Thread: Glue for F-5 Bone Point Protector

Default Glue for F-5 Bone Point Protector

I just noticed that one of the bone point protectors on my Copperhead has come lose. It is still a very snug fit, but it will come out if you slide it. What glue would you use? I don't have access to hide glue. Titebond? Superglue?

Thanks.

Default Re: Glue for F-5 Bone Point Protector

Titebond sticks to bone pretty well, but it may not stick to whatever glue the builder used, and that is still present on/in the wood of the point. Superglue does a pretty good job, but it is difficult to control and causes severe damage to many finishes. Epoxy works pretty well for bone points. It can be cleaned off of most finishes before it cures.

Thanks John. I'll try to contact the builder to find out what glue he used. If he used hide glue won't that bond back to itself? Do the liquid hide glues bond back to hot hide glue?

I used a CA glue to very carefully reglue a point protector. Cleaned a residue adhesive from the initial gluing first. Worked fine.

5. The following members say thank you to dorenac for this post:

I don't want to get too aggressive cleaning old glue because the fit is still tight. After a little more searching, I'm thinking of knox gelatin if the old glue is hide glue.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tbrahan View Post
    I don't want to get too aggressive cleaning old glue because the fit is still tight. After a little more searching, I'm thinking of knox gelatin if the old glue is hide glue.
    I’ve experimented with some Knox gelatin recently on small woodworking projects and I can’t speak to its longevity but I know that it works and has good adhesion. If it’s good enough for Frank Ford it’s good enough for me.

I glued one back on with Elmer`s glue about 20 years ago and it has never came loose...