Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: D'Addario Monel Strings !

Default Re: D'Addario Monel Strings !

"Does anyone know if the 11.5 E and 16 A will be available within these sets?
    The medium and medium+ are the only DA Monel sets that I've seen".

You may have started something with that question, onassis...

I sure hope so, that's my favorite gauge. The medium+ seems really odd to me but I guess some people must like it.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Quote Originally Posted by mandopixie View Post
    "Does anyone know if the 11.5 E and 16 A will be available within these sets?
    The medium and medium+ are the only DA Monel sets that I've seen".

You may have started something with that question, onassis...
    Glad I'm not the only one....I would like a custom medium set option, with the 11.5,16,26,40 and for the plain strings to be exp coated as well.
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

The medium+ seems really odd to me
    Seemed odd to me too, but then I read that it's the same gauges as the iconic Gibson Sam Bush set.
    Mitch Russell

Quote Originally Posted by onassis View Post
    Seemed odd to me too, but then I read that it's the same gauges as the iconic Gibson Sam Bush set.
    Which is the opposite of what I'm wanting. My mandolins respond really well to the stouter E and A, but get overly "woofy" with the heavy D and G (particularly against the standard E and A)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seale View Post
    Which is the opposite of what I'm wanting. My mandolins respond really well to the stouter E and A, but get overly "woofy" with the heavy D and G (particularly against the standard E and A)
    Try the pure nickel from GHS 11 16 27 41 or 10.5 16 25 39. I like them a lot.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I purchased one set of the Martin Monel medium from Musicians Friend. They were on sale. Think I paid a couple of bucks. Come to find out they were back ordered and won't be shipped until the end of March. The gauge looks pretty good to me though I prefer something even heavier like the GHS 11 16 27 41 which pops1 wrote about. Love the stouter strings especially on the E/A. Never noticed any problem with heavier D/G. I'll need to listen for that.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

I just put on a set of the Martin Monels, Strings and Beyond has them in stock if you want something sooner.

I too usually like a thicker E and A course, but I'm gonna give them all a try. I figure that Monels are different enough from PB that my old ideas of the gauges that I like might go out the window.
    Mitch Russell

9. The following members say thank you to onassis for this post:

Registered User Gabriel Wiseman's Avatar

The gauge is the main thing for me as well... That's the primary reason I've been using the EXP74 CM's from DA. 11.5, 16, on the E and A makes a difference.
    Gabriel Wiseman
    https://poplme.co/pmywrpAD
    www.jtrband.com
    Curt Mangan Strings

2021 Duff 2 Point, 1947 Gibson J-50

Hello everyone! My name is Kyle and I work at D'Addario on the Fretted product development and management team. I drove the launch of our new monel mandolin sets in 2018. I'm glad to hear that a majority of you are enjoying the strings and I'm trying to catch all of the notes and requests I'm seeing in this thread.

I hear you all loud and clear on creating an equivalent EJ75 and/or EXP74CM set for Monel and will add it to our running list of product extensions.

To add some clarity to the questions about the gauges: We've been making strings for Sam Bush for a number of years now, since Gibson discontinued their monel string line. We approached Sam with the idea of releasing these as a branded product and he was ecstatic about the idea. For the initial launch we put out an EJ74 equivalent as well as the signature Sam Bush set. We're always considering adding line extensions to existing products and conversations like this sometimes help to steer the ship, so to speak.

Also - for those unfamiliar with Monel as a wrap alloy. It is a nickel-copper based alloy that was widely popular in the 1930s and 1940s. You can expect a warm, vintage tone from these strings. Of course, every instrument is different so I recommend trying some different sets out on your mandolins to find out what you think sounds best.

I am going to set up another thread where you can ask any questions you might have about our mandolin strings or otherwise!

Thanks for your awesome comments and feedback - have a great weekend.

-Kyle
    Last edited by D'Addario Strings; Mar-15-2019 at 11:08am.

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to D'Addario Strings For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Well I finally got to try out some of these D'Addario monels. So far I really like them.
    I still have a couple packs of the Martins that I might alternate between for comparison but so far I am impressed. Very clear sounding, good volume, good feel.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

I have been using Monel string for several months now. I like them, but they don't last very long. Plus I have gone back to plastic pick, instead of my Blue Chip pick.
    Thanks
    Gary

Gibson F5L
    Weber Gallatin

Tried them but did not like them ! I'm staying with my GHS A270's and Curt Mangan Bluegrass series strings.

I'm finding this thread very interesting and informative. I like hearing everyone's impressions and particularly appreciate the participation and input from D'Addario. One request: It would be more helpful, at least to me, if everyone would specify which D'Addario monel set they tried and are reporting on...the 74's or the 75's. Thanks and cheers.

17. The following members say thank you to Benski for this post: