Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another "flying with my mandolin" thread

Default another "flying with my mandolin" thread

The "mandolin 10,000 k from earth" thread sparks a question that I know has been discussed at length in the past--but I also know airline policies and practices can change quickly. I'm flying United r/t to Beijing and will be there for a month. That's a long time to go through mandolin withdrawal. Plus, after a long period of stagnation, I'm really making some progress these last few months. But I only have one mandolin and I'm nervous about taking it. Seems United has a policy that allows for a small instrument to be taken on board as a carry-on, along with a personal item. But if some a-hole insists on me checking it, it's a disaster. Any recent advice or success or horror stories are welcome!

Default Re: another "flying with my mandolin" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Miller View Post
    The "mandolin 10,000 k from earth" thread sparks a question that I know has been discussed at length in the past--but I also know airline policies and practices can change quickly. I'm flying United r/t to Beijing and will be there for a month. That's a long time to go through mandolin withdrawal. Plus, after a long period of stagnation, I'm really making some progress these last few months. But I only have one mandolin and I'm nervous about taking it. Seems United has a policy that allows for a small instrument to be taken on board as a carry-on, along with a personal item. But if some a-hole insists on me checking it, it's a disaster. Any recent advice or success or horror stories are welcome!
    https://www.amazon.com/Rogue-RM-100A...e+RM100A+black

or

https://www.amazon.com/Rogue-SO-069-...e+RM100A+black

Some people like Rogue mandolins, some don't. You may have to do some setup for bridge placement and height, but either of these might be the least expensive option.

As for flying with an instrument, when you get to the gate, don't say anything about it to the gate agent, unless they ask you first. Just carry it on like it's the most natural thing in the world.

https://www.transportation.gov/airco...al-instruments

The real fun can start when you get in the cabin. Depending on the airline, some cabin attendants may stow it for you in a crew locker. This is a good thing. I usually fly Southwest Airlines, and they have never offered, so YMMV.

So now, do you stow it overhead, or under your seat? Either should be OK, although your cabin attendant may have other ideas (here's where my horror story begins): On one flight, I had a male cabin attendant who wouldn't let me stow it over head, even though there was room, or under a non-window seat, because it wouldn't fit completely under the seat in front of me. He would only allow me to store it under the seat if I sat nest to a window. Not usually a problem, but I had to "take care of business" in the most awful way and the flight was completely full. He wouldn't change his mind, and I didn't want to get booted off, so I did what he told me. It was the most uncomfortable flight I've ever been on. I couldn't get out of my seat and there was a line for the restroom.

I hope I never see this guy again. If I'd been smart I would have complained to the airline after the flight.

Most of the time there's no problem, but five years later I'm still a little nervous about traveling with an instrument.

Some people carry a copy of the rules with them, in case an attendant needs to be educated.
    You might also find out it's like arguing with a policeman.

Good luck, and safe travels.
    Last edited by Dick Dery; Jul-17-2018 at 12:46pm.

3. The following members say thank you to Dick Dery for this post:

I fly with my mandolin all the time with no issues. I get on as early as possible to make sure I have overhead space. The only way they would make you check your mandolin was if there was no overhead space left. So it pays to upgrade to an earlier spot in the boarding process if you're concerned about it.

The one time I was not able to find overhead space, I stored my mandolin under the seat. This is not allowed because it won't fit completely under the seat and could get in the way of one's feet in case of an emergency evacuation, but no one noticed.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stevo75 For This Useful Post:

go Rogue (musicians friends) & buy the gig bag that's on sale from the mandolin store right now for $14.00. total investment $64.00. now for the next question, can you carry small tools & strings on the plane.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandolin tony For This Useful Post:

I purposely upgraded on Delta to their Comfort+ seat on a r/t Raleigh to Seattle to assure my access to cabin bin space. I boarded on the Sky level, which is the second group boarding, and the Comfort+ entitled me to dedicated space in the bin above my seat. This gave me plenty of room for my mandolin case and a seat that was a little wider than coach seats. The big plus in the seat was the extra leg room. I plan to use Delta+ again and would not pay the extra for first class unless flying on an international flight. The differences between what I got and the first class is minimal, actually.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rdeane For This Useful Post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

I can’t add anything that has not been previously discussed. But I will add that it gets more difficult all the time with the airlines. Airlines are usually less difficult on international flights, but then you have to deal with Customs. US customs usually the worst or most diligent depending on how you interpret it.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

11. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

I fly all the time with my mandolin, domestic USA and international. I have never had a problem. I do suggest a sturdy case, and like others have said, get an early boarding spot so that you have plenty of overhead room to choose from.
    This is my current go-to travel case:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0759P1QS8

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

Mandolins are small, as instruments go, so you are unlikely to have an issue. You might if you are the last one on a totally full flight, but the worst that would happen that they would gate check the mandolin, which means they hand carry it to the place they keep things like baby carriages etc. It is usually returned to you right outside the door of the plane on the other end. Plus, if you have a good sturdy travel case, you shouldn't have any issues.

Generally, I never check an instrument. Even big ones. I travel with a large classical Indian Sitar, which has a great big case. I always take it out to the gate, and have them gate check it. This way it doesn't have to go through the airport baggage system, and it is hand carried down to the plane. I pick it up as I leave the plane at the other end. Never had a problem with this.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CWRoyds For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo75 View Post
    The one time I was not able to find overhead space, I stored my mandolin under the seat. This is not allowed because it won't fit completely under the seat and could get in the way of one's feet in case of an emergency evacuation, but no one noticed.
    Take out and read the safety information card. That might also get you just a passing glance.

17. The following members say thank you to Dick Dery for this post:

it shouldn't be a problem to take yer mando aboard the cabin, in an overhead or under the seat. i've done this many many times, with the mando in a hard case. however, owing to the nature of the airlines and the TSA, nothing is fool proof. if you feel yer beloved mando could become the target of a russian roulette loaded airlines revolver, do as already mentioned and go with a rogue - but *only* if you either know how best to set it up, or pay for a good setup, because it will absolutely require that work. as to strings and tools on the flight, if they're in yer luggage, no problem ... in the cabin, that could easily escalate to problem levels. good luck.
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!

19. The following members say thank you to rfd for this post:

When it comes to traveling with your mandolin, there is NO SUBSTITUTE for doing your homework! First and foremost, you should read what is written on the United Airlines website. I fly on United all the time with my mandolin, by the way (just shy of 1,000,000 lifetime miles by now). I have a very nice mandolin inside a carbon-fiber Hoffee case -- not some Rogue. I have not had to check it as baggage yet. Here is the official United policy:

Musical instruments

Depending on their size, musical instruments can be carried on board, handled as checked baggage, or carried as cabin-seat baggage.

In the case of customers who purchased a Basic Economy ticket, a small musical instrument may be carried on in addition to a small personal item, subject to the same conditions below. A larger musical instrument that does not fit in the overhead bin due to its size and is brought to the gate will be checked to your final destination and subject to the applicable checked baggage fees plus a $25 gate handling charge.

MileagePlus Premier® members, primary cardmembers of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or Star AllianceTM Gold members who purchased a Basic Economy ticket, are subject to the existing musical instrument policy that allows one small musical instrument as part of their carry-on baggage allowance.

As carry-on

As part of the allowance of one carry-on bag plus one personal item, a passenger may carry a violin, guitar or other small musical instrument on board the aircraft if:

The instrument can be stowed in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of the passenger; and
    There is space for stowage at the time when the passenger boards the aircraft
    Musical instruments transported on board United and United Express aircraft must be in hard-shell cases.

As checked baggage

An instrument should be packed in a hard-shell case to keep it protected during normal handling. Excess checked baggage service charges may apply if the customer is checking more than two items. Oversize charges apply to musical instruments that measure 63 - 115 linear inches. Overweight charges apply to musical instruments that are over 50 pounds, but musical instruments weighing up to 165 pounds will be accepted. If the instrument is over 115 linear inches, please contact the United Customer Contact Center.

Additionally, customers should loosen the strings on stringed instruments to protect the neck against damage caused by expansion and contraction, which can result from temperature variations during flight. See our Checked Baggage page for additional information about checking items.

Put simply, if you board the plane sufficiently early on United (due to cabin class, early boarding, high flier status, Economy Plus travel, or any other reason), the chances are very good that there will be some overhead space left for your mandolin. So just store it there! If you board too late, however, the chances are rather poor on an international flight (esp. to Beijing) that any closet space will be made available to you, unfortunately. Furthermore, NO NOT EVER COUNT on putting your mandolin in the underseat stowage. It simply won't fit -- I can absolutely guarantee that! Sometimes, the cabin attendants might turn a blind eye to that, but not usually. You can only place your mandolin "legally" in overhead stowage. So you need to put it there before all the overhead space fills up. 'nuff said.
    Last edited by sblock; Jul-17-2018 at 7:37pm.

21. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

Thanks, SBlock, this is very helpful. I was surprised to see the hard-shell case requirement even for carry-on. I had hoped that when traveling with an instrument that will fit under the seat in front of me, a padded gig bag would suffice. Apparently not. This is good to know beforehand.

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

23. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    Thanks, SBlock, this is very helpful. I was surprised to see the hard-shell case requirement even for carry-on. I had hoped that when traveling with an instrument that will fit under the seat in front of me, a padded gig bag would suffice. Apparently not. This is good to know beforehand.

Best wishes,

Bob
    Well, in practice, the hardshell case requirement is usually only applied only to checked instruments, not to carry-on. I have seen plenty of gig bags. But, in my opinion, you would be very foolish indeed to board an aircraft with a mandolin inside a gig bag. First, they might require your to check it when the overhead is full. Even if they don't, you never know when some moron might try to jam in their own carryon, directly on top of your gig bag in the overhead compartment! Also, there are steel struts in some overheads compartments that will cut into gig bags (and even gnaw at fiberglass cases, too -- ask me how I know)!

But one important thing to know is that your mandolin inside a case OR a gig bag (which makes it more than 22" long) will not fit legally fit under the seat. It will extend into the footspace, and that is an airlines no-no, because it is thought to impede an emergency exit scenario. You cannot store it under the seat. And if anyone tells you to the contrary, it's only because no one noticed at the time and called them on it!

25. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

if you want to go the fiberglass case route, go to Elderly instrument. they carry the Superior fiberglass cases. they are a lot of bang for the dollar, I have 3 of them a banjo, an F style one & a A style mandolin one & I am very happy with all 3 of them. if I remember right they were about $150.00 each. the banjo one I put to the test and stood on it.

27. The following members say thank you to mandolin tony for this post:

I flew on Delta Sunday with no problems at all. Looking forward to the flight home. This mandolin was designed for this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180715_065434.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	298.5 KB 
ID:	169518
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

29. The following members say thank you to Tom Haywood for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    Well, in practice, the hardshell case requirement is usually only applied only to checked instruments, not to carry-on. I have seen plenty of gig bags. But, in my opinion, you would be very foolish indeed to board an aircraft with a mandolin inside a gig bag. First, they might require your to check it when the overhead is full. Even if they don't, you never know when some moron might try to jam in their own carryon, directly on top of your gig bag in the overhead compartment! Also, there are steel struts in some overheads compartments that will cut into gig bags (and even gnaw at fiberglass cases, too -- ask me how I know)!

But one important thing to know is that your mandolin inside a case OR a gig bag (which makes it more than 22" long) will not fit legally fit under the seat. It will extend into the footspace, and that is an airlines no-no, because it is thought to impede an emergency exit scenario. You cannot store it under the seat. And if anyone tells you to the contrary, it's only because no one noticed at the time and called them on it!
    Hi SBlock,

Thanks for the info. It's actually not a mandolin that I was thinking about storing under-seat in a gig bag, but a smaller instrument. I take your point, though. For my prized mandolin, I would use my Hoffee and store it overhead. I have not been brave enough to go that route though, so when I travel by air, it has stayed at home. Mostly I travel by train, then it comes with me for sure.

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

SBlock has it right - as far as the official rules go & as long as the check in clerk knows the rules !!.. More than one person on here has had a run in with the check in clerks before now. If they aren't aware of the official policy,expect an argument = don't take it for granted that you'll be allowed on board with your mandolin. Having a printed copy of any individual airline ruling on the matter should get you past the check in.

Also,make sure that any of your ''bits & pieces'' that could be deemed 'dangerous',are in your other luggage,stowed in the hold. When you go through the scanner,you might be asked to open your case so that the security guys can check it. Anything that could be deemed 'dangerous' will not be allowed on board,& in the case of you not being able to put it in your other luggage,it'll be confiscated. I'd remove everything inc. the strap. Only the mandolin itself would be in the case,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

32. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

I flew to the US with United in May with a mandolin in a decent quality gig bag (Superior brand) as I have done numerous times over the past 10-15 years and not had a problem with United or any other airline. It is just a matter of finding an overhead not totally full of roll-on bags (which is often easier on international flights than domestic ones) and getting the mandolin securely wedged in on top of other soft bags or coats. It is a good idea to keep an eye on it until everyone is in and the bin doors are being closed.

34. The following members say thank you to Graham McDonald for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I flew delta with a then new washburn in a gator case. N worries. I imagine American is the same.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

36. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

*MUCH* of the what happens with *ALL* airlines is their *DISCRETIONARY* interpretations of *THEIR* rules. when you fly a *LOT* you quickly realize the impact of that sentence. you ARE at the mercy of the ticket agents, the TSA and the boarding agents. it will *ALWAYS* be a cr@p shoot of sorts with airlines and airports. true dat, for the very most of the time there will not be concerns, but airlines and the TSA are not exacting sciences. and airline agents from the same airline might NOT have the same mindset about their rules and regulations at the departing airport as the arriving airport - i KNOW that from personal experience, more than once.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rfd For This Useful Post:

how are the airlines with mandolin strings & small tools onboard. could that be considered a weapon ?.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolin tony View Post
    how are the airlines with mandolin strings & small tools onboard. could that be considered a weapon ?.
    in all honesty, and from lots of personal airline travel experience, are ya feelin' lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    *MUCH* of the what happens with *ALL* airlines is their *DISCRETIONARY* interpretations of *THEIR* rules. when you fly a *LOT* you quickly realize the impact of that sentence. you ARE at the mercy of the ticket agents, the TSA and the boarding agents. it will *ALWAYS* be a cr@p shoot of sorts with airlines and airports. true dat, for the very most of the time there will not be concerns, but airlines and the TSA are not exacting sciences. and airline agents from the same airline might NOT have the same mindset about their rules and regulations at the departing airport as the arriving airport - i KNOW that from personal experience, more than once.
    Yes and no. Things have changed a lot over the past five years, and so older experience is more-or-less irrelevant to the present discussion. Unfortunately, different airlines tend to have widely divergent policies with respect to traveling with musical instruments, so any experience with airlines other than United is more-or-less irrelevant to the OP's current inquiry, as well. Finally, TSA imposes has no special restrictions about bringing musical instruments through airport security (again: read their website, people!). The ability to travel with a mandolin is regulated by the airlines themselves, and NOT BY TSA. Unless you're carrying contraband inside your case (explosives, knives, flammables, etc.), the TSA will happily let you through with your mandolin. Extra strings, electronic tuners, humidifiers, pegwinders, etc., are all perfectly fine inside the case, by the way. TSA is not the problem.

The best possible advice is to know your specific airline's policy and carry a printout of it (from their website) with you, say, folded up inside your hardshell mandolin case. In the rare event that a gate agent questions your ability to bring a mandolin aboard -- and this is becoming increasingly rare, thank goodness! -- you can simply show them the policy. That usually works. If they still object, you can ask for a ruling by a supervisor. That always works, but then again, it costs time. Ten years ago this may have been more of an issue for mandolin travelers, but, thanks to greater uniformity and newly-formulated airline policies (a result of musician union lobbying efforts, by the way!), it is highly unusual to be stopped these days. At least, not by United Airlines. They have a clear, published policy to accept small instruments, and "discretion" does not play much of a role in that!

The problem today comes only when the overhead space begins to fill up! Under the current United rules, you are allowed a mandolin as a carry-on, but you do NOT have any special priority to store your mandolin in preference to any other kind of carry-on bag. So, you must be able to find sufficient overhead space. The only way to guarantee that is to be among the first passengers to board, before the space gets filled on a first-come, first-served basis. There are many ways to be among the first to board, including having high frequent flier status, spending extra money for priority boarding, buying a first or business class airfare, having a United Mileage Plus credit card, and -- my favorite (it's free) -- lining up as early as possible, to be the first person in your particular boarding group. Groups 1, 2 and 3 usually have adequate overhead space. Group 4 is iffy -- it depends on the flight. Groups 5 & 6 often have serious problems.

Anyway, in my experience, most of the horror stories of a decade past, while entertaining and still fresh in the minds of traumatized MC members, are not especially relevant to air travel in 2018. We are entering a new era. Not perfect, by any means, but a bit more standardized.

42. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    Yes and no. Things have changed a lot over the past five years, and so older experience is more-or-less irrelevant to the present discussion. Unfortunately, different airlines tend to have widely divergent policies with respect to traveling with musical instruments, so any experience with airlines other than United is more-or-less irrelevant to the OP's current inquiry, as well. Finally, TSA imposes has no special restrictions about bringing musical instruments through airport security (again: read their website, people!). The ability to travel with a mandolin is regulated by the airlines themselves, and NOT BY TSA. Unless you're carrying contraband inside your case (explosives, knives, flammables, etc.), the TSA will happily let you through with your mandolin. Extra strings, electronic tuners, humidifiers, pegwinders, etc., are all perfectly fine inside the case, by the way. TSA is not the problem.

The best possible advice is to know your specific airline's policy and carry a printout of it (from their website) with you, say, folded up inside your hardshell mandolin case. In the rare event that a gate agent questions your ability to bring a mandolin aboard -- and this is becoming increasingly rare, thank goodness! -- you can simply show them the policy. That usually works. If they still object, you can ask for a ruling by a supervisor. That always works, but then again, it costs time. Ten years ago this may have been more of an issue for mandolin travelers, but, thanks to greater uniformity and newly-formulated airline policies (a result of musician union lobbying efforts, by the way!), it is highly unusual to be stopped these days. At least, not by United Airlines. They have a clear, published policy to accept small instruments, and "discretion" does not play much of a role in that!

The problem today comes only when the overhead space begins to fill up! Under the current United rules, you are allowed a mandolin as a carry-on, but you do NOT have any special priority to store your mandolin in preference to any other kind of carry-on bag. So, you must be able to find sufficient overhead space. The only way to guarantee that is to be among the first passengers to board, before the space gets filled on a first-come, first-served basis. There are many ways to be among the first to board, including having high frequent flier status, spending extra money for priority boarding, buying a first or business class airfare, having a United Mileage Plus credit card, and -- my favorite (it's free) -- lining up as early as possible, to be the first person in your particular boarding group. Groups 1, 2 and 3 usually have adequate overhead space. Group 4 is iffy -- it depends on the flight. Groups 5 & 6 often have serious problems.

Anyway, in my experience, most of the horror stories of a decade past, while entertaining and still fresh in the minds of traumatized MC members, are not especially relevant to air travel in 2018. We are entering a new era. Not perfect, by any means, but a bit more standardized.
    i disagree. we are all at the mercy of what those in charge of flights *at the moment* dictate. that hasn't changed. not ever. never will either, because of business, FAA and political reasons. the mere fact that there are so many passenger and cargo factors involved in flying should be a head's up clue. my experiences with airlines and flying are now, not a decade ago. my son-in-law was an eastern airlines pilot and now his own private jet fleet business, for further reference. i fly commercial airlines monthly, and there are no guaranteed "standards". do yer own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    i disagree. we are all at the mercy of what those in charge of flights *at the moment* dictate. that hasn't changed. not ever. never will either, because of business, FAA and political reasons. the mere fact that there are so many passenger and cargo factors involved in flying should be a head's up clue. my experiences with airlines and flying are now, not a decade ago. my son-in-law was an eastern airlines pilot and now his own private jet fleet business, for further reference. i fly commercial airlines monthly, and there are no guaranteed "standards". do yer own thing.
    You seem to imply that it is the Wild West. It is not, and your comments strike me as being unnecessarily alarmist. I was careful, earlier, to point out that universal standards for air travel with instruments do not (alas) exist; perhaps you missed that? However, uniform standards are, nevertheless, being established within a given airlines. United Airlines is an excellent case in point. They do have a written policy, and I quoted that policy verbatim earlier in this thread. Unless you happen to encounter a rogue gate agent who is ignorant of company policy, United tries to implement its policy in an even-handed way on all their flights, worldwide. And more often than not, if you remind such a recalcitrant agent of the company policy, they are willing to follow it. I speak from direct experience flying on United, as a nearly 1,000,000 mile flyer -- not on Eastern Airlines, which may have a different policy. I'm on the road right now in Vermont with my mandolin in its Hoffee case. I flew from San Francisco to Boston to get here, flying Economy Plus class, and my mandolin rode comfortably with me in the overhead stowage.

Scare tactics and pessimism about things never changing (due to "business, FAA, and political reasons") are not very helpful, in my opinion. And they lead to no useful advice. Furthermore, they do not reflect the current travel situation very accurately. I have been traveling with instruments for over 35 years, and thanks to the most recent FAA regulations, it has never been easier to travel with my mandolin. Yes, there is still a long way to go and yes, different airlines implement different policies (which is maddening!) and not all policies are as generous as the one at United Airlines, by any means. But things have gotten better recently.

All that said, there is no substitute for traveling with a solid, hardshell case, like a Calton, Hoffee, or Pegasus. In the -- increasingly rare, thank goodness! -- event that the mandolin is put into the cargo hold, it will more likely survive when protected that way.

But let's keep this in perspective, please.

45. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post: