Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pango Mandocello

Default Re: Pango Mandocello

NotMelloCello, I deleted our exchange of messages back and forth, but if I remember correctly it was around $150 (maybe $200) less without the finish. I'm fine with the finish to be honest, and although it's probably a type polyurethane or something similar, it doesn't look to be applied terribly thick. If I'd had the time avaliable when I got it, I may have opted to do a higher quality finish nitrocellulose or french polish myself, but it wasn't a deal breaker.

Okay, thanks. Filed for future reference.

Sharing the sound of my recently acquired Pango Alfanti octave mandolin with the TI mittel strings. Happy with the sound, playability and craftsmanship. I think $1500 is the reasonable limit for these instruments, since the build quality is decent and they use all solid woods. Pro tip, this 20” scale mando fits perfectly in the Golden Gate hard shell case c1511.

Last edited by Algreen; Jan-13-2020 at 8:00pm.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Algreen For This Useful Post:

Brighton on the sunny south coast of the UK

Thank you for that, Algreen. I came to this thread because I really want an f-style OM and can't afford a Weber. Pictures are fine but they don't tell you how playable an instrument is, or what it sounds like. Yours sounds pretty good, and since you're playing it I'm guessing its pretty playable too! What strings do you have on it? Did you have any setup issues to attend to when it arrived, like Jonathan described with his mandocello? (I'm guessing they probably sell more OM's than MC's...)

Very cool!
    2022 SRC Electric Octave Mandolin
    Crafter Acoustic/Electric Mandolin
    Surf City Octave Acoustic Mando
    Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele
    Epiphone 1924 Recording A Tenor Banjo
    Paramount 1929 Artcraft Tenor Banjo

I am lucky in that I have a local store with an Eastman and Goldtone Mandocellos in stock (or at least they did a few months ago when I was last there). I was more impressed with the Goldtone, tbh. The unplugged sound wasn't quite as full as the Eastman, but it was still passable and it was much easier to play. The neck is too wide on the Eastman, in my opinion. I have thought about swinging by to pick that thing up and jam with it. Then I discovered Pango. This only makes my decision tougher haha. I love the idea of a gigantic F style mando. I think if I had a 'cello I could adapt to the longer scale length, as I was a guitar player before ever picking up a mando.

That said, an OM would be nice because it is still tuned to G-D-A-E. I guess the only solution is to aim to have both eventually...
    In the meantime, those of you with OM and MCs of all makes need to be posting more youtube videos for me to drool over!

Is there a similar thread for the Pango/Afanti Mandolin? thanks