Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pango Mandocello

Default Pango Mandocello

Anyone spot that pair of Pango Mandocello pages on Squeebay? The guy wants paid up front with a 3 month wait to build and deliver from China. I would be nervous about hitting that Buy It Now button....

Default Re: Pango Mandocello

yet they have 5 available.... Materials to build five?

Restocking charge is only 25%! Plus shipping.

I noticed some time ago the price their other products suddenly increased abou 80%. Something to do with tariffs?

Always helpful to provide a link:
    Pango Mandocello
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Has anyone seen one of these in person? It's intriguing to get an f-style mandocello for the price of an Eastman. They say they're shipping in real time, these days. I'm sure I'm getting ahead of myself.

I recently took a chance and purchased a mandolin made by this same builder. Build quality far exceeded my expectations. It did take a while to receive, since it shipped from China. But it was well worth the wait and the price was well below what the instrument would cost from a retailer. It looks like they have most models already built and ready to ship, but I expect mandocellos are not really in demand, so they build to order instead of stocking them ready to ship.
    The mandolin was shipped direct from the factory, without setup. The packaging was very good and it arrived unscathed. The ebony fretboard was dry as a bone, bridge was not mated to the top and the nut needed work. Aside from the dry fretboard, not a surprise. A little fingerboard oil and an hour on the bench, and it plays great! If I didn't already have a great mandocello, I'd consider the Pango.
    Last edited by colorado_al; Dec-15-2018 at 11:09am.

Which model mandolin did you buy? The A models seem to be around $565-585USD and Fs around $750-995USD with free shipping. For those prices, how do they compare to, say, Eastman, Kentucky and The Loar mandolins? Prices do not seem to be a superbargain unless they have gone up a lot or the quality is higher than those known and already imported brands.

They certainly look nice: A pictured below is $585 and dark brown F is $995 and reddish brown F is $755.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	173428 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	266 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	173429 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	250 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	173430
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Which model mandolin did you buy? The A models seem to be around $565-585USD and Fs around $750-995USD with free shipping. For those prices, how do they compare to, say, Eastman, Kentucky and The Loar mandolins? Prices do not seem to be a superbargain unless they have gone up a lot or the quality is higher than those known and already imported brands.

They certainly look nice: A pictured below is $585 and dark brown F is $995 and reddish brown F is $755.

Views:	254 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	173428 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	266 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	173429 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	250 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	173430
    The A5 blonde with tortoise binding is the model I bought. Yesterday I went to a local store and I played it side by side with Eastman MD-805, MD-505, MD-305, MD-515, MD-315, Kentucky KM-250, KM-272, KM-505. I liked it better than every Eastman and Kentucky in the shop, both of which I think are better than the Loars I've played.
    I'd put it further up the chain somewhere near JBovier.
    I also played it side by side with a bunch of Collings and the Collings came out on top in that one. No surprise there.
    It is a bit of an unusual instrument as it has a larger body (10-3/16") than the standard A5 (9-7/8") and it has a much better bass and mid response because of it. I think the hand oiled semi-gloss finish helps contribute to an open sound as well.
    The 2 nits that I would pick with it are the low budget tuning machines and the guitar style screw-in endpin. The tuning machines actually work fine and are smooth and hold tune, they are just cheap looking. They are on par with the tuners on Eastman MD-305 and Kentucky KM-250. The endpin could be easily replaced with an ebony one with the careful use of a drill.
    I'll post a full review when I get a chance.
    Last edited by colorado_al; Dec-15-2018 at 4:13pm.

8. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

That blonde does look nice. That is great that it compares more than favorably with some other imports. looks like the brand name is Afanti though some of the other models have the brand taped over on the photos.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Their brand is Pango for electric instruments.
    For acoustic it is Afanti.

Well, this thread just cost me $1800. A mandolinist and his money are easily parted.

I too will post a full review when I receive the mandocello, have it set up and can play a little Bach on it.

Now the two-month-plus wait begins...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jonathan K For This Useful Post:

Can't wait to hear about it!
    Did you buy the oval hole or f hole?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pango-Music...3/173688914054

Here's my review of the A5
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...MD-717)-review
    I liked it so much that I ordered an F5 too.
    Last edited by colorado_al; Dec-30-2018 at 9:19pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan K View Post
    Well, this thread just cost me $1800. A mandolinist and his money are easily parted.

I too will post a full review when I receive the mandocello, have it set up and can play a little Bach on it.

Now the two-month-plus wait begins...
    If you buy two you can get them for 5% off.

Personally I like the look of the oval hole one:

Views:	239 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	173710
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

colorado_al, your comments on your Pango mandolins are very encouraging!

After YouTubing a bunch of mandocellos with f and oval holes - and recalling my experience playing f and oval hole mandolins at Gryphon last month - I ordered the oval hole F mandocello. I generally prefer the punch of f holes on my mandolins but I like the sonorousness of the oval hole on the mandocello.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonathan K For This Useful Post:

colorado_al, your comments on your Pango mandolins are very encouraging!

After YouTubing a bunch of mandocellos with f and oval holes - and recalling my experience playing f and oval hole mandolins at Gryphon last month - I ordered the oval hole F mandocello. I generally prefer the punch of f holes on my mandolins but I like the sonorousness of the oval hole on the mandocello.
    Pango/Afanti F5 mandolin review started here:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...MD-719)-review

Today I received an eBay notification that Pango will try to finish my mandocello in 25 days. Maybe I'll get it by end of February!

19. The following members say thank you to Jonathan K for this post:

Oh man, I'm excited about this thread. Please keep us abreast of the situation!
    Pomeroy #244 Custom Mandocello - "Liuto Americano"
    NS Design CR6 Electric Cello

Today I received an update from Pango:

Dear Jonathan

Great day! hope you are doing good

for your Mandocello, the body is almost ready now, pls check the photos,

for our Mandocello and Mandolins, all the details are made by hand to make sure every detail is perfect!

Your Mandocello will be ready before China spring festival

any questions or needs, pls tell me anytime

Sincerely, Ann

Plus several photos!

Views:	272 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	174029Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-2.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	174030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-3.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	174031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-4.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	174032Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-5.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	174033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-6.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	174034Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-7.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	174036Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-8.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	174037

So, I'm getting a good vibe about this whole thing! Now I just have to see when the China Spring Festival is...

22. The following members say thank you to Jonathan K for this post:

So, I'm getting a good vibe about this whole thing! Now I just have to see when the China Spring Festival is...
    Looking good! At least you now can have some confidence that an actual instrument is being built. "Spring Festival" is the same as Chinese New Year, which is on 5 February.

Martin

Your Mandocello will be ready before China spring festival
    I think you should work on some Chinese tunes to play on your Pangocello when it arrives. How about this one played with lots of tremolo:

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Sweet!
    That is a great looking back! Pretty cool that it is being made specifically for you. Can't wait to hear more about it!
    Looks like they are building a second at the same time. Wonder if that is already spoken for or will be available to purchase?

I have to believe they build everything in batches. It couldn't possibly make sense to build a single instrument for a single order if you really are the biggest mandolin factory in China.

But, I have to say, I never would have expected them to send me photos. Maybe they send this set of photos to everyone who orders a mandocello.

I have to believe they build everything in batches. It couldn't possibly make sense to build a single instrument for a single order if you really are the biggest mandolin factory in China.

But, I have to say, I never would have expected them to send me photos. Maybe they send this set of photos to everyone who orders a mandocello.
    I contacted them before purchasing the honey Amber A5 and they said they had certain models always built and in stock and that others are made to order. Certainly makes sense to build more than 1 at a time.
    They do build a lot of their lower end models for several brands that you would recognize. Washburn, Morgan Monroe, etc.
    You can buy those from Afanti, unbranded, with min order of 6 or 12 depending on the model. On the more expensive and better made instruments, they sell them by 1.

28. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

That's quite interesting! They also invited me to visit their factory. I'll certainly take them up on that offer the next time I'm in Weifang!

Aside from inviting you to the factory, what has customer service been like? Were you able to ask questions about the build or offer preferences? Did you experience any language barriers?
    Pomeroy #244 Custom Mandocello - "Liuto Americano"
    NS Design CR6 Electric Cello

Quote Originally Posted by thecelloronin View Post
    Aside from inviting you to the factory, what has customer service been like? Were you able to ask questions about the build or offer preferences? Did you experience any language barriers?
    The company has been great to deal with. They've been very responsive to questions (the nut width is 41mm = 1.6 in). Today I came back from a mini-tour with my band to this lovely missive:

Dear Jonathan

Great day! our best luthier had finished this great Mandocello for you! attached are the photos, pls check them

all top solid flamed maple wood! all the details handmade! the best Ebony fingerboad! it is the best Mandocello in the world, we believe you will love it!

we have packed it very well! you will get it very soon!

Ann

And here are some of the photos:

Name:	s-l1600-9.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	246.6 KB 
ID:	174429Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-10.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	280.0 KB 
ID:	174430Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-11.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	211.2 KB 
ID:	174431Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-12.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	186.0 KB 
ID:	174432Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-13.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	174433Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-14.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	180.7 KB 
ID:	174434Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-15.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	271.9 KB 
ID:	174435

Looks awright to me!

I also got shipping info today, so now the long wait begins!

I plan to prepare an unboxing video and then a review/performance video once it's set up.

So exciting!

32. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jonathan K For This Useful Post: