiancases.com/cg056.html
    Though you'll need extra space for the lower point
    Last edited by colorado_al; Feb-23-2019 at 8:57pm.

As I mentioned, Epiphone does not list measurements. OTOH if you like the look, check out the measurements of the modern Epiphone archtops that would fit in them. Zenith or Olympic might work. If the one that Al recommends could work.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- 1937 Gibson L-Century -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

Blog Entries

So I just bought a Road Runner Boulevard Acoustic Gig Bag (7/8 to Concert). The 'cello fits quite nicely and if I don't jump up and down on it, I think the bridge should be ok.

Check out the case thread you posted in yesterday for one suggestion.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I also ordered one of these, and while mine got held up in customs, it has now arrived, and I've played it for a few days.

My thoughts are similar. The finish around the scroll could certainly use a bit of touch up, but for the most part, the instrument looks great. I have yet to do a more detailed set-up, but the neck is adjusted, and the bridge placed (but not re-shaped).

I wanted to add a note about tone. I've got an Eastman that I've had for a number of years - but I was really envious of a scroll. The Eastman's neck has been adjusted width wise so that it's more playable, but that hasn't affected it's tone.

The comparison between the two is interesting. While the Eastman has f-holes, and the Pango has a single sound hole, I'm guessing the sound has more to do with body shape. This Pango seems to focus more on the mando side of the name, while the Eastman is more of a 'cello. The Eastman may be very slightly louder, but I think it's more a roundness of tone, rather than the the bite of the Pango.

Just thought I'd put that out there. I'm handing them back and forth to compare.

10. The following members say thank you to nblauss for this post:

40bpm 

Use the styrofoam shipping box it came in. You could glue luan plywood to the outside of it, make a hinged lid and add a handle. Kind of like a giant Travelite.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charles E. For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Use the styrofoam shipping box it came in. You could glue luan plywood to the outside of it, make a hinged lid and add a handle. Kind of like a giant Travelite.
    Clever!

14. The following members say thank you to Jonathan K for this post:

I’m this close to ordering one! The thing that’s putting me off though is the seller’s all positive reviews: many of them are from the same “buyer,” for the same guitar strap, with the same innocuous comments. I feel like that doesn’t make me feel good about the seller’s honesty.

I bought one of their mandolins and I like it quite a lot! But they may be fudging their reviews. I wouldn't be surprised with that from a Chinese factory. Anyhow, the mandolin is great!
    Best, Stevo

The comparison between the two is interesting. While the Eastman has f-holes, and the Pango has a single sound hole, I'm guessing the sound has more to do with body shape. This Pango seems to focus more on the mando side of the name, while the Eastman is more of a 'cello. The Eastman may be very slightly louder, but I think it's more a roundness of tone, rather than the the bite of the Pango.
    I won't claim to know the physics behind it, but the F hole style top will project the sound out ward from the instrument a little further than the round center hole. Just my observation but round hole tops tend to be more "Bassier" and F hole more high register.
    "Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Hello everyone! New to the forum here, but saw this thread awhile back and ended up buying one of their Mandocello's. Here's the one I ended up getting:

Name:  s-l200.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  9.4 KB

It appears they do build them in batches of 4, as I received the following pictures and message from them on ebay of the 4 currently being built:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	178188 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	178189

Great day!

for now, the Mandocello body is ready, the rest building progress will be fast,

to make 1 unit, it will take a lot of time, so we built 4 units this time,

attached are the body photos, pls check them

any update will be offered, pls don't worry

any questions or needs, pls tell us anytime

Sincerely, Ann

19. The following members say thank you to Shawn Walters for this post: